Too early to worry??

Capn12

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Your right... Widger is a game calling GOD!!!! Every pitcher he was caught this year just happens to have off days on the days HE CATCHES THEM!!!  :bang

Quit being such a drama queen. Pitchers have had bad days even with the Resident God of Catchers behind the plate. Chris Widger as a back, up catcher is better than 90% of the crap you see behind the plate on other back up Cs offdays. And once again, realize you are flipping out over a back up catcher.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
I know, Buehrle looked pretty damn good early on, his fastball was poppin, curve was breaking big time and his change was crazy unhittable but Widger still managed to screw it up. Maybe it's time for him to hang it up and for Stewart to take over now.

Yeah, it's Widger's fault that Buehrle left EVERYTHING over the plate in Sea and today in Cle. :huh:

QUOTE(Allsox @ May 2, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah, it's Widger's fault that Buehrle left EVERYTHING over the plate in Sea and today in Cle.  :huh:

Widger is the only catcher on the Sox who has the signal for "hanger right down the middle". They never taught it to AJ, and that's why all pitchers suck when Chris Widger catches :bang

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Ohh come on... Has Widger caught anyone yet that has actually had a decent game... I mean lets get real here... I love him for what he did last year but that was LAST YEAR! His CERA sucks it hard!

So what exactly are you arguing here? That AJ should never get another off day? That we should bring up a rookie from AAA to be our backup catcher because he'll surely call a better game than the guy who's been in the league for 10 years?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Fine so it's the pitchers fault that he can't call a decent game to save his life... I'm sick of arguing about it... I stated my point...

Actually all you said is that he calls a s*** game, you never offered a solution.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 2, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Ohh come on... Has Widger caught anyone yet that has actually had a decent game... I mean lets get real here... I love him for what he did last year but that was LAST YEAR! His CERA sucks it hard!

Despite what some people here think, Buehrle isn't infallable. He's more than capable of a bad game every once in a while without any help from a bad backup catcher.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Despite what some people here think, Buehrle isn't infallable.  He's more than capable of a bad game every once in a while without any help from a bad backup catcher.

Actually MB tends to have these meltdowns it seems semi-regularly. It's just the way the guy is, he'll shut down a few teams in a row then allow 6 runs, he's done it his entire career, especially last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Actually MB tends to have these meltdowns it seems semi-regularly. It's just the way the guy is, he'll shut down a few teams in a row then allow 6 runs, he's done it his entire career, especially last year.

I agree. For every three gems he pitches, he'll drop a turd.

Widger has a bad CERA after 1 month, and as is the Soxtalk way, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!

And this could be Widger's last season with the Sox anyway. We've got Chris Stewart down in the minors, and IIRC the White Sox hierachy do rate him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
Season-long view I think Garland will be fine, but I think the big thing is that he hasn't pitched inside nearly enough, and needs to be paired with AJ every chance he gets to force him to get that agression back.

The talk about AJ calling better games than Widger was pretty evident with Jon's start last night. Jon was sawing off bats all night. AJ has him pitch inside 10 times more than Widger, and Jon's only earned run last night was on 2 ducksnorts where the hitters were eaten up. When Jon pitches inside, you have starts like last night. When he doesn't, you have starts like his one against the Angels.

My guess is no trades this season of any starting pitcher. The only thing we may need on this club is a stud closer and there aren't any out there I know of that are being offered around. Jenks has been shaky at times, but is young and learning at the ML level just like McCarthy. So far we have been getting it done and have a really good offense that can make up for the shaky relief corp.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
The only thing we may need on this club is a stud closer

I disagree. I think another solid righty in the pen for the 7th and 8th inning is needed. Cliff has had a couple nice appearances in a row so hopefully he's getting back to form. If not, we have Nelson waiting in the wings. If that option isn't used I could see Kenny looking to make a deal.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
I disagree.  I think another solid righty in the pen for the 7th and 8th inning is needed.

Agreed. We already have a reliable closer, but are in need of a good right-handed setup man. I don't trust Politte and would be surprised if Hermanson's ever going to be an effective pitcher again.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 8, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
I don't know about this.  Politte and McCarthy have both proven they get major league hitters out.  Nelson is working his way toward Chicago.  I don't see this as a major area of concern.

Looking at Politte's career numbers, I don't see him repeating last year's performance. An average season from Cliff is OK, but I don't feel comfortable with him being the go-to guy in the 8th. And with Hermanson's return still a huge question mark, I think that we could really use another option for the set-up role. Thornton and Logan can't be relied upon and Cotts and B-Mac already have other roles. Hell, I'm not sure that Nelson will even be back up to speed by the trade deadline. Agreed that it's not a MAJOR area of concern. It will be of little concern once the playoffs roll around, but we need to make sure that we get there first.