Does Contreras Deserve to start the All Star Game

GoRowand33

If I'm intent on winning the game I'm sure as hell not starting Contreras. Santana would be my choice.

He only did it to himself. Today's game against Pittsburgh sealed it for me. When I notice Carpenter, Liriano, Santana mowing through the Pirates than Contreras getting slapped around, that's enough right there. His 5+ ERA in June only reinforces the decision.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 weak starts in a row (even though now losses yet)

I think he's great, but since the Cincinnati game he hasn't been the dominating pitcher that deserves to start an all star game

Yes he does. Plus it is a great way to reward your stud pitcher for what he has done for you last year and so far this year.

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think so. I think Ozzie has to go with Santana, maybe Halladay.

Why does he have to? They are not head and shoulders above what Contreras has done. Ozzie Guillen is the manager of the World Champion Chicago White Sox. Who cares about the other teams. I remember plenty of times when one of the White Sox players got screwed by not making the team because the manager chose one of his own. Ozzie should do the same.

Ozzie almost has to start Jose. Jose has won like 20 starts in a row and is the most consistent pitcher in the majors. Plus wiht the confidence that ozzie is showing by starting jose could get him pumped up enough to have the second half like he did last year

stick with your man ozzie

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Ozzie almost has to start Jose. Jose has won like 20 starts in a row and is the most consistent pitcher in the majors. Plus wiht the confidence that ozzie is showing by starting jose could get him pumped up enough to have the second half like he did last year

Oooook. Like 20 eh?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Why does he have to? They are not head and shoulders above what Contreras has done. Ozzie Guillen is the manager of the World Champion Chicago White Sox. Who cares about the other teams. I remember plenty of times when one of the White Sox players got screwed by not making the team because the manager chose one of his own. Ozzie should do the same.

Right now, yes they are easily pitching better than Contreras is. This game counts, I fully anticipate us going back to the playoffs again this year and I would like homefield advantage for the AL in the world series. At this point in time Santana/Halladay give the AL a better chance to make that happen. Ozzie will take care of his players and take as many as possible. People can talk all they want about Contreras' streak but the fact is that streak should have ended in Cincinnatti and he hasn't been as good this year as Santana or Halladay.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Since when has being an All-Star been about who's the most deserving??????

Make him your starter, Ozzie.

No, it's no longer about just having a White Sox pitcher start for pride. This game means something for us. Contreras has been bad his last few starts, and he'll have to face the NL's best for at least 2 innings. I'd rather go with the sure bet in Santana or Halladay.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
No, it's no longer about just having a White Sox pitcher start for pride. This game means something for us. Contreras has been bad his last few starts, and he'll have to face the NL's best for at least 2 innings. I'd rather go with the sure bet in Santana or Halladay.

Where does it say he has to pich 2 innings?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Where does it say he has to pich 2 innings?

The starter usually does pitch that long. I have no problem with Contreras pitching in the game, just not starting it. We want the best guy out there for the most innings and to set the tone. Count is not that guy right now.

I care a whole lot less about whether Contreras starts the game than about Contreras getting his groove back. It seems like as soon as he started messing with arm angles this year, he lost his consistency. I bet most of his problem has to do with his mechanics, though I wouldn't have a clue what he needs to do to straighten them out.

If Contreras isn't dominating, our whole staff looks mediocre. But with him leading the way, I'll take our guys over any other starting group in MLB.

Get it together, Jose!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I care a whole lot less about whether Contreras starts the game than about Contreras getting his groove back. It seems like as soon as he started messing with arm angles this year, he lost his consistency. I bet most of his problem has to do with his mechanics, though I wouldn't have a clue what he needs to do to straighten them out.

If Contreras isn't dominating, our whole staff looks mediocre. But with him leading the way, I'll take our guys over any other starting group in MLB.

Get it together, Jose!

It's a big difference for a team if they have somebody to anchor the staff. Nothing against Buehrle, but he's not the type of pitcher to strike fear into opponents.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)

That is absolutely hilarious.

No, Count does not deserve to start the ASG. Give it to Santana, who is hands down the better pitcher (and always has been).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
I think Freddy Garcia and his 10 wins this season should start the All-Star game.

While the AL bats would certainly give him the run support he needs, Freddy has had some ugly games this first half. He likes to pitch in big games on the road, sure, but he's horribly inconsistent.

If Ozzie gives the ball to any of his guys, I'd like to see it go to Mark Buehrle, I just think he is the better choice. Even if you look at last year when Garland was undefeated, Buehrle got the ball.

It's not just about the number of wins, although it can be argued that it was Bartolo Colon's magic bullet for the AL Cy Young last year over Buehrle and Garland.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
While the AL bats would certainly give him the run support he needs, Freddy has had some ugly games this first half. He likes to pitch in big games on the road, sure, but he's horribly inconsistent.

If Ozzie gives the ball to any of his guys, I'd like to see it go to Mark Buehrle, I just think he is the better choice. Even if you look at last year when Garland was undefeated, Buehrle got the ball.

It's not just about the number of wins, although it can be argued that it was Bartolo Colon's magic bullet for the AL Cy Young last year over Buehrle and Garland.

You've been Kalapsed.