White Sox @ Twins Game Thread

aboz56

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
It didn't come into play tonight but after looking at the ERA's of our relievers, damn, we need bullpen help.

As has been said many times before, ERA for releivers can be deceiving.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)

Actually it can be said as so, however our relievers have been giving up runs at a good clip for a while now.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
I guess its a testament to how good this club is that so many people want to jump off the wagon after a 3 GAME L STREAK. 3 games. You tell me that the Sox will split a series with the Twins AT there park, I will be ok with it. They need to get the next two, then move onto Tampa, bank a few in the W column.

Yes, a split would be fine. But lot of work to do for that

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 13, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)

Yeah, if you're exclusively reading a boxscore. Liriano may have appeared a scrub to some prior this evening.

Anyone watching the game knows our bullpen numbers are fairly accurate. No big innings to inflate numbers. Everyone aside from Cotts (and more recently Politte) have had trouble pitching well on consecutive appearances.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
I guess its a testament to how good this club is that so many people want to jump off the wagon after a 3 GAME L STREAK. 3 games. You tell me that the Sox will split a series with the Twins AT there park, I will be ok with it. They need to get the next two, then move onto Tampa, bank a few in the W column.

Its not people jumping off the bandwagon. Its people not happy about the pen giving up runs at a good clip. Its our 18 game winner coming out today publicly saying that he has no confidence in his pitches and doesnt know what to do about it. Its giving up runs to a poor hitting team at a real good clip. I figured we would lose to Santana. I however thought we would rock Radke and our pitching would hold up for the next 3 games.

Garland vs Kazmir That doesnt look promsing.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 13, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
Oh, I will.

When we're witnessing our crown jewel Lance Broadway battling Liriano, perhpas others will begin to realize how far off we are from producing a quality system. Sure, we have McCarthy; but Minnesota has their equivalent in Baker. Need to do more then one contributing player once every 4 years.

Am I to believe Minnesota, of ALL the teams in the majors, lucked into Santana and perhaps the one pitcher who can duplicate his numbers? If Williams is intent on mimicking the Twins organization, why not mimick their scouting and minor league development?

I've said before in other threads, you can't find your Lirianos or Santanas refusing to scout players from Central American countries. Perhapas the Twins don't have CA scouts either, but they sure have people who can recognize talent.

We're battling them on the field--why not battle them in the minors as well? I'm tired of watching arm after arm fail upon promotion on the big league club. If you don't hold standards--even those which may appear unreasonable, why do anything? Let's keep drafting people and hoping they'll be good bargain chips for a team when midseason approaches. Worked one year, why not again--right?

Well let's review how they got both Santana and Liriano.

They got Santana by having the second pick in the Rule 5 draft. You have to be REALLY BAD to pick that high.

They got Liriano because AJ Pierzynski was expendable. Why was AJ expendable? Because they got Joe Mauer with the second pick in the June first-year player draft. You have to be REALLY BAD to pick that high.

The Sox will put themselves in position to get talent commensurate with their slot in the draft. Keep that in mind. The Sox have a 3rd baseman who is 3rd in the IL in OPS right now. They have a third baseman in the Major Leagues with an underappreciated glove and .950OPS right now. Seems to me that they have a position of strength (like AJ/Mauer) to deal from.

You say you have high standards, and that our callups all fail. Yet Liriano had an ERA north of 7 in his first 20 days up in the majors. You would be one of the first ones to call for his head had he done that here.

You want to emulate the Twins, yet the only hitter who they've developed in the last 15 years who has any combination of power and batting eye, they let go. For nothing. Jacque Jones, Torii Hunter, Luis Rivas, Christian Guzman, Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer (just might work out), Lew Ford, Dustin Mohr, Bobby Kielty, Michael Restovich, Matt LeCroy, and soon Bartlett, Kubel, Spahn, etc... all appeared to be good prospects at one point. Hunter and Jones are the most successful of the bunch, and neither one should be considered a plus offensive player. -- They can hit HRs, but don't hit for average or draw walks. Todd Walker might be the second best hitter they've developed since their last world series, and they shipped him out too.

You have to recognize that they have deficiencies too. No team/organization is perfect. They all have different goals and are pulling from the same talent pool. There are no Sid Fitches out there. No matter which central American country they come from.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
I go by what ESPN says on their schedule.

Bonds vs. Bonds?