GAME THREAD 5-16-06 SOX vs RAYS

Well, this makes it official. The Mets' July 2004 trade of young stud Scott Kazmir to the Devil Rays for Victor Zambrano is the worst Met trade since Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan.

You might call me crazy for saying that considering Kazmir has pitched a year and a half in the big leagues and despite being quite successful, hasn't proved enough to call this the worst Met trade in 35 years. But, it's more than just the talent differential between the 2 hurlers that made it so bad. That trade has just left a huge cloud over the Mets' franchise in the 22 months since it happened, with the climax coming Saturday afternoon when Zambrano ran off the field at Shea, likely to never be seen again in Mets' blue and orange, due to ligament damage in his right elbow.

But, I'm not crying foul over this trade anymore. I have for almost 2 years. It was under the last regime of Jim Duquette, who by the way could have traded Kazmir for Alfonso Soriano at the start of that year, but waited 3 months to trade him for Zambrano just because he beat the Yankees a couple times that year. But, I digress.

It's time to move on Met fans! That dreaded #38 will likely never take the Shea mound again for the Amazins and we just have to hope Omar doesn't let history repeat himself here. Losing Zambrano for the season is not the worst thing that could happen. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the guy, as he never said or did anything bad to Met fans for them to hate him like they do. But he was the #5 starter, and there's no reason to go trading Lastings Milledge or Mike Pelfrey for Dontrelle Willis or Barry Zito in mid-May because of that.

If you can get a Tony Armas Jr. or an Aaron Sele right now without giving much up, then go ahead. But if you go after an ace pitcher in May, you're going to get ripped off. Omar should be smart enough to know that, but with the incompetency of prior Met GM's, long-time Met fans like myself can only think the worst. The Amazins are 21-10 and can get by with the staff they have until July I am sure where I agree, that they will need to pull a trade for a front end of the rotation guy.

But until then sit tight Met fans, and enjoy 1st place.

Edited by WHarris1

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
This feels like one of those games where it never seems like we have much of a chance for some reason.

For some strange reason, a lot of games at Tampa feel that way.

I think the umpire kind of overreacted there. Kazmir just did a little hop. He didn't throw his arms up and yell or anything.

But if it gets Kazmir off his game, good for us.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ May 16, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
I guess I should just look the other way with Anderson's awful hitting.

How many hitters break into the league and tear the cover off the ball? How many years did we wait for Crede to come around? All you need out of BA (and I have said this since the Rowand trade) is to play good defense and learn major league pitching as he goes. If BA hits .250 of the season, it's a success for his rookie year.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)

Remember that walkoff a few years ago on the fourth of July? That was one of the worst games I can I've ever seen.

And we continue to look helpless. We've been kind of stagnant recently. We need a nice win streak to fix things up.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)

Seems like we never really play well down there. Juice Box is one of those places I hate watching games on TV at. Just dull and dark.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
Remember that walkoff a few years ago on the fourth of July? That was one of the worst games I can I've ever seen.

wow, thanks for bringing that up.

That completely ruined that day, f***ing koch

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)

That was the day I lit a Billy Koch baseball card on fire.

True story.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)

And we continue to look helpless. We've been kind of stagnant recently. We need a nice win streak to fix things up.

You mean we're not going to have 7 hitters batting .300 all season? Thankfully, Pods has been superb lately. He's swinging with more confidence than he ever has on the Sox.