Ozzie has some words for Mariotti

Kyyle23

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg212.html

Ozzie Guillen was wearing a White Sox uniform. He was talking to a bunch of reporters, maybe 20 of them taking notes or holding tape recorders. He was sitting in the White Sox' dugout.

And these are the words that came from the face of the White Sox before Tuesday's game, referring to a Chicago writer he was angry with: "What a piece of [deleted] he is, [deleted] ***.''

He was angry with Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti, who was on his way to the NBA Finals. Guillen and the Sox have a feud with Mariotti. And in full disclosure, I obviously work at the same paper. But whatever you think of his columns or of him, that doesn't matter here.

Cowley has Mariotti's back, lol. Well, the Sox havent been shy about telling the media that they read the papers....

Guillen was still talking about it Tuesday, getting defensive about a column written by Ron Cook in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Cook wrote that Guillen, "has become the biggest creep in baseball -- at least on the days Barry Bonds takes off.''

But Guillen said the whole thing has been misinterpreted. Maybe he was screaming at the whole team and not just Tracey.

"This kid was not sent down because that happened,'' Guillen said. "He went down because we made a trade [for Boston Red Sox reliever David Riske].''

Mariotti wrote about the incident, too, saying that Guillen shouldn't be asking a kid pitcher to be "a goon-on-demand.'' He also said he wondered if Guillen has lost his mind.

Look, Sox fans know that this isn't the first time Mariotti has angered the team. And I'm tempted to write their relationship, but I don't want to cloud the issue. I do know that he was threatened years ago by a player in the Sox' clubhouse. And I'm not sure what the Sox did about it, if anything.

None of that matters here. The job of a sports columnist is to have an opinion. Opinions don't always set well with people. The rest of Guillen's rant was wild, and maybe acceptable.

Until he said "[deleted] ***.'' Not in public. Not in private. We don't say that.

The guy that threatened Mariotti was probably talked about by Mariotti, no doubt.

Edited by kyyle23

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF? I missed this, and in this morning's Southtown, Phil Arvia is all over Ozzie -- from what I can gather, for Ozzie's political incorrectness in his tirade at the gasbag Jay:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/co...ia/x21-ard1.htm

Whatever.

Once again, the person doing the beaning -- in this case, Moronotti of Ozzie, repeatedly -- gets a pass, and the Soz when they retaliate get whacked -- in this case, by the news media. What a crock. Go, Ozzie! :cheers :gosox2:

ETA-- and no, that doesn't mean that I or anyone else thinks that Ozzie meant to offend a particular group with his epithet. Arvia and the rest need to get over the PC crap and realize that these are jocks, baseball players, who live in a world that is 90% testosterone and adrenaline and 0% political correctness. And if Ozzie says stuff that comes across as ignornant or uninformed, DON'T QUOTE IT! Even on an internet board, people are capable of using the IGNORE feature!

Edited by henry wiggins

Here's the thing; what Ozzie said would be outrageous if it were a generally honest and decent sports reporter. But Mariotti has done this to himself... he's sleezy and simply writes articles to stir the pot and create controversy with no thought whatsoever to those he rips on a daily basis.

Ozzie's right... F*** Marriotti

That said, I wish he had not used the term he used. Its really not appropriate and it detracts from the real message which is that marriotti is a complete tool.

Edited by AbeFroman

HUGE props to a certain member who told me about this story nearly 12 hours ago.

This story is going to absolutely torch this message board. I expect to wake up later this afternoon to a thread exceeding 100 posts; perhaps with a side thread in the Roadhouse.

Tell me about how Guillen represents the organization. How suggesting Mariotti is a f.a.g (why is this word the only one that's filtered?) is inappropriate. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I don't give a f*** what he says. Perhaps growing up around cable TV has desensitized me. Or maybe it's because I'm a hetereosexual Caucasian male whose never been discriminated against. When I read people act like they're actually offended by what Guillen says, more often than not, I believe it's an act. A source of information which consistently provides fresh material. "OMG, he called someone TEH GHEY! I'm going to clinch my fists while writing this column." These columnist are attempting to act dignified and noble in critiquing his words, when in reality, most are glad he's spoken out against Mariotti. Well, everyone aside from Cowley. His dirt slinging ways have brought him from the Southtown to the Times. He'll replace Mariotti some day.

Call Cal Ripken or Ken Griffey Jr. a *** and I'd expect legitimate outcry. For Mariotti, I won't even flinch.

Explaining it further, because I'm sure someoen will quote this and suggest I'm letting him off easy with "ozzie being ozzie" mantra No. He's just a crazy man who's insensitive and brash. I'm not dismissing it entirely. Regardless of the circumstance, he'll openly speak his mind. He's wrong, yes; but don't act offended. Self-righteous behavior has no association with Mariotti on this issue.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

There really is no excuse for anyone using a derogatory term towards another group, as an insult towards a person. I don't think Ozzie would like it too much if I referred to someone on here as a "wetback" or "s***" would he? Common sense would dictate that it wasn't necessary to use a term like that, but when it comes to outbursts Ozzie never really has demonstrated much of that... Oz is just lucky that he is one hell of a manager or he would have been run out of town long ago for this kind of stuff, instead it will be swept under the rug and defended... But hey, these count as stories for the media watch, right?

My take is the White Sox as an organization had taken the high road on Marriotti for years until Hawk decided enough is enough, and started calling Marriotti out in defense of JR. Marriotti knows damn well what he's doing, and now has the Sox playing into his hand by popping off at every negative article. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity. More people read Marriotti's column because of the White Sox reaction. Unfortunately, Marriotti isn't like a little kid who will stop his act once he realizes he isn't getting his desired attention. And while I agree with Flash for the most part, (I have heard the same words Ozzie used to describe people thousands of times in my life) the White Sox are taking a risk of making Marriotti a sympathetic figure. That would be pathetic. Although I understand the comments, and if I was in the same situation, would be hard-pressed not to say anything, I think the Sox would be better off just ignoring anything Marriotti.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
There really is no excuse for anyone using a derogatory term towards another group, as an insult towards a person. I don't think Ozzie would like it too much if I referred to someone on here as a "wetback" or "s***" would he? Common sense would dictate that it wasn't necessary to use a term like that, but when it comes to outbursts Ozzie never really has demonstrated much of that... Oz is just lucky that he is one hell of a manager or he would have been run out of town long ago for this kind of stuff, instead it will be swept under the rug and defended... But hey, these count as stories for the media watch, right?

I think the term *** and the term gay are being used more often, and not really to address homosexuals. I call things gay all the time, and it has nothing to do with homosexuals. I see these terms being more used as 'dork'. Not that it is right.

That being said, Ozzie needs to never use that term around the media. It makes him look bad.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
I think the term *** and the term gay are being used more often, and not really to address homosexuals. I call things gay all the time, and it has nothing to do with homosexuals. I see these terms being more used as 'dork'. Not that it is right.

That being said, Ozzie needs to never use that term around the media. It makes him look bad.

Here lies the difference -- none of us would be willing to mention it in public.

What Guillen needs to do is control himself in front of the media. He can be Ozzie Montana behind closed doors -- as I'm sure he is -- but you have to watch what you say on the record.

What upsets me more than what he said is the attention it draws from the ballclub. We just MURDERED St. Louis and now will have to hear this story for several more days. Having Mariotti appear a sympathetic figure in any form doesn't sit well with me either.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
Here lies the difference -- none of us would be willing to mention it in public.

What Guillen needs to do is control himself in front of the media. He can be Ozzie Montana behind closed doors -- as I'm sure he is -- but you have to watch what you say on the record.

What upsets me more than what he said is the attention it draws from the ballclub. We just MURDERED St. Louis and now will have to hear this story for several more days. Having Mariotti appear a sympathetic figure in any form doesn't sit well with me either.

What's bulls*** is that all these writers, Couch, Mariotti, etc, act all high and mighty, but who knows what their behavior is like behind closed doors. I've always said that I'd love to hear Bernstein from 670 get caught with a hooker, because he gets on his high horse so much. Listen, we're all human, and not perfect. Ozzie just needs to be more careful.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)

Just because people do something doesn't make it right. People held slaves 200 years ago, it was a common practice, that doesn't mean it was right. When you are talking about degrading a class of people, for no other reason than because of who they are, its wrong.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Just because people do something doesn't make it right. People held slaves 200 years ago, it was a common practice, that doesn't mean it was right. When you are talking about degrading a class of people, for no other reason than because of who they are, its wrong.

Yeah, compare using some insensitive words...not actions...words...to slavery. Good comparison.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
OK, take the N-word today then. It still doesn't make it right.

But then the group themselves uses the word...and then you have white kids running around using it, because rappers do.

Bottom line, I will never be offended by words. And that would be hard anyway considering I am a white male. But call me all the names you want...and I won't be offended. I don't think ozzie thinks anyone is gay when he says f@g. I think he's just using a word that gets tossed around more often than it should.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
I have a dumb question, which might not matter, but is Mariotti really gay or was this just an insult Ozzie threw out there?

I'd call him gay, but I'd be calling him a dork.

I don't think he's gay though. I don't think any sex is interested in him.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
What's bulls*** is that all these writers, Couch, Mariotti, etc, act all high and mighty, but who knows what their behavior is like behind closed doors. I've always said that I'd love to hear Bernstein from 670 get caught with a hooker, because he gets on his high horse so much. Listen, we're all human, and not perfect. Ozzie just needs to be more careful.

I wouldn't expect anything else. Journalists have a job to do; and unless they're planning on finding another career, it wouldn't be wise to condone ANY faction of Guillen's rant.

Cowley and Mariotti may be homophobes, but you can't expect either to say what they're really thinking.

White Sox clubhouse with Ozzie is probably full of profanity laced, racially charged jokes and insults towards his players. Behind doors, every player in that clubhouse probably agrees with him. I believe last year following the mini controversy of calling an old friend a "homosexual" someone (believe it was Dye) said "That's Ozzie being Ozzie." They don't care. If it doesn't affect the clubhouse or our ballclub, then neither do I.

Are we really going to continue acting shocked about what he says?

F.a.g.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Look up f.a.g. in

Wiktionary, the free dictionary.*** may refer to:

• F.a.g - a junior boy who acted as servant to a senior boy at a British independent school. “F.a.g” came to mean a tedious or labour-intensive chore, and “f.a.g.ged out” to mean exhausted by hard work.
  • A British colloquialism for cigarette
  • F.a.g.g.o.t (epithet) or f.a.g, a generally pejorative term for a gay man, or for men who are judged to be "unmanly", weak or effeminate
  • Guatemalan Air Force or Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca
  • F.A.G Kugelfischer, a German company that manufactures ball bearings
  • F.a.g.g.o.t (food), an English food that is a cross between a meatball, sausage, and haggis
  • Film Actors' Guild, a fictional evil organization of liberal actors led by Alec Baldwin in the movie Team America: World Police; a parody of the Screen Actor's Guild
  • F.a.g.g.e.d (video gaming), a play on “f.a.g” and frag with a meaning similar to pwn

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Wouldn't this be a good topic for Around the Horn?

Buy or Sell Mariotti as a "F.ag?"

-or-

Encouraged or discouraged with Guillen's comments towards Mariotti?

The entire panel would agree it was appropriate.

It would likely end up in the buster.

I've said it before, Ozzie is too easily baited and he's a minstrel show for the white media. It takes bigger balls to take the high road than it does to sling s***. Unfortunately, Ozzie was brought up to never turn the other cheek and that will never change.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
I've said it before, Ozzie is too easily baited and he's a minstrel show for the white media. It takes bigger balls to take the high road than it does to sling s***. Unfortunately, Ozzie was brought up to never turn the other cheek and that will never change.

Los, I like the way you're put together.

It's useless (IMO) debating this topic because Guillen...won't...change. Although I undersand It's envitable we're going to discuss such news on this message board. Members deserve an opportunity to post their thought. What I see happening concerning this issue is exactly like the others. It blows over fairly quickly, a few "Ozzie being Ozzie" sprinkled about, Guillen apologizes, then time passes before another incident in which people act surprised.

This is disgraceful. Ozzie has crossed a line here and he's bordering on Jon Rocker territory. I don't care what Mariotti said, he's a writer--he gets paid to have strong opinions. Ozzie gets paid to win baseball games, not address the concerns of the media.

Mariotti is an idiot, a total primadonna with an ego twice as big as his creative ability--but that doesn't give anyone a right to do what Ozzie did.

I have much respect for the power of language, and I don't care what "***" has come to mean in an everyday sense. It's why I rarely if ever call someone a "b*tch" or, use "N*gga" when fooling around with my white and male friends. Those words are hateful. Not just hurtful, they are hateful. IMO, their casual use in society leads to a disrespect and even violence against those groups they target. For everytime you or I, or Ozzie has said those words in a so-called "joking" manner, some crazy has used them in a hateful and vengeful matter.

Ethically Ozzie is wrong. From a PR standpoint, he's stupid. This is the last thing this team needs, and Ozzie needs to apoligize before this blows up in his face.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)

You guys must all be tons of fun to be around. I'm up to here with everybody being so **** sensitive and almost everyhing someone says offends someone or something.

I'm sick of the University of Illinois debate over the chief.

Sick of the Marquette Warriors who were honoring the Indian warriors (or can I say Indian) changing their name.

The Washington Bullets (named after a train) having to change their name.

And on and on !

Get a grip people - slang terms have been around a long time.

I am Polish and the terms pollock doesn't really offend me and enjoy a good joke as much as the next guy.

If you all are that thin skinned your life is sure going to be miserable.

Edited by J-MAN

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I'm pretty sure Ozzie is capable of NOT saying something when he wants to. Reading the Playboy interview of him, I got the sense that he knows full well how certain of his speech patterns offend certain people, primarily the media. Last year he got into a s***storm for calling a friend of his a couple of similar names, so he isn't naive about how his remarks get taken.

IMO this was Ozzie deliberately playing the media, getting the energy going, and IMO he is totally doing it for his ballclub. You think that one single person on the field or in the clubhouse in the Sox organization is annoyed with Ozzie for calling JM what he did? Not bloody likely!

This is Ozzie mobilizing his team and banding them together against an opponent -- the news media. I say good for Ozzie. He knows the psychology of athletes. This is gonna work. :cheers

(That same blowhard columnist said last week that Ozzie's players lost respect for him when they saw him rip Tracey in the dugout. Gee, they have a funny way of showing it -- winning every game since then?!?! ROTFLMAFAO!)