Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 08:19 AM)
Ghana's strength is in their midfield. They lack a dangerous striker. Same can be said of Germany. Don't know much about Australia. So if defense is what Serbia is known for they should be in good shape to advance.

Basically under Pim Verbeek we play 4-2-3-1 with a big striker up front, with Kewell, Cahill and Bresciano behind.

We've become pretty strong defensively, but have problems scoring at times.

Pretty bad draw for us, and we'll have to get results against Ghana and Serbia if we want to move on.

Ghana have Michael Essien who's argubly the best defensive midfielder in the world.

As for the US, that's pretty much a dream draw, and if you can't advance to the 2nd round, your manager should be sacked.

Very good draw for us today. Really was expecting something bad after seeing us paired with the English. A draw vs England would be HUGE.

I think the group with Germany,Ghana, Serbia and Australia is the toughest. I dont see Australia moving on but they could spoil someone's tournament with a win. (Something North Korea cant do which is why I give this group the edge) Anyone of the other 3 could easily finish in the tiop 2.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
You don't think Klose and Podolski are good forwards?

They're good but I wouldnt call them world class. Basically I'm saying they are more than capable of putting the ball in the net but I wouldnt go into the game worrying about them the way I would about a Drogba or Rooney or Torres or Forlan. Germany's strength is undoubtedly in their midfield with Ballack, Schweinstager and Frings

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
Basically under Pim Verbeek we play 4-2-3-1 with a big striker up front, with Kewell, Cahill and Bresciano behind.

We've become pretty strong defensively, but have problems scoring at times.

Pretty bad draw for us, and we'll have to get results against Ghana and Serbia if we want to move on.

Ghana have Michael Essien who's argubly the best defensive midfielder in the world.

As for the US, that's pretty much a dream draw, and if you can't advance to the 2nd round, your manager should be sacked.

Without a doubt he's top 3. And they have STeven Appiah and Sully Muntari in the middle as well, but they clearly lack the top flight striker that will be needed, which is why I think they aren't much of a threat this time around.

I'd be surprised if he gets much gametime for Everton, although they have been ravaged by injury.

Don't think he'd played ahead of Jo or Louis Saha, while Tim Cahill and Bilanetdov (know I didn't spell that right) play the AMC in Moyes' 4-4-1-1 system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 04:37 AM)
I'd be surprised if he gets much gametime for Everton, although they have been ravaged by injury.

Don't think he'd played ahead of Jo or Louis Saha, while Tim Cahill and Bilanetdov (know I didn't spell that right) play the AMC in Moyes' 4-4-1-1 system.

He will come off the bench as an extra attacker if they are down or tied late in the game. The only way he starts is if his fitness level is good, and he has good results and a good work rate.

The Togolese national football team's bus was attacked today on the way to their first game of the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola. Apparently the driver was killed and 2 players and 4 coaches were injured. Dodo Obilale and Serge Akakpo have been listed as the injured players but it is not confirmed. Manchester City did confirm that Emmanuel Adebayor was unhurt.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Manchester City lost 92.6 million pounds last year.

And they are about to add Patrick Vieira to their squad

Damn, that's 151 Million US.

Edited by JPN366

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else been following the whole John Terry fiasco?

Basically he cheated on his wife for the umpteenth time, with a French Lingerie Model who was the ex-wife of his former club-team Wayne Bridge, and they have a 3YO son together.

Also for whoever follows the Premier League, looks like we have a 3 team race again with Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal all in it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)
Anyone else been following the whole John Terry fiasco?

Basically he cheated on his wife for the umpteenth time, with a French Lingerie Model who was the ex-wife of his former club-team Wayne Bridge, and they have a 3YO son together.

Also for whoever follows the Premier League, looks like we have a 3 team race again with Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal all in it.

GO GUNNERS!!!

Thought Arsenal were left for dead a couple weeks ago, but they do have an outside chance. Their schedule seems favorable the rest of the way, so we'll see. I'd still like a more consistent offense from them.