I'm finally off of the Podsednik bandwagon (long)

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
I'm not sure where you got 4-4 but I got different numbers.

Still, lets say your numbers are correct, then we've averaged almost a half run lower per game without him in the lineup.

Sorry, those were just games in which Pods did not have a plate appearance.

In any case, in most of those games, offensive production was clearly not hurt enough for it to be a problem

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 07:17 AM)
Pods, Fields and Vaz for Carl Crowford would work for me.

How many times do we have to point out that the D-Rays do not want a $10 million a year pitcher before people get it? That'd seriously be 1/4 of their whole salary on 1 guy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Sure....but it wouldn't work for Tampa. If we want Crawford, McCarthy's going to have to be included in the deal.

From what I have read, The DRays want 1 frontline starter and 1 midline starter for Crawford. However, he may not even be available anymore as they have recently dealt Gathright and Huff.

I imagine if he is available, something to the tune of McCarthy, Fields, and Haeger may get it done, but they may even ask for someone like Cotts as well.

I would deal BMac and prospects for Crawford in a heartbeat if not for the salary constraints we already have.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
From what I have read, The DRays want 1 frontline starter and 1 midline starter for Crawford. However, he may not even be available anymore as they have recently dealt Gathright and Huff.

I imagine if he is available, something to the tune of McCarthy, Fields, and Haeger may get it done, but they may even ask for someone like Cotts as well.

I would deal BMac and prospects for Crawford in a heartbeat if not for the salary constraints we already have.

Crawford will definitely be available after this season.

For Carl Crawford, they can have anyone under the age of 26 not named McCarthy. Take your pick of Fields, Heager, Broadway, Lummy etc

I still see Brandon as being far too important to this team in the long run to deal him now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
For Carl Crawford, they can have anyone under the age of 26 not named McCarthy. Take your pick of Fields, Heager, Broadway, Lummy etc

I still see Brandon as being far too important to this team in the long run to deal him now.

On that one I would agree. They can even have combinations of multiple people. However, Brandon and Brian are off limits to me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)

I guess I just think that Brandon is more replacable (Broadway, Lumsden, Heath Phillips even) than Anderson.

I would absolutely be willing to trade McCarthy for Carl Crawford.

Edited by shawnhillegas

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
On that one I would agree. They can even have combinations of multiple people. However, Brandon and Brian are off limits to me.

Brandon is a nice pitcher to have, but were it not for the financial position of this team, I would gladly include him in a deal for a young superstar player. However, with salaries beginning to rise dramatically, a few players getting closer to FA (Mark, Joe) and a payroll at or about $100 million, Brandon's ability to pitch at a relatively decent level combined with his low cost make him a fairly necessary piece for us to hold on to.

We are going to need him in that rotation soon not because his talent is forcing us to put him there, but because our payroll is.

If it were purely from a talent perspective, I can't see how you could pass on a Carl Crawford or Miguel Cabrera for the sake of what Brandon might one day become.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Brandon is a nice pitcher to have, but were it not for the financial position of this team, I would gladly include him in a deal for a young superstar player. However, with salaries beginning to rise dramatically, a few players getting closer to FA (Mark, Joe) and a payroll at or about $100 million, Brandon's ability to pitch at a relatively decent level combined with his low cost make him a fairly necessary piece for us to hold on to.

We are going to need him in that rotation soon not because his talent is forcing us to put him there, but because our payroll is.

If it were purely from a talent perspective, I can't see how you could pass on a Carl Crawford or Miguel Cabrera for the sake of what Brandon might one day become.

I think this raises a much larger issue.

In my mind, the White Sox have exactly a three year window, including last year, to compete for the World Series. I'd like to see them do everything possible to win those three World Series, even if it means 2008 is a 60 win campaign.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)

In my mind, the White Sox have exactly a three year window, including last year, to compete for the World Series. I'd like to see them do everything possible to win those three World Series, even if it means 2008 is a 60 win campaign.

i absolutely agree, especially since we have seen how effective intentional, cyclical, rebuilding can be if done right. and i think kenny can do it right.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)

I for one think we have a better chance to win in 2007 with Brandon McCarthy in our starting rotation and Freddy Garcia and his contract traded away than we would with Carl Crawford in LF next year and Brandon McCarthy gone.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
I should also say that if the hypothetical Kevin Youkilis fell right into our laps -- ie, the "unusual" leadoff man who isn't fast, but has a real high OBP -- I'd take him as our leadoff man in a heartbeat.

I agree, stealing bases has its place in baseball esp for a leadoff man, but i'd much prefer to have someone like Kevin atop our lineup with the likes of iguchi(i think its great that he sacrifices himself so much but i'd love to keep the bat in his hands, we've all seen what he can do with it)/thome/konerko/dye coming up behind him.

We don't need a constant base stealer i think we just need someone like Chris Denorfia(note: this is the 100th time i've brought his name up, and hes currently in my sig along with Ryan Wagner). I'd love for KW to trade Augstin Montero/Cliff Politte + Charlie Haeger for Chris Denorfia & Ryan Wagner. I think Hermanson will be back real soon and he will shore up the final spot in our bullpen.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)

While I respect your opinion Greg, I disagree. True we do have a 3 year window, with our current rotation and roster, but I truly believe with this GM/FO, manager and ownership the sox will do what the yankees of the late 90's failed to do.

Now someone reading this thread would say "but beautox what did they fail to do? they had a dynasty and have made the post season time and time again" and i would reply with, "while this is true, they got older and foolish; just because you have over 100million in payroll doesn't mean you have to be foolish with it". That my fellow soxtalk posters is where this FO and the yankees differ greatly.

At the start of spring training this season KW was on comcast sportsnet with DJ saying how the white sox have adopted the braves philosophy of bringing in their young talent when viable. In the past that wouldn't have appeared true seeing how KW seemed to give away the farm. But now 1917 is just another championship banner hanging on the south side, and instant gratification is over for white sox fans and longevity is here to stay, so long as this current setup remains intact.

Kenny has a knack for picking players up while they're down and turning seemingly busts into gold. Lets keep that in mind along with the fact from now until '09 and after 4/6ths of our rotation are locked up, along with the fact Broadway/Phillips/McCulloch/Lumsden will be knocking on the door real soon. That and we will have 3 more drafts coming(i'd love to see the white sox draft a catcher in the first round). Now someone like Flash would say we should draft more throwers and stop drafting soft tossers, and while im inclineded to agree in princible, i also understand the low risk/reward of drafting soft tossers(#3 starters) league average and medicority is alot easier to live with and trade than busts(kerry wood / mark prior).