Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
I agree, of course Honduras would sell the rights to the game to make an extra dollar. Bull s***

I guess I'll give them a break, you know, cause they're in the middle of a coup, and all.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
Wow that sucks. Any chance there'll be some stream of it online?

I'd say very doubtful.

I wonder how the people who bought the rights to this game is going to make any money off of it. The game isnt on PPV and is only available at a handful of bars according to the national team website.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
I'd say very doubtful.

I wonder how the people who bought the rights to this game is going to make any money off of it. The game isnt on PPV and is only available at a handful of bars according to the national team website.

Too bad we didn't have another home game vs Honduras so we could return the favor.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
I'd say very doubtful.

The game was on channelsurfing.net, I watched a large portion of it on there in between plays of the football games. It was crappy picture quality, but it beats nothing.

Anyways, USA 3, Honduras 2 is the final and the USA have officially qualified for World Cup 2010. :headbang Apparently, a Honduran player missed a penalty kick (I did not see it, which is why I say apparently, but the announcer made reference to it right after the game went final). I would not want to be that guy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

nothing more entertaining than watching the Argentina-Peru match in Brazil with 3 Argentinians. When they scored in the 92nd, they all ripped their shirts off and started yelling back at the brazilians who were rooting for Peru.

That said, I can't stand maradona

US striker Charlie Davies was involved in car crash this morning that put him into surgury. 1 person died in the accident and davies and the other occupant were sent to the hospital. Prayers go out to everyone involved and to a speedy recovery for Charlie whos injuries are possibly "career threatening"

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
Serbia handled Romania 5-0 to win Group 7 and qualify for WC2010. It was amazing day. Now we play a meaningless match in Lithuania where some of our younger players will hopefully get some quality experience.

Was it Serbia that Argentina beat in the last World Cup 5 or 6-0 or am I thinking of another European nation?

I think you have a good chance of making the 16 at least depending on the draw though.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
US striker Charlie Davies was involved in car crash this morning that put him into surgury. 1 person died in the accident and davies and the other occupant were sent to the hospital. Prayers go out to everyone involved and to a speedy recovery for Charlie whos injuries are possibly "career threatening"

Very sad story. After seeing the pictures from the crash, I cant believe anyone could survive that.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)

Just terrible in so many ways. The fact that a young woman died being the toughest part, but Charlie was really coming into his own as a player as well. Doctors say injuries like his take 6-12 months to recover. Well the WC is 8 months away. With Charlie's fitness level you never know, but it is almost assuredly a blow to the US team and potentially the rest of his career

Last day of UEFA qualfying today. Not too many races left, and looks like most of the teams that have to win have easy matchups against last place teams, like Portugal vs. Malta, so shouldnt be too many surprises. The Argentina vs. Uruguay matchup tonight should be a good one, both teams trying to qualify and avoid the playoff vs. Honduras/Costa Rica

Poland is solidly in 5th place in their group, but thankfully they already qualified for Euro 2012 :headbang

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
6 and a half minutes of stoppage time in the US vs Costa Rica game,WTF...

it was warrented with what costa rica was doing, they milked it in every f***ing way. Suck it mexico and costa rica!!! USA BABYYYYYYYYYY

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Was it Serbia that Argentina beat in the last World Cup 5 or 6-0 or am I thinking of another European nation?

I think you have a good chance of making the 16 at least depending on the draw though.

Yes, unfortunately it was Serbia/Montenegro that was beaten 6-0. It was one of the most embarrassing days of my life. There was a lot of hype around that team with the Fab 4 defense that allowed like 2 goals all throughout the qualifying period and had a good striking duo with Kezman/Milosevic and a young Zigic. We were placed in the group of death with Argentina, Netherlands, and Ivory Coast and once they got there, they just collapsed and were in way over their heads. They lost a heartbreaker in the opener 1-0 to the Netherlands in which we played very well and lost on an Arjen Robben goal. Then they just didn't show up to play Argentina and got their asses handed to them 6-0, and with nothing to play for, they took an early lead on the Ivory Coast only to lose 3-2.

But this year's squad is far younger and had played together for a while. Serbian teams have been known to get ahead and then milk a lead for a while only to give up a late goal or 2 and draw or lose. This team continues to attack and accompany an awesome D led by Vidic/Ivanovic/Subotic with great offensive playmakers like Jovanovic and Krasic. They showed this against Romania. They were up 1-0 at the half, and in times past, they'd bring in all the defensive players they could to try and hold on to the lead but now they continue to attack and use offense as a line of defense. They ended up winning 5-0.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
it was warrented with what costa rica was doing, they milked it in every f***ing way. Suck it mexico and costa rica!!! USA BABYYYYYYYYYY

News flash chief,Mexico is in the WC and who finishes first really doesn't matter...

By the way,alot of you guys were talking smack about Mexico not even making it to the WC and you were only a last second goal on ridiculous extra stoppage time and 1 point away from being second in this qualifying group,come on admit it,Mexico finished strong and did administer a beat down in NY (5-0) and a come from behind win at the Azteca.

Congrats to USA,Mexico and Honduras...Costa Rica won't beat Uruguay in my opinion.

I thought you werent a soccer fan yet you talk about all these events as if you were watching every game. Or are you not a soccer fan when Mexico sucks?

And why was the stoppage time ridiculous? We had a player get carted off the field so of course youre going to get more than the normal 2-3 minutes of added time. The official time was 5 minutes and the goal came in the 4:30 range.

Also I love how you mention the 5-0 game like it mattered.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)
News flash chief,Mexico is in the WC and who finishes first really doesn't matter...

By the way,alot of you guys were talking smack about Mexico not even making it to the WC and you were only a last second goal on ridiculous extra stoppage time and 1 point away from being second in this qualifying group,come on admit it,Mexico finished strong and did administer a beat down in NY (5-0) and a come from behind win at the Azteca.

Congrats to USA,Mexico and Honduras...Costa Rica won't beat Uruguay in my opinion.

First off, talking about how your 'B' squad plus two of the best young players in North America beat our 'B' maybe 'C' squad doesnt matter at all, I don't know why you keep bringing it up. Secondly, the smack at the time was warranted. I don't think anyone who follows soccer closely really felt Mexico would miss the WC, but when qualifying started they sure were doing their best to miss out, that's for sure. And finally, did you watch the game? The stoppage time was entirely warranted. You had their subs literally walking off the field, their coach caused about a 2 minute stoppage himself, their players keep laying on the ground in "agony" only to miraculously get up again as soon as they hit the sideline and Onyewu had to be carted off the field with a legitimate serious injury. The 5 minutes of added time could have even been more IMO. It only turned into 6 and a half b/c the US scored a goal adding on a minute or so of extra stoppage time.

But since you say you aren't really a soccer fan you probably don't care.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)

I still don't understand why you think the stoppage time was ridiculous, you probably didn't watch the game. Both teams used all their subs in the 2nd half for a combined 6 substitutions. For each substitution 30 seconds are added to stoppage time making it 3 minutes at the least. Then, Onyewu needed to be carted off along with Costa Rican players faking injuries, and their coaches getting red carted and thrown out. 5 minutes of stoppage time is completely warranted. And beating the US B team in the Gold Cup doesn't mean much because the 2009 Gold Cup didn't count for anything. The USA was in the Confederations cup this summer because they won the Gold Cup Final in 2007 when it mattered against guess who? Mexico!!!! Also, I'm pretty sure finishing on top of the group means something to the team and the fans, so it isn't worthless. Maybe you should follow and understand the game before you say anything.