Sean Tracey gets it now--

henry wiggins

A staff reporter interviewed Sean Tracey, following the great game he pitched in Charlotte Tuesday night, and asked him about the "incident" in Texas when Ozzie had a meltdown in the dugout and Tracey didn't hit Blalock.

Tracey said: "I let my teammates down and I obviously messed up and it'll never happen again." Later in the interview, asked about possibly returning to the Sox and told that Ozzie said he will be called back up at some point, Tracey said, "Of course it makes me feel good, but I let my teammates down up there and it's never going to happen again. That's the bottom line. I flat out made a mistake and it will never happen again."

Asked if he might prefer to play for another team, the kid said, "Absolutely not. I wasn't mad because I knew I didn't get my job done. You have to confront adversity. You can't run away from it."

Wow, I'm impressed! It sounds like Sean Tracey gets it, and I bet that he will be back with the Sox at some point, even this season.

Well done, Tracey! :cheers

The article is here: http://tinyurl.com/kx7j3

Tracey said: "I let my teammates down and I obviously messed up and it'll never happen again."

Lesson learned. I still thought Ozzie could have sent someone else out there to hit Blaylock instead of the Rookie. Maybe Jenks :P 100 mph fastball in the hip, now that would have really sent a message :lol:

Tracey and Ozzie will be just fine. I'm sure Ozzie will talk to the kid and they'll have a good laugh about the incident. The media made it sound like Tracey was so crushed he's going to hang himself. Give me a break.

This is a situation where people do not understand Ozzie's approach except for his players and Sox fans. Everyone one at ESPN blew this way out of proportion, like we have all said on this board. Although he didnt have to do it in the dugout, Ozzie tells his players how it is to their face..man to man.

Coddling players and telling them everything is ok, like one Dusty Baker, does not work because the player becomes comfortable with the fact that mistakes are ok and do not need to learn from them. Ozzie tells you when you f'up and makes you learn from them.

Edited by BFirebird

This story is good and all, but what were you expect Tracey to say? If he complains about the situation or says he has no regrets over what happened, do you think he'd ever see the field with the Ozzie Guillen led White Sox? I may be wrong, but I think it's nearly impossible that Tracey isn't even a little bitter over the position he was put in, and now he's saying the right things to prolong his future with this organization. Nevertheless, I'm glad he's moved on and not let the occurence affect him.

QUOTE(JohnStamos @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
This story is good and all, but what were you expect Tracey to say? If he complains about the situation or says he has no regrets over what happened, do you think he'd ever see the field with the Ozzie Guillen led White Sox? I may be wrong, but I think it's nearly impossible that Tracey isn't even a little bitter over the position he was put in, and now he's saying the right things to prolong his future with this organization. Nevertheless, I'm glad he's moved on and not let the occurence affect him.

He could have phrased a lot of things differently, been way more equivocal. Could have said "well, it was a difficult situation but I think now it's been resolved blah blah blah blah" -- but he said, flat out, several times, "I let my teammates down and it will *never* happen again." No, he wouldn't complain about it, but he did have other options than to be that definite. Again, I give him props for that.

And when asked about going to another club, he could have come back with the mealy-mouth "I just want to play the best baseball I can and if the White Sox organization feels that I would do better elsewhere then I respect that blah blah blah" -- but he didn't.

He may be bitter. That's for him to know, and for him to deal with. Nobody's a happy camper 24/7, even on a championship ballclub. It's how they handle the bitterness that separates the winners from the losers, the men from the boys, the Brian Andersons from the Jay Mariottis, if you will. :P

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Lesson learned. I still thought Ozzie could have sent someone else out there to hit Blaylock instead of the Rookie. Maybe Jenks :P 100 mph fastball in the hip, now that would have really sent a message :lol:

Ummm, I think Thornton would have been a better choice. He's a veteran lefty (to face Blalock), throws 98 mph, has a history of wildness and isn't the closer. That would be much easier to defend, "Hey, I brought in the situational lefty to face a lefty and he is known to be wild...oops!" Sure, Jenks wasn't going to be needed that game since we were down big but you don't want to risk suspension of your closer for future games. Plus, Jenks is still pretty much a rookie as he is only closing in on his first full year so you don't want anything getting in his head (if he messes up, if a brawl ensues, etc.).