UPPER DECK FOOD

retro1983hat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
I never eat at the games. I stop at Little Ceasar's and buy a $5 pizza to split with either my dad or a friend, whichever one I'm going to the game with. You get a whole pizza for the price of one slice. Then I just take some bottled waters from home. It saves a lot of money and time in the lines.

not buying alot of food is fine, but c'mon, you gotta have at least one dog at a game.

Those dogs with onions are to die for.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
not buying alot of food is fine, but c'mon, you gotta have at least one dog at a game.

I was going to say, it's impossible for me to go to a baseball game and not eat there.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)

When it's $20 for gas, $18 for parking, plus the price of tickets, it's hard for me to give up money for overpriced food. When my parents start giving me money or I get more, then I'll eat more. Plus, I'm as picky an eater as you will find and I don't like anything much other than the nachos and hot dogs.

Where were the "tacos" I got some small chicken tacos the onyl ones I saw that I thought I had heard you guys mention but when I ordered the only tacos I saw I was disappointed. they reminded me of the tacitos that you get from Costco in bulk. they were good but not what I was expecting. Now the BRATS were amazing. Nice grilled onions, sweet green peppers and the brown mustard.... yummmm

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
I never eat at the games. I stop at Little Ceasar's and buy a $5 pizza to split with either my dad or a friend, whichever one I'm going to the game with. You get a whole pizza for the price of one slice. Then I just take some bottled waters from home. It saves a lot of money and time in the lines.

On halsted? Nice, I didnt know anyone else knew that secret.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
When it's $20 for gas, $18 for parking, plus the price of tickets, it's hard for me to give up money for overpriced food. When my parents start giving me money or I get more, then I'll eat more. Plus, I'm as picky an eater as you will find and I don't like anything much other than the nachos and hot dogs.

There is nothing better than a kosher WITH topped off with yellow mustard. However, here is a change of pace to save money on an excellent meal. Take the train from where ever you live and hook up with the Red Line at some point. Get off in Chinatown and eat at Penang. Top it off with a few beers (Tsingtao)and then head to the game (your transfer should stil be valid after you eat). It is not the same as the kosher, but I have already been to about 10 games this year and it was a nice alternative the other day and saved me from the lines, high prices, and missing out on the most important part...the game.

QUOTE(Beltin @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
It is not the same as the kosher, but I have already been to about 10 games this year and it was a nice alternative the other day and saved me from the lines, high prices, and missing out on the most important part...the game.

Get to the game early and eat during BP.

No lines, no missing out.

Guest JimH

I love eating at one of the many great neighborhood spots, or picking up the food and eating it in the parking lot. The food in Bridgeport is underappreciated, generally inexpensive, and there's just about anything you'd want.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
I love eating at one of the many great neighborhood spots, or picking up the food and eating it in the parking lot. The food in Bridgeport is underappreciated, generally inexpensive, and there's just about anything you'd want.

I am fascinated by this idea, but being an unadventurous suburbanite, I would love to get more info on which places I should be trying.

Guest JimH
I am fascinated by this idea, but being an unadventurous suburbanite, I would love to get more info on which places I should be trying.

Tell me what you like to eat and I'll tell you the places ... there are at least a dozen.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Tell me what you like to eat and I'll tell you the places ... there are at least a dozen.

Theres not much I don't like to eat. :ph34r: But I would love to know where we could get a good burger, beef, or sausage on our way to the parking lot to accompany our tailgate festivities. Since the grilling food yourself always seems a bit excessive.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)

You're picky about the food you eat, but you eat Little Ceasars? That pizza is awful.

Guest JimH
But I would love to know where we could get a good burger, beef, or sausage on our way to the parking lot to accompany our tailgate festivities.

Stan's Drive In - This is a little place with great food, carry out only. It's at Archer and Lock St., just exit the Stevenson at Ashland, get to Archer and go east. It's a small yellow building with a Pepsi sign on the south side of Archer. Great Chicago style hotdogs for $1.35. Hot dog, fries, drink for $3. The combo sandwich is fantastic, get the giardiniera on it for a special treat. Also great milk shakes. Not open on Sundays and only until 3 pm on Saturdays is the only problem. It is great for Sat. tailgates if you get there in time.

Freddy's - Corner of 31st and Union, right across the street from Pancho Pistoles, a sit down Mexican place with good food, margaritas, and a small streetside seating section where you can watch the traffic go by. Anyways Freddy's is a beef/sausage/fries/hot dogs/burgers type of place. Very popular with the neighborhood, Chicago cops, city worker, etc. which should tell you all you need to know.

Ricobene's - 26th and Wells, north side of 26th St. Same set up as Freddy's except you can get draft Michelob, Bud, and Bud Lite and it's a little roomier and cleaner than Freddy's IMO, and there's a parking lot across the street. Plus you just meander south on Wells St. to get to the parking lots. Their menu has everything, some people rave about their breaded steak sandwiches. Try the pizza by the slice, especially the thick stuff, it's great.

Tacos Erendira - 3200 block of S. Halsted, this is not Taco Bell stuff, get some tacos and chips or even better try the burritos, I recommend getting them without the lettuce/tomato stuffing, just tell them meat and beans. It is fantastic, don't be afraid of it. Steak burritos, chicken burritos, pork stew burritos and they cost no more than $3.50. It's been in the neighborhood since the late 60's, a gem. Can't get a beer in there but it's perfect to grab it to go and eat in the parking lot.

Hot Wings - roughly 35th and Halsted, actually 1/2 block east of Halsted, between Halsted and Emerald. Chicken wings and chicken sandwiches to go. This used to be where Tacos Erendira was and it's owned by the same family. The wings are great.

There are, of course, several other places which are more sit down, like Schallers Pump at 37th and Halsted (historic), Amelia's (Mexican food, very good) at 45th and Halsted, Skylark (great place) at 22nd and Halsted, Chinatown, Bertucci's Corner (IMO best Italian food at the best value) at 24th and Princeton, the list goes on and on. Cobblestone's at 39th and Emerald (Italian and Cajun and you can park there and walk). Also another good place for carry out is the David Berg/Vienna Beef outlet place on 39th just west of Halsted, hot dogs and corned beef, all the city workers go there too.

Oh and one last one off the top of my head, Maxwell St. Depot at 31st and Canal. How did I forget this one. Hot dogs, pork chop sandwiches, very convenient to the park, fries are almost always really greasy though but I guess that's part of the charm. Also it's open 24 hrs. so it's a great place to grab some cheap grub after the game.

One of these days I will have to write an article and have it archived here. There are literally at least a dozen more places, and we haven't even covered the saloons yet. Quick saloon mention, Puffers at 33rd and Halsted has $5 pitchers of PBR.

Now you know. :D

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
Oh and one last one off the top of my head, Maxwell St. Depot at 31st and Canal. How did I forget this one. Hot dogs, pork chop sandwiches, very convenient to the park, fries are almost always really greasy though but I guess that's part of the charm. Also it's open 24 hrs. so it's a great place to grab some cheap grub after the game.

Just about every game I go to I stop off at Maxwell St. Depot for a pork chop sandwhich, an A&W root beer and some fries and eat it in the parking lot, it's practically tradition at this point.

QUOTE(jenksd @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
It's alright, ain't no one finding that s*** without directions.

they better not, its located in by far the best value stand in the park.

Jim, I liked your review, however I must add one additional place. Ashland and 35th there is a hamburger heaven that is absolutley awesome. When I worked at the wrigley plant, I used to eat there every day. Also open 24hrs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Or save your money and buy a beer belly. www.thebeerbelly.com. Holds 80 oz. Will pay for itself after a couple of games.

haha, yes!

usually i just sneak in a bottle of whiskey

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
stop off at Maxwell St. Depot for a pork chop sandwhich, an A&W root beer and some fries

thats the tip

Guest JimH
they better not, its located in by far the best value stand in the park.

Jim, I liked your review, however I must add one additional place. Ashland and 35th there is a hamburger heaven that is absolutley awesome. When I worked at the wrigley plant, I used to eat there every day. Also open 24hrs.

Yes, Kevin's Hamburger Heaven, just east of Ashland on 35th. Good call on that one.

Edited by JimH