Ozzie has some words for Mariotti

Kyyle23

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
I'd love to see the reaction on this board if someone called Ozzie a "wetback."

Bad example.

How about let's see everyones reactions if you called Ozzie a "dago" or a "wop"? I'm guessing nobody would give a s*** and if any Italian said anythign about it they would be told STFU.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
I'd love to see the reaction on this board if someone called Ozzie a "wetback."

Whoever would be stupid enough to call Oz a wetback would get laughed at. Any idiot know that that term is used to refer to Mexicans and Ozzie is Venezuelan.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
Bad example.

How about let's see everyones reactions if you called Ozzie a "dago" or a "wop"? I'm guessing nobody would give a s*** and if any Italian said anythign about it they would be told STFU.

And I'm guessing your guess is 100% wrong.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
Whoever would be stupid enough to call Oz a wetback would get laughed at. Any idiot know that that term is used to refer to Mexicans and Ozzie is Venezuelan.

LOL. My reaction would be: wow, Oz is one hell of a swimmer.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)
Ok, I am almost sure that Jay completely ripped the choice of Ozzie Guillen as coach for the White Sox. The guy is such a bald faced liar in print, it is silly that he can just write whatever he wants.

Checking the Sun-Times archive, I find the following Mariotti article from October 22, 2003: "Wave him home: Guillen is right choice for Sox". So I think you're probably wrong on that.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
He's just guessing you're completely wrong. That's different than being sure you are completely wrong.

That. Obviously we can't know for sure (unless you'd like to give it a shot? :D ), but I'm pretty sure there'd be a s***storm unleashed. No way words like those go unnoticed, imo.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Checking the Sun-Times archive, I find the following Mariotti article from October 22, 2003: "Wave him home: Guillen is right choice for Sox". So I think you're probably wrong on that.

I would like to read the article before I decided that. Just because Mariotti used a happy go-lucky headline doesnt mean his story is happy go-lucky. I think Mariotti ripped it as a cheap solution, he was talking up Cito Gaston bigtime.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
I would like to read the article before I decided that. Just because Mariotti used a happy go-lucky headline doesnt mean his story is happy go-lucky. I think Mariotti ripped it as a cheap solution, he was talking up Cito Gaston bigtime.

I'm not gonna pay the $3 per article the Sun Times wants to actually read these things, but here are the summaries they provide from a search:

For Frank, Ozzie in charge won't be laughing matter

Click here for complete article ($2.95)

Author: Jay Mariotti

Date: November 4, 2003

Publication: Chicago Sun-Times

Page: 102

Word Count: 1124

Excerpt:

As Ozzies go, the new manager of the White Sox isn't so psycho that he'll bite the head off a live bat, a la Ozzy Osbourne. But at an animated, rapid-fire, giggle-giddy news conference Monday at Whatever They're Calling Comiskey Park, Ozzie Guillen made it known he'll get in the face of any player who doesn't respect the game, the uniform and the lost concept of team baseball on the South Side. ..That includes you, Frank...

Oz could be just the wizard Sox need

Date: November 3, 2003

Page: 107

Word Count: 1160

Excerpt:

So he's a cartoon character of sorts, always yapping and goofing. So he never has managed a baseball team in his life, unless you count those father-son games when he frolicked with his cap backward. So the guy who's apparently replacing Jerry Manuel might need a manual from time to time. ..Ozzie Guillen is the smart, cool choice anyway. He's the right man for the right job at the right time, emotion in motion, a motivator and a salesman in the same...

Gaston's desire questionable

Date: October 27, 2003

Page: 110

Word Count: 1069

Excerpt:

NEW YORK -- Having watched a church-going, stogie-smoking, bongo-playing septuagenarian win a World Series after interviewing for the job in a polka-dot tie, I'll never again dismiss anyone as too old." Jack McKeon certainly isn't too old, just as Dick Vermeil, Bill Parcells and Hubie Brown aren't too old. ..Age needn't be a deterrent in the coaching and managing racket. What matters is the level of energy and commitment, the...

Wave him home: Guillen is right choice for Sox

Date: October 22, 2003

Page: 150

Word Count: 1079

Excerpt:

MIAMI -- He fidgets, paces, scratches, spits, shouts, claps his hands and, when the mood strikes, turns and mugs for the fans. What, you expected Ozzie Guillen to start standing still, just because he's going on 40 and coaching third base in a World Series? Some think the box is where he belongs, forevermore, dismissing him as too hot a potato to manage in the big leagues and too zany a character for any serious job. ..Forgive them for not appreciating the energy of this man,...

Convinced?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
I'm not gonna pay the $3 per article the Sun Times wants to actually read these things, but here are the summaries they provide from a search:

Convinced?

No, I want detailed notes, in depth interviews, and at least two references proving your point. :P

Rick Morrisey is all over this 100%

The right way: You write it, you show up

Published June 23, 2006

Sometimes I get the feeling that what I do for a living is a complete mystery to people.

Mostly I get this feeling when readers tell me to stick to the facts and stop introducing opinion into my columns.

This is like telling Mike Ditka to stop with the red meat already.

So it was an uphill battle even before Ozzie Guillen and Jay Mariotti started debating the professional obligations of a columnist.

The other day, the White Sox manager called the Sun-Times sports columnist a derogatory term for a homosexual, which is both inexcusable and indefensible, especially given Guillen's history.

In front of reporters last year, Guillen called out to a friend of his, "Hey, everybody, this guy's a homosexual! He's a child molester!" I took him to task in a column but cut him some slack because he comes from a different country, Venezuela, and culture. But once is enough.

What has spun out of the sludge-slinging between a manager and a member of the media is a discussion of how much accountability a columnist should have for what he or she writes. Actually, there really isn't much of a discussion in the journalistic community. Most writers agree the honorable thing is to face the people you criticize.

There is, however, much confusion among the public about what we do. So this amounts to an opportunity.

Guillen considers Mariotti a coward for not backing up his often-angry columns with even an occasional appearance in the Sox's clubhouse. Mariotti doesn't believe it's his duty as a columnist to meet and greet the people he has ripped.

Now I'm as likely to win a Pulitzer Prize as Guillen is of becoming the honorary chairman of the Gay Games in Chicago, but I do know one thing:

If you're a sports columnist, you show up in the clubhouse to face the music. It's a matter of fairness.

Let's say I criticize Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski for something he did in a game. And let's say I do it in the Sunday Tribune, which has a circulation of about 960,000.

Isn't it reasonable for Pierzynski to have an opportunity to lash out at me in front of media and teammates in the clubhouse if I've treated him similarly in print? It seems pretty straightforward to me. It's what I was taught to do. It's what nearly all of the columnists in the country do. The honorable thing.

Look, it's not always fun walking into a locker room. Sometimes it's uncomfortable. But it comes with the territory of being a columnist.

Showing up also makes for a better columnist. Anybody can have an opinion. That's the beauty of being a walking, talking human being. But asking questions of players, managers and coaches helps give a columnist an informed opinion. It doesn't mean you're being co-opted by the people you're dealing with, not if you have an ounce of integrity. It means you're being thorough and professional. And you just might learn a thing or two.

One of the best and worst things that has happened to our society is the blog—best because everyone can have his say, not just us so-called experts; worst because everyone can say anything with almost no accountability.

I can't tell you how many ugly, hate-filled e-mails I've received from people who disagreed with something I wrote.

And I would bet that most of the e-mailers wouldn't be quite so nasty if they were talking with me face to face.

But something is happening in our society, and the blog is a reflection of it. So is TV. So is radio. So, for that matter, is Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Civility is going bye-bye. Public discussion is a bloody fistfight. And it's OK to be vapid as long as you're loud. Take a bow for that, Mr. Cuban.

I'll give Mariotti this: Whether he realizes it or not, he might have been the nation's first blogger, without actually writing one.

He has led the way by not leading the way to the locker room or the clubhouse. He writes what he wants without ever talking to a soul.

The only difference is he travels often to events, unlike bloggers, many of whom sit in their underwear all day and update, update, update.

But it's not the way most columnists do their jobs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Guillen spent part of Thursday night ripping Mariotti again.

I should know.

I was in the Sox's dugout, before the game. It was another day at the office for a lot of us.

rmorrissey@tribune.com