Rowand vs. Anderson

Heads22

Defense  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who plays a better centerfield?

• Aaron Rowand
    • Brian Anderson
  2. 2. Who would you rather have playing out in CF?

• Rowand
    • Anderson

Rowand misplayed a ball in CF today, the Yankee announcers commented that his defense seemed much better last year and then went onto give him some love for his sick defensive series that he had Vs dem Yanks last season.

Edited by Kalapse

Brian makes way Too many mental errors for me to be happy with his D. His mental Lapses cost the sox a lot of bases this year. I'm not saying rowand was perfect in that department. He was way superior to Brian though.

So if you can change the poll who would you rather have out there in center, with NO regard to offense , or decision making. I just might pick BA.

I loved the way Rowand played CF for the Sox, but Anderson is on pace to have an historic year defensively. His defense has been so good thus far this season that it has compensated for his bat to the point that even by the stats, Anderson is a better choice than Mackowiak in CF right now, and this is when Mack has 200+ points of OPS on Brian. Unquestionably the answer has to be Brian Anderson IMO.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
Brian makes way Too many mental errors for me to be happy with his D. His mental Lapses cost the sox a lot of bases this year. I'm not saying rowand was perfect in that department. He was way superior to Brian though.

So if you can change the poll who would you rather have out there in center, with NO regard to offense , or decision making. I just might pick BA.

Are you cereal? Brian had like 1 bad game out there this season other than that the only real problem he's had this season is with hitting the cutoff man.

I love Rowand and all but Anderson is far superior defensively.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)

Name me one game where his defense, or his mental errors cost us.

EDIT: Keeping this beautiful sig just to piss off Kalapse for a good while.. :)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Are you cereal? Brian had like 1 bad game out there this season other than that the only real problem he's had this season is with hitting the cutoff man.

I love Rowand and all but Anderson is far superior defensively.

Don't know if you are watching the same games I am. But Brian has had more than one bad game. 1 day its throwing to the wrong cutoff man, the next it is his lack of comunication when the ball is by him and another fielder.

Both get tremendous reads and jumps, Brian is better at getting to the short ball because he plays further in. Brian is faster and does have a better arm but he also misses the cut off man way too damn much. IMO it's pretty damn close but I give Brian the slight advantage though he has to learn to hit the damn cut off man.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)

EDIT: Keeping this beautiful sig just to piss off Kalapse for a good while.. :)

He missed the cut off man in the reds game on saturday which cost us a run, he did the same thing yesterday that allowed the runners to move up but vaz got out of it.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)

You can use the same argument for Jose Valentin in 2000. We won 95 games DESPITE his 36 errors. We are winning DESPITE his lapses. It has not cost us yet. But it very well could. Overall, his D, is towards the top of the league. I won't dispute that. His lapses have A LOT to do with him being a rookie. That was not the question of the poll though. I gave my answer why, you just twisted everything around.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Both get tremendous reads and jumps, Brian is better at getting to the short ball because he plays further in. Brian is faster and does have a better arm but he also misses the cut off man way too damn much. IMO it's pretty damn close but I give Brian the slight advantage though he has to learn to hit the damn cut off man.

He missed the cut off man in the reds game on saturday which cost us a run, he did the same thing yesterday that allowed the runners to move up but vaz got out of it.

True, but that easily correctable, IMO. Unless your name is Sammy Sosa.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
Don't know if you are watching the same games I am. But Brian has had more than one bad game. 1 day its throwing to the wrong cutoff man, the next it is his lack of comunication when the ball is by him and another fielder.

Brian is the damn CF, if he calls for the ball it's Dye's/Pods'/Ozuna's job to get the f*** out of the way. Everytime there has been a situation where Brian has cut in front of someone for a ball or knocked into them on the catch he has yelled for the ball but the RF/LF didn't retreat. The SS/CF always has the right to the ball.

I will give you the cutoff man problem but I do not think it's as prevelant has you make it seem.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Brian is the damn CF, if he calls for the ball it's the Dye's/Pods'/Ozuna's job to get the f*** out of the way. Everytime there has been a situation where Brian has cut in front of someone for a ball or knocked into them on the catch he has yelled for the ball but the RF/LF didn't retreat. The SS/CF always has the right to the ball.

I will give you the cutoff man problem but I do not think it's as prevelant has you make it seem.

The point is, he has not been calling it all the time. That is where the communication problem lies.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
The point is, he has not been calling it all the time. That is where the communication problem lies.

I disagree but whatever. To be totally honest I was never real high on his as a prospect, as a matter of fact I really didn't see him as much until he actually got here and I got a chance to see him play everyday, he's totally grown on me. I am about as impartial as it comes concerning Sox players and I gotta say the only problem I've had with his defense is his missing cutoff man, other than that he's been pretty remarkable out there.

I'll take Anderson. The ONLY beef I have with BA is that, like a few others have stated, he makes some bad decisions with respect to where to throw the ball into. He has tried on at least 3 different occasions that I've seen, to try and throw someone out at home that he wont get, with less tha 2 outs and a man on 1st...big no no...other than that, BA is above and beyond the CFer.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
Anderson, and it's not even close. Rowand gets bad reads and his average at best speed. Anderson is a burner and gets great reads just about every time. Anderson by a mile, and i'm baffled the voting is this close since it's a defense only vote.

Defense can be broken down in categories

Speed BA

Arm BA

Reads and routes BA

Decision Making (cutoff man ect) Rowand

Communication Rowand

Balls Tie

Its pretty close, but I will have to go with BA.

Hopefully Brian's last 7 games are a preview of things to come as well:

Last 7 games:

.296 BA

.387 OBP

.600 SLG

.987 OPS

3 Doubles

1 HR w/ 6 RBI

3 BBs and 4 Ks

Projected for a full season:

63 Doubles, 21 HRs, 126 RBI in 150 games played

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
This is absolute bull.

How can you make that claim? Watch the replay of even the face breaker catch he made earlier this year against the Mets, he had a TERRIBLE read on that ball. Same goes for the catches he made in NY that got him on the map last year. Rowand was a very good fielder because he caught it if he got to it, but his terrible reads and not great speed made catches Anderson makes look easy very hard for Crash.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)

I probably should had elaborated more in the sense of "games" he's cost us. BTW, was I talking to you... you ***?