Catcher Pick-up

Harry Chappas

I just glanced at USA Today and it stated that the catcher we claimed from the Padres was the 12th pick overall in 2000 and was traded for 'Mean' Gene Kingsdale.  Any word on what this guy may have to offer?

As a "part-time" Padres fan living in SD, I can tell you they got this guy because of his defensive presence behind the plate. He has a gun, and blocks balls in the dirt very well.

They traded for him (and Kingsdale was highly touted too) thinking he can return to his minor league hitting form in AAA a few years back. I have no clue why they gave up on him and not Wiki Gonzalez, but I can tell you the sports radio channel I listen to was ripping Kevin Towers for trying to sneak him through waivers and now getting no compensation for him.

Kudos to KW for this one.

As a "part-time" Padres fan living in SD, I can tell you they got this guy because of his defensive presence behind the plate. He has a gun, and blocks balls in the dirt very well.

They traded for him (and Kingsdale was highly touted too) thinking he can return to his minor league hitting form in AAA a few years back. I have no clue why they gave up on him and not Wiki Gonzalez, but I can tell you the sports radio channel I listen to was ripping Kevin Towers for trying to sneak him through waivers and now getting no compensation for him.

Kudos to KW for this one.

Is it just me or is Kevin Towers a pretty big idiot?

He had a good year in double AA for the tigers in 2001 and when he got to the big leagues he didnt perform well.

Rivera was named the Tigers co-Minor League Player of the Year in 2001 after hitting .289 (120-415) with 33 home runs and 101 RBI at Class AA Erie and batted .249 (66-265) with 20 homers and 53 RBI at Class AAA Toledo in 2002.

33 HRs, 101 RBIs and .289 AVG. Good numbers.

No problem with that getting it on with another player, "not that there is anything wrong with that," could cause clubhouse dissention.  Maybe there are things going on in the Padre clubhouse.....

Nahhh...maybe Klesko and Nevin started giving him s***, then dubbed him with the "lazy" tag like they did with DJ.

I like the sound of this kid. He sounds like a great defensive catcher, which is the 1st thing you look for in a backup. He hit 33 HR's in AA and 20 in AAA the next year. It sounds like this kid has a little pop as well. He was a high draft pick and pretty highly thought of. He is only 26 and didn't cost the Sox anything in return. I really like this move. He could be the Sox backup of the future and adds depth to a position that has none. Good move KW.

I like the pickup as well. It's obvious that Olivo is our catcher for the next 6 years (unless he falls on his face - I doubt it), and now we have a young kid who ALSO could be ours for the next 6 years. In other words, our catching position could likely be set. We have enough worries on the roster as it is - having the position of catcher solidified is a good thing.

Just hope he's another one of the Tradition of Good PuertoRican Catcher's who's gone through the Majors like..

Benito Santiago, Pudge Rodriguez, Benji Molina, Sandy(Before the Injuries), etc etc etc

Just hope he's another one of the Tradition of Good PuertoRican Catcher's who's gone through the Majors like..

Benito Santiago, Pudge Rodriguez, Benji Molina, Sandy(Before the Injuries), etc etc etc

And no one here is saying that Sandy isn't still valuable. He has only helped Miguel's development speed up.

Maybe this makes up for that deal where KW thought he was acquiring one player and acquired some other hoser with the same name.

I'd like to see him hit 33 homers in the bigs like he did in that minor league season you posted.

I don't care if he puts up Mark Johnson numbers. If he's decent on defense, he should be a good ML backup. And if he can hit... well, having a platoon of two catchers with good defense and decent hitting solidifies a position that most teams have little to nothing at. If he fails... he's a cheap minor leaguer. Who cares?