Update On Jones

palesox38

What do you think?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sox trade for Andruw Jones?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the Braves will eat some of his salary

With all the recent talk of the possibility of Andruw Jones to the White Sox that I've heard on radio and tv, I decided to find a little dirt on the internet. I know most of you don't find MLB Trade Rumors to be a very credible source (nor do I most of the time) but since I saw it I thought I'de let everyone know. According to the source the site spoke with the sox are close to acquiring Jones for Anderson and young pitching. Theres not alot more information than that provided, but I was shocked to see it and in all honesty, if this is credible, I would have no problem with the trade. Anderson will be a good player and he's still young, but I believe Jones is in his mid 20's and is probably the best defensive centerfielder in baseball, not to mention the power he has. Sign me up for it. What do you guys think?

Jones is in his late twenties, almost thirty I think. He's notorious for not trying his hardest (something that won't sit well with Guillen), and this move doesn't satisfy the biggest problem the team has. Those are some negatives, and while there is great upside to this trade, I don't really see the point to it unless there's a pitcher on the way in some other deal. The Sox don't need Jones, they need pitching.

Andruw Jones just turned 29 meaning he's a year younger than Konerko and a year older than Crede, I really wouldn't call his age a huge negative in this one. As for the "not trying" bulls***, the guy has had random times throughout his career (mainly when he was around 20) when he would maybe not go all out for a ball hit in front of him, there are a ton of players in the league who do this, just about all of them do it, most of them do it far more often than Andruw. But since Jones has spent his entire career with Bobby Cox riding his ass and calling him out everytime he does something stupid he's been labeled as "lazy" and such. It's a joke.

The major problem I see is from the financial aspect, I'm starting to think that the price for Jones is going to be incredibly low for a player of his stature simply because of how desperately it seems the Braves want rid of his contract. This makes him incredibly desirable right now. At the same time though he's set to make $13M this year and $13.5M next year after than he's a free agent. His agent, Satan, will surely have him testing the waters after '07 and I'm not sure that's something the Sox would want to get themselves into.

As for the other rumor - Jones would certainly be a sweet pickup for the White Sox. Brian Anderson has been terrible this year, but he was the organization's best prospect entering the 2005 season according to Baseball America. The Sox have some decent if not spectacular pitching prospects, so this one isn't out of the realm of possibility. Plus, there's always Brandon McCarthy.

:huh:

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Jones is in his late twenties, almost thirty I think. He's notorious for not trying his hardest (something that won't sit well with Guillen), and this move doesn't satisfy the biggest problem the team has. Those are some negatives, and while there is great upside to this trade, I don't really see the point to it unless there's a pitcher on the way in some other deal. The Sox don't need Jones, they need pitching.

ha, he's also "notorious" for hitting almost 40 homers a year.

uh yeah, the "source" also reports a possible A-Rod to the Cubs deal.....

This is a hell of a trade rumor, and it'd be wrong not to pass it along. According to the blog Bleed Cubbie Blue:

"The Cubs are reportedly "in discussions" with the Yankees for a deal in which the principals would be Aramis Ramirez...and Alex Rodriguez...This deal, if it happens, might also include Jacque Jones, and other lesser players including prospects on both sides.

This same source told me that the White Sox are "close" to acquiring Andruw Jones from the Braves; the price would be Brian Anderson and young pitching. That deal would also make sense for both sides.

If the A-Rod to the Cubs deal happens, also expect Todd Walker to be moved (maybe to the Tigers), and at that point A-Rod moves back to SS, Ronny Cedeno to 2B, and the Cubs get a placeholder 3B until they can either sign one or trade for one in the offseason."

yeah......

Edited by atrain081

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
With all the recent talk of the possibility of Andruw Jones to the White Sox that I've heard on radio and tv, I decided to find a little dirt on the internet. I know most of you don't find MLB Trade Rumors to be a very credible source (nor do I most of the time) but since I saw it I thought I'de let everyone know. According to the source the site spoke with the sox are close to acquiring Jones for Anderson and young pitching. Theres not alot more information than that provided, but I was shocked to see it and in all honesty, if this is credible, I would have no problem with the trade. Anderson will be a good player and he's still young, but I believe Jones is in his mid 20's and is probably the best defensive centerfielder in baseball, not to mention the power he has. Sign me up for it. What do you guys think?

The rumor actually came from bleedcubbieblue, and it is a footnote to the A-Rod to Cubs trade rumor.

Jones is an awesome player, but this seems like it is a long shot at best.

Where would he most likely bat in the order? and who do you think Atlanta would want in return (McCarthy, Anderson, etc)?

We don't need Jones, and his contract will just hurt the team. His offense is just excessive in terms of what this team needs, and is his defense really that much better than BA's to make a noticable difference?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 02:57 AM)
Andruw Jones just turned 29 meaning he's a year younger than Konerko and a year older than Crede, I really wouldn't call his age a huge negative in this one. As for the "not trying" bulls***, the guy has had random times throughout his career (mainly when he was around 20) when he would maybe not go all out for a ball hit in front of him, there are a ton of players in the league who do this, just about all of them do it, most of them do it far more often than Andruw. But since Jones has spent his entire career with Bobby Cox riding his ass and calling him out everytime he does something stupid he's been labeled as "lazy" and such. It's a joke.

Yeah, there was that time when Cox sent in a defensive sub in the middle of the inning b/c he thought Andruw was dogging it. I think that went a long way toward cementing his "lazy" reputation. But that was a long time ago, and iirc he's been praised the last couple years as a hard worker. It wouldn't concern me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)

If Jones were to dog it at all, Ozzie wouldn't like it and that's my point, and those players you are mentioning aren't on the Sox. Nevertheless, he doesn't help the main problem this team has, which is pitching. If this move gets made, that's just great, but there better be something else happening.

It isn't happening. A-Rod isn't going to the Cubs either. The Yankees pay ARod $15 million of his salary with Texas covering the rest. Why would they trade him for Ramirez, a guy with a balky back who at his best puts up numbers ARod puts up when he's struggling? Also if Jeter were to have a catastrophic injury, ARod could easily move to SS, something Ramirez couldn't do.

Jones got a lot of bad jumps on fly balls at the Cell. I was not impressed but then I've been watching BA and Rowand the last few years.

This is also from that site. I recently spoke with my best White Sox source. There's nothing terribly exciting brewing with the club right now:

The Sox are content with their personnel this year, even more than a year ago. They're happy with their depth and probably will not make any major deals before the deadline (ie, Andruw Jones is highly unlikely).

If they are to make a small trade, the White Sox match up well with sabermetric-type teams. Kenny Williams has made minor but helpful trades recently with Boston (David Riske) and Arizona (Alex Cintron). (And of course another not-so-small trade with Josh Byrnes for Javier Vazquez). It wouldn't be surprising to see another small trade with that type of club. Chicago has been middle of the pack as far as relievers' ERA, so the 'pen may have room for upgrade.

On an unrelated note, my source also indicated that the Dodgers are "kicking a lot of tires right now" and may acquire bullpen help this week.

Edited by That funky motion

I seriously doubt this is a legit possibility, but if it is I don't see how the Sox could lose. Brian Anderson has a ton of talent, but he is no Andruw Jones, who is without a doubt one of the best CF'ers in baseball. But what else is the cost for him? I agree too that the Braves wouldn't pay a dime of his remaining contract if they were looking to trade. They aren't in some desperation move here.

So just to update...

Bleed Cubbie Blue says the Sox are talking about a BA+Pitching for Jones swap.

12 hours later, MLBtraderumors runs it, and get's cited here.

Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times speaks directly with KW, who denies both Figgins and Jones rumors.

A day passes.

MLBtraderumors speaks with a source who says the Sox are content.

Why does that site get so much attention here?

Guest JimH
Why does that site get so much attention here?

Because it's a lot more interesting than your blog?

So just to update...

Bleed Cubbie Blue says the Sox are talking about a BA+Pitching for Jones swap.

12 hours later, MLBtraderumors runs it, and get's cited here.

Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times speaks directly with KW, who denies both Figgins and Jones rumors.

A day passes.

MLBtraderumors speaks with a source who says the Sox are content.

Seems to me he's taking a veiled swipe at Bleed Cubbie Blue.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Because it's a lot more interesting than your blog?

# of Trade rumors broken by MLBtraderumors.com that came true: 0

# of claims of insider knowledge by said blog: a bunch

# of trade rumors broken by me that came true: 0

# of claims of insider knowledge at said blog: 0

Seems pretty even, though I don't claim to be anything more than a fan who gives a running commentary.

# of moves reported in advance by Halos Heaven: 2 in the past 3 months -- But who's counting?

Seems to me he's taking a veiled swipe at Bleed Cubbie Blue.

Sure he says something about the 'source' -- that he doesn't know who would have a single source with insider knowledge of two front offices -- But I know Al, he works in the building that houses ABC 7 and ESPN 1000. I'd say he comes in contact with people who have close contact with both the Cubs and Sox front offices. In fact, that knowledge sure narrows his source to a few people.

I just don't understand why anyone here bothers to read the site regarding the White Sox. He's presented nothing that isn't already discussed in the NY Daily News, Daily Herald, Fox Sports, Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, or here first.

Look at the number of moves the White Sox have made since the inception of that site. Vazquez, Mackowiak, Cintron, Thome, Riske... Now go back and look at the site. Not a single mention of any of such Sox movement re: said players, or at least not before it was widely reported elsewhere.

Why bother claiming a source when it's clear that your "source" doesn't bother to give you any real info. Don't even get me started on the Alex Woodson thing again. That was just plain silly.

Guest JimH
You went out of your way to take a shot at him for no reason.

It's my opinion ... ok?

Or is that not allowed anymore?

# of Trade rumors broken by MLBtraderumors.com that came true: 0

# of claims of insider knowledge by said blog: a bunch

# of trade rumors broken by me that came true: 0

# of claims of insider knowledge at said blog: 0

Seems pretty even, though I don't claim to be anything more than a fan who gives a running commentary.

# of moves reported in advance by Halos Heaven: 2 in the past 3 months -- But who's counting?

Sure he says something about the 'source' -- that he doesn't know who would have a single source with insider knowledge of two front offices -- But I know Al, he works in the building that houses ABC 7 and ESPN 1000. I'd say he comes in contact with people who have close contact with both the Cubs and Sox front offices. In fact, that knowledge sure narrows his source to a few people.

I just don't understand why anyone here bothers to read the site regarding the White Sox. He's presented nothing that isn't already discussed in the NY Daily News, Daily Herald, Fox Sports, Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, or here first.

Look at the number of moves the White Sox have made since the inception of that site. Vazquez, Mackowiak, Cintron, Thome, Riske... Now go back and look at the site. Not a single mention of any of such Sox movement re: said players, or at least not before it was widely reported elsewhere.

Why bother claiming a source when it's clear that your "source" doesn't bother to give you any real info. Don't even get me started on the Alex Woodson thing again. That was just plain silly.

What you don't understand, and what you've never understood, and what I doubt you ever will understand is that site is a clearinghouse for things the guy reads, hears, or is told. It really is that straightforward.

The problem with people who bash that site IMO is this ... they are frustrated that some of these rumors don't come true. They keep little pencil and ruler scorecards so they can claim the validity or non-validity of that site or others like it.

Maybe people read that site because it gives them another viewpoint about what discussions might be taking place? You go out of your way to dismiss it every chance you get.

Everyone wants the scoop in trade discussions. Unfortunately, no one ... anywhere ... has the 100% scoop. He doesn't, beat writers don't, radio people don't, heck even a GM doesn't (because they don't always know what the other GM is doing). It is all part of a big puzzle that fans enjoy putting together. I don't understand why that's hard to understand, nor do I understand why you take shots at the site. But that's your perogative. I've read your blog twice, I think it's far less interesting than his site ... so be it. It's all the readers opinion anyways, in terms of what they get out of a site and its content.

Edited by JimH

For the mlbtraderumors site, it comes down to credibility. If you are going to post every single far fetched idea that is on the web, then you are not going to have any credibility. Reminds me of MediaWatch.

That site comes across more humorous than anything.