Dog question

Soxy

I've got a dog question for you all.

I grew up with all female dogs, but now I'm considering getting one of my own. My question is: how does the gender of the dog affect personality? Is there really any difference?

Just wondering.

Thanks guys!

Girls, IMO, are easier to train. Boys (my step daughter has 2) are a more agressive and territorial, and generally don't seem to be as friendly. Girls also didn't have an attitude change after being fixed (their boys did). Though I have to say I also believe it all depends on the dog and how you as an owner raise them.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Girls, IMO, are easier to train. Boys (my step daughter has 2) are a more agressive and territorial, and generally don't seem to be as friendly. Girls also didn't have an attitude change after being fixed (their boys did). Though I have to say I also believe it all depends on the dog and how you as an owner raise them.

So when relating dogs to humans, it is the opposite behavior for the respective sexes? :ph34r:

The two dogs I've had were female schnauzers.

The first I didn't know very well, since my parents got it before I was born. And we had to let her go, when I was about 5. We moved at that time, and she didn't take the move well at all.

We got another schanuzer when I was 12, and she's been the center of attention of the whole house the past 8 years. She's great.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 30, 2006 -> 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct on the most part Steff. However, in raising my boxers, I have found that the females are much more agressive and territorial than the males. It may be a breed thing and this kind of stuff may differ from breed to breed.

The biggest part for me is that male dogs lift their legs to urinate, so they can basically pee on anything they want. So while you are in the potty training period the male dog can pee on the couch, the walls, children's toys, and such, while the female will just pee on the ground or floor. That makes it much easier.

I believe it has a lot to do with how you raise them and the tendancies of the breed you get. Do your research in the breed of dog you will be getting. Do a lot of it. Just don't get one because it is so cute and fluffy. You will be much happier if you do this and so will your dog. I would highly recommend the boxer breed to anyone. They are fabulous dogs and a great family pet.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 30, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
I have a male Rotty. It seems like he is a little more agressive and territorial than the female versions of his breed. Also size is a consideration as well.

I've got a male Weimaraner. He is very territorial, even though he is neutered. He is aggressive towards kids too. He makes me nervous sometimes. We take precautions to keep him away if a little one is over.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 30, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
I've got a male Weimaraner. He is very territorial, even though he is neutered. He is aggressive towards kids too. He makes me nervous sometimes. We take precautions to keep him away if a little one is over.

Oh yeah, we make sure that nobody comes in without first corraling the dog. Especially when we are on the lake, if anyone walks into our yard he immediately advances towards the intruder. It makes me nervous sometimes since he could do some damage if he wanted to, but at the same time, he listens when told what not to do.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 30, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Oh yeah, we make sure that nobody comes in without first corraling the dog. Especially when we are on the lake, if anyone walks into our yard he immediately advances towards the intruder. It makes me nervous sometimes since he could do some damage if he wanted to, but at the same time, he listens when told what not to do.

We've had female German Shephards that are the same way.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 30, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
You are correct on the most part Steff. However, in raising my boxers, I have found that the females are much more agressive and territorial than the males. It may be a breed thing and this kind of stuff may differ from breed to breed.

The biggest part for me is that male dogs lift their legs to urinate, so they can basically pee on anything they want. So while you are in the potty training period the male dog can pee on the couch, the walls, children's toys, and such, while the female will just pee on the ground or floor. That makes it much easier.

I believe it has a lot to do with how you raise them and the tendancies of the breed you get. Do your research in the breed of dog you will be getting. Do a lot of it. Just don't get one because it is so cute and fluffy. You will be much happier if you do this and so will your dog. I would highly recommend the boxer breed to anyone. They are fabulous dogs and a great family pet.

I wanted a boxer beyond belief when we were considering a second dog. But with Ginger (a mix lab, ret, ridgeback) already 70lbs there was no way we'd have room. I did a ton of research on them also and the girls did seem a bit more "protective". I agree with the peeing thing also. Our dogs are house trained (like a cat :rolly ) and a boy standing would not work at all.

Soxy... what breeds are you considering?

After all the research I did... we ended up with Abby the rat terrier. 15lbs. And she kicks the s*** out of Ginger. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ May 30, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Soxy... what breeds are you considering?

A mutt. :D One of my friend's parents own a pet store and they take in stray litters give em their shots and sell them for $5. The one I'm (hopefully) getting is a girl after all (phew). My friend's mom apparently can't quite tell what kind of dog it is, she thinks a lab with something else. So, I would say I am looking into the ultimate designer one-of-a-kind dog. :)

QUOTE(Soxy @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
A mutt. :D One of my friend's parents own a pet store and they take in stray litters give em their shots and sell them for $5. The one I'm (hopefully) getting is a girl after all (phew). My friend's mom apparently can't quite tell what kind of dog it is, she thinks a lab with something else. So, I would say I am looking into the ultimate designer one-of-a-kind dog. :)

Ginger is a mutt (saved her from the animal welfare) and she's just turned out to be the best dog I've ever owned. :cheers

QUOTE(Soxy @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
Ginger is a mutt (saved her from the animal welfare) and she's just turned out to be the best dog I've ever owned. :cheers

Mutts are the best. :)

Female dogs don't stop to try to piss on every tree on every block, as my male dog does.

I take my Lab duck hunting (he's a male) and he has to stop and pee on every tree, truck tire and anything else before he'll even get in the boat. If your mutt is a lab mix, you should have a dog that is very people friendly. Every Lab I've owned or been around loves people.