Is this the year that the Sox have a 50 homerun hitter?

tonyho7476

50 Homeruns in a season  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will Thome be the first Sox hitter to hit 50 homeruns in a season?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
I don't know if anyone's forgetting exactly how streaky Thome is in the homer category. He's due for one of those ridiculous streaks any day now.

I agree. Im very pleased with his numbers right now. He has always gone through dry spells during the season during his career. Not to mention his age. I think he will still do good and hit in the high 40's and maybe creep in there. This is definately the most protection hes had around him in a lineup in a long time too.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
That would be cool...but I think Dye and Konerko will end up with low 40s. And Crede with 30. Think about that...50, 40, 40, and 30 on one team...and scatter in a couple 20.

crede will have to pick it up to hit 30 (he's on pace for 29)

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
This is definately the most protection hes had around him in a lineup in a long time too.

Ironically, his one 50-HR season came in '02, after the Indians dumped most of their prolific hitters. He had TONS of protection from '94-'01 (Belle, Manny, Justice, Murray, Giles, Sexson, Fryman, Matt Williams, the Alomars, etc.).

I think he'll reach 50 if he stays healthy. As was mentioned earlier, he's due for one of his patented hot streaks (and it might have kicked in if the AS break hadn't come along ... 5 dingers in July). I predict 52.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I think he'll reach 50 if he stays healthy. As was mentioned earlier, he's due for one of his patented hot streaks (and it might have kicked in if the AS break hadn't come along ... 5 dingers in July). I predict 52.

Just remember, Yankee Stadium and Comerica Park have nice short RF porches...

I think he'll reach 50 if he stays healthy. As was mentioned earlier, he's due for one of his patented hot streaks (and it might have kicked in if the AS break hadn't come along ... 5 dingers in July).

Thome has been locked in again since the Pittsburgh series, from what I can tell. He's been hitting homeruns off of everyone, consistently, game after game, and even right off the bench, BOOM! I hope the break didn't screw up his swing, but I doubt that it did.