Zambrano to South Side?

UC76

How much would A.J. love being told he's gonna catch Zambrano?

I think all the reasons the other posters have stated are valid -- the Cubs and Sox generally don't trade with each other and certainly not on this scale; the Sox would have to give up Thome or Dye to the Cubs to get Zambrano, which would be sheer stupidity; and Zambrano probably belongs in the NL where he does bat in games.

But just the mental picture of A.J. being told that Zambrano is now one of his pitchers is enough to make me crack up. Thanks for a good laugh!

Edited by henry wiggins

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
Passion/Intensity or Insanity?

The guy is a bonafide nutcase.

He'll be out of the league by the age of 26 after striking out on a pitch off the outside corner he'll go bizerk breaking his bat in half over his head then stabbing the umpire to death with the broken end of the bat.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPEN ON THE SOUTH SIDE!?!? WELL, DO YOU !?!?

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
Are you forgetting that pitchers in the AL don't hit?? :bang :bang :bang

Why do you even think a Cubs-Sox trade is going to happen?? :headshake :headshake :headshake

And I don't want that s***. He's been taking shots at us since he signed w/ the Cubs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Zambrano would insist on hitting in the AL, he believes himself to be a great hitter and is in fact a switch hitter. This will leave the AL team with an option of who to use the DH on.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Well do you think a manager would take that risk of him getting injured?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
It doesn't really matter, it will be part of his next contract. The clause will give him the option to hit in any game played with the DH. If you try to stop him he will eat your face.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
:o is that all true?

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Firing Boras, yes. IDK if there is a stipulation allowing AL pitchers to hit

It never ceases to amaze me how much Kalapse can sucker people into ridiculous(hilarious) conversations. I mean, he even said that Zambrano would eat your face and Cuck the Fubs took it in stride and mentioned that there may or may not be a rule about pitchers batting in the AL. LMAO

Am I the only one who think Zambrano would be something like the second best pitcher in our rotation, and would love to have him here, well except for the fact we would have to rape and pillage our team to get him, but if money were no object, I'd love him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Am I the only one who think Zambrano would be something like the second best pitcher in our rotation, and would love to have him here, well except for the fact we would have to rape and pillage our team to get him, but if money were no object, I'd love him.

Oh yeah I've got no doubt, he'd be right up there in terms of our SP's.

But like you said in terms of what it would cost to get him, and the general headache's you'd have from him just being around, it's not worth it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
Just when you think you've read it all.

Zambrano is not a head case, that's just making excuses for him. He's a childish, sore losing, unprofessional piece of garbage who deserves to spend the rest of his career right where he is, on a lousy ball club.

^^.

Though I do think he definitely has ADHD, and would not be surprised to hear of a Bi-Polar script being called in.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
Just when you think you've read it all.

Zambrano is not a head case, that's just making excuses for him. He's a childish, sore losing, unprofessional piece of garbage who deserves to spend the rest of his career right where he is, on a lousy ball club.

I would agree. I was trying to be a little forgiving in my post. Not sure why, since I'd agree he is a jerk.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Zambrano would be the best pitcher on the White Sox, IMO. I would take him in a heartbeat. The Cubs are dumb, but not dumb enough to ever let him go. He's probably nuts and a guy you hate as an opponent. Sort of like AJ.

Nothing like AJ. Not even close.

AJ doesn't threaten people, break things, throw things, blame teammates for problems, get in verbal sparring with teammates (AJ hasn't with Sox anyway), tell people he is going to bean them, etc., etc.

They are just not even in the same world.

Zambrano would be the best pitcher on the White Sox, IMO. I would take him in a heartbeat. The Cubs are dumb, but not dumb enough to ever let him go. He's probably nuts and a guy you hate as an opponent. Sort of like AJ.

Very few similarities, other than the obvious (i.e. they both breathe oxygen). An insult to AJ.

Cra-Z would be our #3 starter....maybe.

Give me Mark, Jose, Freddie and Garland (when he's on) over him any day.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Very few similarities, other than the obvious (i.e. they both breathe oxygen). An insult to AJ.

It would be interesting to see the thread when the Sox first showed a little interest in AJ. IIRC, many on the board weren't very kind in their assessment of him. While their actions may be and are different, the similarity between AJ and CZ is fans of the team he is playing for have a totally different view of his "antics", real or perceived, than do others.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
It would be interesting to see the thread when the Sox first showed a little interest in AJ. IIRC, many on the board weren't very kind in their assessment of him. While their actions may be and are different, the similarity between AJ and CZ is fans of the team he is playing for have a totally different view of his "antics", real or perceived, than do others.

I remember it well. Love to hate was the general theme, IIRC.

The main difference between them is that Z has no respect for anyone but himself. That's a pretty big difference when your job is playing a team sport.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 06:31 AM)
It never ceases to amaze me how much Kalapse can sucker people into ridiculous(hilarious) conversations. I mean, he even said that Zambrano would eat your face and Cuck the Fubs took it in stride and mentioned that there may or may not be a rule about pitchers batting in the AL. LMAO

It's nuts I tell ya.

Well, Zambrano is a free agent after the '07 season so he could be hitting the market fairly soon and if I were him I'd definately explore my options.

You really want to know how insane it would be to have Zambrano available through free agency? Imagine the contract Mussina got from the Yankees, now add on a few bucks and maybe another year. That's how much he'll command on the free agent market.

Mussina pulled in a 6 year deal worth $88.5M + a $12M signing bonus. That's roughly $14.5M per.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)

I agree completely but, yay for being the minority :P

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
I don't recall Zambrano having problems with teammates. It's usually aimed at himself or the umps. Plus, he's young. He can mature. Everyone is crazy at 21 or 22. He's just a little moreso.

He's 25.

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
I don't recall Zambrano having problems with teammates. It's usually aimed at himself or the umps. Plus, he's young. He can mature. Everyone is crazy at 21 or 22. He's just a little moreso.

he has shown up a few teamates on the field this year, I think Matt Murton and maybe Hairston, I cannot remember for sure. Something about them making an error on the field, and he got all pissed about it and started pointing fingers and stuff. And he is a problem for teammates when he pulls some of these antics, how are you supposed to go to play for a pitcher who is telling the other team that he is going to bean them in the head? And it isnt the first time he has done that either.

I definitely agree he may be Bi-Polar or have ADHD, he certainly displays the signs when he is on the field.

I think the Sox would make sure he would agree to sorting himself out while he is a member of the club, but I dont think he is ever going to be on the Sox so it is really moot.