AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

greasywheels121

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Stopper my arse -- he gave up 5 earned runs in 6 innings. Name another starting pitcher who would have a 4-2 record with a 6.25 ERA. Garland is having a 2004 Shawn Estes season this year.

To be fair, that 5th earned run was a result of B-Mac's wild pitch. And he seemed to be getting squeezed a bit at first. But, yes, Jon only really pitched well in the 3rd-5th innings. The one positive to take away from him today was that he threw strikes inside. But he really needs to keep those balls in the park... IIRC, he's given up something like 7 bombs over his past two starts. Yikes!

Outside of that and Pods' pathetic error, we played quite well. The offense capitalized on opportunities and B-Mac and Jenks were very solid. :cheers

To be fair, that 5th earned run was a result of B-Mac's wild pitch. And he seemed to be getting squeezed a bit at first. But, yes, Jon only really pitched well in the 3rd-5th innings. The one positive to take away from him today was that he threw strikes inside. But he really needs to keep those balls in the park... IIRC, he's given up something like 7 bombs over his past two starts. Yikes!

Outside of that and Pods' pathetic error, we played quite well. The offense capitalized on opportunities and B-Mac and Jenks were very solid. :cheers

Garland gave up a leadoff double on his first pitch in that inning. He left an inherited runner in scoring position. That's baseball.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ May 28, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
It's a little embarrasing to lose 2 of 3 to Toronto but at least we salvaged a win.

Tampa Bay was embarrasing, these guys hit like madmen at the Skydome and have a team OPS pushing .900 at that place.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Garland gave up a leadoff double on his first pitch in that inning. He left an inherited runner in scoring position. That's baseball.

Yes, and the pitch that lead to that double was near Figueroa's feet. Not exactly a bad pitch from Jon. B-Mac's wild pitch that allowed Figueroa to reach third and score on the DP didn't help, either.

That said, Jon somehow only gave up four runs on those three bombs. He's freaking lucky. Given that he gave up a minimal amount of runs on four homers last week against the A's, something tells me that he's used up his luck. If he doesn't get his s*** together fast, he's going to get shelled in his next outing.

Maybe we can go after Jeriome Robertson, I don't kow what the f*** he's doing these days but damn did that guy have an amazing career including one KICKASS season for the 'stros in '03. He went 15-9 and since we all know that a pitchers W/L record is the most important thing when evaluating a pitcher, he must be seriously good.

W L G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP

15 9 32 31 0 0 160.7 180 98 91 23 64 99 6 1 711 8 2 5.10 4.41 87 1.519

AWESOMENESS!!!!

Maybe we can go after Jeriome Robertson, I don't kow what the f*** he's doing these days but damn did that guy have an amazing career including one KICKASS season for the 'stros in '03. He went 15-9 and since we all know that a pitchers W/L record is the most important thing when evaluating a pitcher, he must be seriously good.

<pre>

W L G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP

15 9 32 31 0 0 160.7 180 98 91 23 64 99 6 1 711 8 2 5.10 4.41 87 1.519

</pre>

AWESOMENESS!!!!

I would love to swing a trade for 2004 Shawn Estes (15-8 record, 5.84 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, .291 BAA)

15 WINS!!!

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Nothing wrong with being a fifth starter on our team behind Mark B, Jose, Fred and Vaz.

Nope, more like a career 100ERA+, 4.60 ERA guy who is a 4th or 5th starter on most teams.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Okay, what the hell is ERA+?

Didn't you ask this in another thread? (might not have been you, could just be my memory, doesn't matter anyway :P)

Definition via The Hardball Times:

ERA+

ERA measured against the league average, and adjusted for ballpark factors. An ERA+ over 100 is better than average, less than 100 is below average.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Good work to lots of folks, including Garland today. Jon...you had your good and bad today...pay attention to the good, and keep doing it.

As I said in an earlier post-Jon Garland is giving up too many homers. Three today. He had a 6-1 lead at one point. I don't know what the problem is, but he won and that's what counts. So good to see McCarthy and Jenks throw 3 scoreless.