Ozzie has some words for Mariotti

Kyyle23

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
I would bet that sports writers, in the course of their daily job, hear a LOT of things from players, coaches and managers that are kind of ... icky. Epithets, names called. Not so much in hate, as in the jock-speak of the locker room, where crudity is the standard order. Worse than the trading floors where I work, even.

So, why aren't sports writers telling us EVERY SINGLE TIME a player, coach or manager uses a vulgar or derogatory term? I want to know! I want only Eagle Scouts to play pro sports, and I want EVERYONE who isn't clean in thought, word and deed OUT OF THE GAME!

Oh, and in the Series last year, the Astros manager called Joe Crede a 5-letter word that is a slang term for female genitalia -- this after Crede barked at a pitcher who hit him. Garner was impugning Crede's masculinity. Well, as a woman, I am hugely offended by that and I want Garner and the Astros to apologize to me and to all women!

(Do I have to green this post?)

The difference is Ozzie did this specifically into a microphone. You're right, you will hear a lot worse than what Ozzie said in a clubhouse or during the course of a game, or if you hear an argument with an umpire. I was sitting in the first row of the upper deck back in the mid 80s when Roger Clemens was pitching against the White Sox. Someone hit a slow roller to first and Clemens ran over to cover the bag, the guy was clearly out but the umpire called him safe. Clemens lost his mind. From the first row of the upper deck I clearly could hear him tell the umpire that his mother was a whore, with a few f-bombs added in. Don Baylor and Jim Rice both huge guys grabbed him and carried him off the field.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Actually, there are a lot of naughty words that you can type in Soxtalk, but not "***". What if I want to talk about a bundle of twigs? :P

what if we have a thread to see what we can get away with?? :ph34r:

I'm kidding mods...I wouldn't do that to you guys!! I mean persons!!

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
Slightly off topic

Most homosexuals are not offended by the word "***".

If you call them a homosexual male "***", they say, "Ya, so what?"

If you call a man a "***", he usually laughs it off.

If you call a man a "***" and he gets upset and tries to defend himself, why does he feel the need to prove himself?

This has been brough to you by the men of the square table.

You obviously don't have many gay friends. Gays usually take extreme offense at a random person calling them or any other gay person a ***. It's something completely different when a gay person calls another gay person a ***. My best friend is gay, and while he calls some other gay people ***s, I usually abstain from saying it because I know it's not PC for me to do so.

Your men of the square table really deserves no comment, but I thought we evolved PAST cro-magnon man humor, yes?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
The difference is Ozzie did this specifically into a microphone. You're right, you will hear a lot worse than what Ozzie said in a clubhouse or during the course of a game, or if you hear an argument with an umpire. I was sitting in the first row of the upper deck back in the mid 80s when Roger Clemens was pitching against the White Sox. Someone hit a slow roller to first and Clemens ran over to cover the bag, the guy was clearly out but the umpire called him safe. Clemens lost his mind. From the first row of the upper deck I clearly could hear him tell the umpire that his mother was a whore, with a few f-bombs added in. Don Baylor and Jim Rice both huge guys grabbed him and carried him off the field.

I take your point about the microphone. The Clemens thing is hilarious. :D

Last week during the Texas game when Padilla hit AJ twice, the Sox dugout was on Padilla so loudly that Farmer's crowd mike was picking it up, and Farmer had to apologize for all the F-bombs. I laffed and laffed.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
You obviously don't have many gay friends. Gays usually take extreme offense at a random person calling them or any other gay person a ***. It's something completely different when a gay person calls another gay person a ***. My best friend is gay, and while he calls some other gay people ***s, I usually abstain from saying it because I know it's not PC for me to do so.

Your men of the square table really deserves no comment, but I thought we evolved PAST cro-magnon man humor, yes?

:sleep

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I thing slurs can be actually very hurtful

And I speak from experience. A few years ago, these 19 year old kids came trick-or-treating at my house on Halloween. I refused to give them candy cause they are too old. Then, later that night, someone TPed my house and spray-painted "Bald Asshole" on my front door.

They didn't deserve candy I didn't deserve this: "Bald Asshole?" Thats a hate crime. Bald people are a group... we're a set. I didn't know it was going to be felony-or-treat. What's next trick or bang-bang?

:D

Larry David is a personal hero of mine. :cheers

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Yeah. I should have made my posting name "Holly Wiggins" but I didn't think of it. Can I change it, do you know? :huh:

I had no idea.. sorry.

Yea. One of the admins can change it.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
What upsets me more than what he said is the attention it draws from the ballclub. We just MURDERED St. Louis and now will have to hear this story for several more days. Having Mariotti appear a sympathetic figure in any form doesn't sit well with me either.

YUP. I dont understand why some in the media think that this incident is the SMOKING GUN, and will run Ozzie out of town for good. Thats not gonna happen, but the fact that the media keeps on trying ....................to make something out of nothing when its about the White Sox. YES, Ozzie probably shouldnt have said what he said, and he shouldnt have let himself get baited either.

Why wasnt the media in this much of an uproar, when former Ch.7 sports reporter Brad "the professor" Palmer asked Dusty Baker what he might have known about Barry Bonds' "cheating" (after testimony revealed that "cheating" was in fact being done daily in the SF Giants clubhouse while Baker was mgr there). Anyone remember the exchange? Baker angrily asked if Palmer ever cheated on his wife.

The chicago sheep media members who were in the cub clubhouse at the time (and I heard Bruve Levineline snickering also in the background) guffawed at the comment as if Baker were on stage at 2ndCity.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
i was watching cold pizza and they actually mentioned: "why don't they fire Ozzie?"

Hahahaha yea right, like JR would fire Ozzie just from a little statment

They actually said that? *SIGHS* I hate the freaking media .................

I would imagine at least 95% of the guys on this board have called people ***s in their life, knowing damn well the object of their name calling was straight.

I've never called people ***s in my life.

Maybe ****** ****** or ******* once in a while. Sometimes **********, ****, ***** or ********. A few times *******. And on two occasions I called someone I really couldn't stand a ****-*****.

But, never ***!

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
I thought you were a man, baby. ;)

Nope, girl, south sider (Beverly), work at the Merc, Sox fan since very young, adore Ozzie and go to games to ogle :wub: Brian Anderson and Joe Crede.

I'll change my posting name, thanks for the tip.

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Nope, girl, south sider (Beverly), work at the Merc, Sox fan since very young, adore Ozzie and go to games to ogle :wub: Brian Anderson and Joe Crede.

I'll change my posting name, thanks for the tip.

Change it to Hangar Wiggins, heh heh!