Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
I'm a bit late, but I wanted to mention that I considered the Italy-US game to have been excellent.

Anyone think Italy will beat the Czechs?

Well, the Czechs have had some problems with injuries and cards that the Italians will not have to deal with. Also, I think the Italians will not have a difficult time getting up for the Czechs after the draw with the US. I think both games Thursday morning will be spectacular and I just wish a bar in Champaign would open that early so I could watch both games that morning.

That being said, it may be better the bars not open that early, have to save myself for the drive back to Chicago for Sox-Cards that night. :cheers

The Czechs are like night and day with their first two games. The Ghana tape should show Italy exactly how to beat them, though it's not really Italy's style. I expect a lot of time spent in the midfield in a European style game where the Czech team's age and injuries will ultimately be their undoing. At least, I hope that's how things play out.

With the France Korea draw, it seems like the Swiss, with a win over Togo, should be in pretty good position, provided they can tie with Korea or beat them, or if Togo can tie or beat France, if I understand that right.

Either way....go Suisse.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Italy is simply better than the Czechs. I don't see Italy losing, I fear a draw.

The absence of Koller really showed against Ghana. Their age is not that big of an issue. Age is extremely overrated in soccer. Especially here in the US.

And for the US to advance, you have to worry about beating a tough Ghana team 1st.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
The absence of Koller really showed against Ghana. Their age is not that big of an issue. Age is extremely overrated in soccer. Especially here in the US.

And for the US to advance, you have to worry about beating a tough Ghana team 1st.

Yeah, Italy IMO will definitely beat the Czechs.....however I'm 50/50 at best on the U.S. beating Ghana.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
Help.

If the US beats Ghana and the Czechs and Italy tie, won't the US and the Czechs each have 4 points??

Then what?

Goal differential is the tiebreaker then, in which case the U.S. is screwed. Italy and the U.S. both have to win pretty much if the U.S. is to advance.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
Yeah, Italy IMO will definitely beat the Czechs.....however I'm 50/50 at best on the U.S. beating Ghana.

Goal differential is the tiebreaker then, in which case the U.S. is screwed. Italy and the U.S. both have to win pretty much if the U.S. is to advance.

Got it, thx.

I just realized Spain in a soft group. Let's see how they do in round two.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
The Ukraine is not weak. <_>

Never said they were. Just that Spain is better.

3-0 Spain on the PK by Torres. If he is smart, he'd get out of Atletico Madrid and go to a bigger club.

Edited by SoxFan1