Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
He's good as an attacking midfielder, but having him used as a back or defending middie is the absolute wrong way to use him (as Bradley's been doing lately) and that is why he has looked poor.

Exactly. Bradley needs to get his s*** straight with Beasley. It's not like there is competition up front from other Americans.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Why the f*** can't we get through a tournament game without getting a f***ing red card.

3-0 now. On the verge of becoming embarrassing.

Someone needs to go Ozzie Guillen on FIFA. Just have a blue streak calling FIFA rigged and biased and mention how all the refs are bribed. It happened in Serie A, it's ignorant to think it's not happening elsewhere. Call them out. Worst case scenario, it would be damned entertaining.

Also, on the verge? It was embarrassing after that 2nd goal.

Obviously, Bocanegra, Edu and Hejduk being hurt just kills the US, but defense wasn't their problem today. Everything was.

Conor Casey is just awful. I was b****ing at Kljestan before the red, I'm not sure what he brings to the MNT. It's frustrating to see a couple MLS guys look so bad when they probably shouldn't have any MLS guys on the roster (obviously Donovan is the exception). I'll give Landon some credit though, he has played well for a couple games in a row. It just proves all the analysts that were yelling at Donovan to play better back in the day saying he was the key. He's clearly not the key because even when he plays well, the product is trash.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been to a World Cup before? If so what is it like? My friends went to the one in Germany and are planning on going to South Africa next year, I love to travel and thinking of joining them. I am not a huge soccer fan, follow the EPL a little on the FSC, but I can appreciate basically any sport played at its highest level.

Are they run well? Is it a cluster F? Is it fun or uncomfortable in the stands? Any thoughts would be appreciated

I was 7 in 94 at Soldier Field, but I remember it being pretty damn cramped and that was Bulgaria (Stoichkov) and Greece. I still cherish that I went to a game though. I can't say how it would be traveling to one though.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
Anyone been to a World Cup before? If so what is it like? My friends went to the one in Germany and are planning on going to South Africa next year, I love to travel and thinking of joining them. I am not a huge soccer fan, follow the EPL a little on the FSC, but I can appreciate basically any sport played at its highest level.

Are they run well? Is it a cluster F? Is it fun or uncomfortable in the stands? Any thoughts would be appreciated

I'd love to know this too as I am seriously debating going to South Africa. Not looking forward to the 24 hour travel time though. Also kinda skeptical about security in So Africa right now. If I do end up going I bet we go to the Cape Town games.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
I'd love to know this too as I am seriously debating going to South Africa. Not looking forward to the 24 hour travel time though. Also kinda skeptical about security in So Africa right now. If I do end up going I bet we go to the Cape Town games.

I have been to South Africa before. There are some beautiful resort type areas in South Africa, including a spot where they have marked where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. I was there for work, 2 weeks after our install armed bandits broke into the office and stole all the brand new computing equipment. So that kind of left a bad taste in my mouth as far as security. That was in the late 90s when this happened.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)

I was 12 in 94 but they had some games in Orlando. Since Orlando is already a tourist city it was jammed packed. I live in the tourist side of town and I remember looking for a new big barrell bat at a sports store in the heart of Tourist-ville after one of the games ended between Mexico and Ireland. Well the Mexican fans just stormed the streets celebrating. It was fun and scary at the same time.

I wished I was able to go to a game back in 94 and have wanted to go to a WC since so I'm hoping the US gets it in 2018 b/c there is no way in hell I would go to Brazil for the 2014 WC.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Man, the vuvuzela has to be the most annoying instrument on earth. I hope FIFA bans them for the world cup.

Absolutely. Horns are fine, but this one is just awful. I feel like they should be allowed for South Africa's games though. That's part of their tradition, or so it seems, and they are at home. They just don't need those awful horns for a Netherlands-Australia match or something.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
hopefully we can beat South Africa after Spain takes us to the woodshed.

Haha just what I was thinking. That likely SA game will be a better test than the Spain match. Spain should just work the US.

I wouldn't mind if they were only using it at the South African matches but get that s*** the f*** out of Brazil v Italy. Annoying as heck. Apparently quite a few players/coaches have complained to FIFA about it.

Wow, just completely unbeliveable.

The US finally played a complete game and it should have been (at least) 4-0. Still, there were a few great chances they failed to capitalize on. Donovan has been phenomenal and Dempsey had a big goal. He's so much better when utilized up front and not asked to do too much on the defensive side of the ball.

Spain is going to be an incredibly tough match, but South Africa should be beaten by us as Egypt is a vastly superior team and the US seemed to control that game pretty easily.

And if you're Italy, just wow. Completely inexcusable. Those fans back home can be none to thrilled.

The US is going to have to play the match of their lives if they want to stay with Spain.

Hopefully they at least make them uncomfortable, but regardless its invaluable experience for the US having played Brasil, Italy and Spain.

Still a long way for the team to go, but they are getting better.

Time for Brazil. Should be exciting. A US win would have to be their biggest ever. The Spain win is top 10 as Lalas said, probably top 5. The Gold Cup roster was released. Click here for it. A lot of young guys, but also a lot of MLS guys on it. Not that the Gold Cup is all that important, but it's a new mix of players.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 03:07 AM)
Time for Brazil. Should be exciting. A US win would have to be their biggest ever. The Spain win is top 10 as Lalas said, probably top 5. The Gold Cup roster was released. Click here for it. A lot of young guys, but also a lot of MLS guys on it. Not that the Gold Cup is all that important, but it's a new mix of players.

Doesnt the Gold Cup qualify you for the Confederations Cup or no?

That roster is awful. The forwards are pretty decent and having Adu in the midfield is good but the rest of the roster yuck. I would have liked to have seen players like Kljestan, Edu, Torres, Clark and even Eddie Johnson get some work.

As for the Spain game, just wow. Spain was the better team but we got the result. The defense did a tremendous of job of not letting the Spanish strikers get good looks but when they did Howard was great. What's awesome is how much coverage the MNT is all of a sudden getting in the media. Nice to see for a change.