White Sox v. Mariners

AddisonStSox

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
With the way we had Ichiro defended, you can't go slow/low in that situation.  He had almost the entire left side of the infield to hit it through.  Our lack of hitting tonight put us in a dog fight.  Please Ozzie....no matter if we win or lose, no more games where we bench 3 starters.

I think we actually have a better chance at winning more games if we bench 3 guys in 1 game than if we bench 1 guy in each of 3 games.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
I think we actually have a better chance at winning more games if we bench 3 guys in 1 game than if we bench 1 guy in each of 3 games.

Really? Our lineup tonight is weak, no doubt about it. If you have 8 of your normal starters, and one bencher in the lineup, you still have your main lineup in the game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
Really?  Our lineup tonight is weak, no doubt about it.  If you have 8 of your normal starters, and one bencher in the lineup, you still have your main lineup in the game.

We actually looked at this a bit last year. When teams play their full starting lineup, they have a positive winning percentage on average. When they pull the first starter, it drops by a couple percent, but then for every starter you take out after that, the difference between the winning percentages is less. I think, IIRC, that when you multiply it out, you get a slightly better number if you rest your guys in bulk and then play your starters in as many other games togehter as you can.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
We actually looked at this a bit last year.  When teams play their full starting lineup, they have a positive winning percentage on average.  When they pull the first starter, it drops by a couple percent, but then for every starter you take out after that, the difference between the winning percentages is less.

But how about the fact that there will be subs in other games in this series? I'm sure

Widger will play on Wednesday night.