Iowa State to the Big Ten? Utah to the Big XII?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Penn St. decides to leave the Big 11 for the Big East? Not saying it's going to happen but you never know. Think of the advantages for Penn St. Fairly easy conference schedule, an almost automatic bid for a BCS game. Will be able to rekindle old natural rivalries. (Pitt, Syracuse, WV etc)

Edited by Walker2Baines

QUOTE(Walker2Baines @ May 6, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
What if Penn St. decides to leave the Big 11 for the Big East?  Not saying it's going to happen but you never know.  Think of the advantages for Penn St.  Fairly easy conference schedule, an almost automatic bid for a BCS game.  Will be able to rekindle old natural rivalries.  (Pitt, Syracuse, WV etc)

HAHA....WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!

I would not be suprised if the Big East doesnt lose the automatic BCS bid, i sure as hell think they should.

I would like to see a discussion on the automatic conference births for the BCS games.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 02:35 AM)
Theoretical New Big Ten alignment

West

Illinois

Iowa

Iowa St/Mizzou

Minnesota

Northwestern

Wisconsin

East

Indiana

Michigan

Michigan St

Ohio St

Penn St

Purdue

I would say Mich and Ohio ST would be seperated the west would be so weak the way it is now.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ May 7, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
I would say Mich and Ohio ST would be seperated the west would be so weak the way it is now.

You got something to say about Minnesota being weak?! :angry:

:P

Edited by Felix

Since 1991 that arrangement would have produced the following results:

West Big 10 Champions:

1993 Wisconsin *

1995 NU

1996 NU*

1998 Wisconsin **

1999 Wisconsin

2000 NU**

2000 Purdue**

2001 Illinios

2002 Iowa*

2004 Iowa*

East Big 10 Champions:

1991 Michigan

1992 Michigan

1993 OSU*

1994 PSU

1996 OSU*

1997 Michigan*

1998 Michigan**

1998 OSU **

2000 Purdue**

2000 Michigan**

2002 OSU *

2003 Michigan

2004 Michigan*

2005 PSU *

2005 OSU*

West would have 3 outright champions, East has 4

West has a champion in 9 of the years, East has a champion in 12 of the years.

Whichever conference was given Michigan would have a significant edge. Michigan alone accounted for 7 of them (including shared championships).

Its hard to say the West would be much weaker, just it would not have the 2 most prolific and hyped teams. They would still get their fair share of champions and have the up and coming programs as compared to the old guard of the East.

Yes OSU and Michigan have the best past history, but as of now Iowa and Wisconsin are 2 programs on the rise.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ May 6, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
HAHA....WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!

I would not be suprised if the Big East doesnt lose the automatic BCS bid, i sure as hell think they should.

I would like to see a discussion on the automatic conference births for the BCS games.

The Big East is a powerbroker in the BCS. Their commish had a lot to do with the BCS being formed. They won't lose jack. And if ND ever does go anywhere, it won't be to the Big 11. It will be the Big East. They already play all other sports in the Big East.

QUOTE(Walker2Baines @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
The Big East is a powerbroker in the BCS.  Their commish had a lot to do with the BCS being formed.  They won't lose jack.  And if ND ever does go anywhere, it won't be to the Big 11.  It will be the Big East.  They already play all other sports in the Big East.

Did I ever say ND would go to the BigTen? I did make a comment about ND being scared to play OSU though....which is true. Do you really think the Big East should have an auto bid?

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Did I ever say ND would go to the BigTen?  I did make a comment about ND being scared to play OSU though....which is true.  Do you really think the Big East should have an auto bid?

The ND comment wasn't directed to you.

Though I don't believe the Big East should get a BCS bid, that doesn't matter because the Big East is a powerbroker in the BCS.