Red Sox @ White Sox - July 8

Heads22

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)
Last year he got on base and caused havoc.

This year he seems to be trying to hit the ball in the air. When he gets on first he either gets picked off, or does nothing. And it seems this year, he has forgotten how to catch fly balls. Not difficult fly balls, no run of the mill he gets under it fly balls.

Hopefully they start playing Mr. Fields in LF for the rest of the year, and we can go with a Fields/someone else platoon instead of the great he is fast, cant get on base, cant steal routine we have now.

His OBP last year was .351. So far this year its .347. So he's basically getting on at the same rate. He's driving in more runs, and scoring more. Offensively, he is a better player this year than last. There was a love affair with his mediocrity last year that is unexplained. His homer in the WS is the one thing that will make me give him slack. Defensively, he is just awful. I wonder how hard Ozzie laughed when Pods volunteered to move to CF.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

For the stat guys ... isn't Freddy Garcia generally a better pitcher during day games, I thought I'd heard or read that. It's not something I keep track of but it may come into play today?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
For the stat guys ... isn't Freddy Garcia generally a better pitcher during day games, I thought I'd heard or read that. It's not something I keep track of but it may come into play today?

Last year he was just dominant during the day, not sure about this year though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Freddy's era is actually higher during the day this year. Another interesting stat is that his era is almost a whole run lower at home this year.

Ah, baseball. More stats to notice than any other sport. I love it.

Guest JimH
Last year he was just dominant during the day, not sure about this year though.

Yes, thanks, that's what I recall ... well, he needs to step up today.

Frankly it is time for all of these starters to step up. Deep down a lot of us knew there would likely be some drop off from the outstanding performance of last year but they are professionals and need to be more consistent. Granted some of these good offensive teams will nail you every so often but I see a lot of missed location, mistakes, and getting rattled by umpire's strike zones. That doesn't cut it come playoff time.

This AllStar break is actually coming at a good time for the White Sox. Personally I sense most of these guys really need a break. All in all their record is quite good but save for that recent 10 of 11 or whatever it was, to me they are still not hitting their optimum stride. And it all starts with starting pitching. It comes down to that. Either they will carry it to the playoffs and further, or they will flounder.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Freddy's era is actually higher during the day this year. Another interesting stat is that his era is almost a whole run lower at home this year.

Javier Vazquez has basically turned into a version of Freddy Garcia.

He has a 2.33 ERA in 4 day games pitched so far this season, and a 4.89 ERA in away games.

Freddy's main problem this season has been giving up more of the longball (19 in 17GS compared to 26 in 33GS last season), and a higher BAA of .280.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
This AllStar break is actually coming at a good time for the White Sox. Personally I sense most of these guys really need a break. All in all their record is quite good but save for that recent 10 of 11 or whatever it was, to me they are still not hitting their optimum stride. And it all starts with starting pitching. It comes down to that. Either they will carry it to the playoffs and further, or they will flounder.

Yeah it really is. Coop really needs to sit down with them during this time, and really show them what they need to do to improve and become more consistent because each starter at various points of this 1st half of the season have shown that they can dominate.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
Brian is hitting like .279 in July. Albeit, a small sample, but still awesomely encouraging.

Seriously thats so huge, :cheers to you BA, and thanks for making me eat a lil crow *even though i said IF he didn't turn it around we would need some help*. GO FG bring your A game and show up we need to take this series since the Ms are in a tailspin.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
Only thing I can think of is his batting eye besides getting alot of SB and being caught a crap load of times. Excellent disipline at the plate even though he probably stares more at strike three than anyone. To go from striking out 90-100 times in milwakee and only shortening that to 75 from last year (not using this year) is pretty incredible.

My problem with his "discipline" is that he looks at strike 3 WAY too often like you said. I think when he learned his "discipline" he left the lesson on "protect the plate on a 2 strike count" to go bang his wife.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
My problem with his "discipline" is that he looks at strike 3 WAY too often like you said. I think when he learned his "discipline" he left the lesson on "protect the plate on a 2 strike count" to go bang his wife.

:D :lol:

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)

Do you blame him?

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
*gets Chills*

LOL @ the team pretending Javy is good.

Vazquez is a little like Wood. His reputation is built on stuff, and limited success a few years ago. Disregard the fact that his ERA is above league average the past 2 1/2 years and he looks pretty good. Unfortunately, he gained his reputation pitching meaningless games for the Expos.