Garcia/Vazquez for Tom Gordon being discussed

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
I would think if KW trades a starter is almost a lock BMac moves into the rotation. I would think if they did this deal fairly soon, they may call up a guy like Haeger to be the long man in the bullpen. If he could handle it, and if AJ can handle the knuckler fine, if not, a guy like Armas may make sense as a guy they could use in long relief.

I don't see the Sox calling up a knuckleballer to be a relief pitcher.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I don't see the Sox calling up a knuckleballer to be a relief pitcher.

Don't automatically dismiss it. See Wilhelm, Hoyt; Best Relief Pitcher Ever©

(No, I don't think Charlie Haeger is Hoyt Wilhelm; I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with a knuckler in the pen)

Edited by Contreras' Crew

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
You trade Garcia or Vaz and maybe a AAAA(Phillips,Farnsworth) for Flash and Gavin Floyd. You send down McCarthy, have him stretch out his arm in AAA, let Floyd start two or three games, then bring Mac back up, put him in the rotation, and put Floyd were Mac is now.

Do we really need bullpen help, at this stage in the game, before we even know what Hermanson might bring, soooo badly that we are willing to give up a starter right now?

It seems rash to me.

If he spins Garcia for prospects and a reliever, and then deals the prospects along with Fields and Broadway or something for Crawford, that is one thing.

But doing it just for the sake of adding one reliever now? I don't get it...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
Do we really need bullpen help, at this stage in the game, before we even know what Hermanson might bring, soooo badly that we are willing to give up a starter right now?

It seems rash to me.

If he spins Garcia for prospects and a reliever, and then deals the prospects along with Fields and Broadway or something for Crawford, that is one thing.

But doing it just for the sake of adding one reliever now? I don't get it...

Yes, we do. We have no legit RH setup man. That will become a huge issue in the playoffs. When facing Manny, Arod, Jeter, Vlad, etc. we need that '05 Politte to come in and be damn near automatic. White Sox brass know where Hermanson is at. If they are shopping a SP, that means he's a shred of what he was last season.

It would be one thing if it were tough to replace that SP's production, but for us it's not. Our rotation would improve with subtraction and out bullpen would drastically improve with Gordon. It's a very odd situation. One that is against the norm, but it's the way it is.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Not many teams are going to come back against that pen in October...

And maybe just as important...

With our offense, if the Sox are down, there's a good chance we'll be the last one scoring in the game.

Why not? He's one of the smartest ball players we have and I sincerely believe he could adjust anywhere we put him.... He'd kind of be a Ray Durham like leadoff man... then we can move AROW into the 2 hole where he would really thrive because he'd see pitches to hit... Everyone is b****ing about Pods and Vazquez... here is a way to kill two birds with one stone...

Gooch is on pace to K 120 times this year. Add to that, his OBP is worse than Pods. Add to that, that Pods is a better base runner in terms of speed....well we need a more prototypical leadoff hitter if we get a new LFer.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
1st, I can say with confidence that Oz, Coop, and Kenny are putting no faith in Hermanson being effective this season, so you shouldn't either.

2nd, brining in an All-Star bullpen arm would be huge. Right now it's tough for Oz to play the match up game with Mac being the long man and Rikse being your only RH setup man(Cliff is DONE) You bring in Gordon, you have that "lock down" bullpen teams dream of.

From the 7th on, you can play the match up games...

Thornton-Riske-7th

Cotts-Flash-8th

Jenks-9th

Not many teams are going to come back against that pen in October...

Well said! Pin this post for anyone who questions why a trade is necessary.

I am all for trading Vazquez for bullpen help, not so much Garcia. It would be great to move McCarthy back into the rotation where he belongs, but lets say we recieve a high-quality pitcher in return like Gordon. Then Gordon would be taking McCarthy's spot, who's been pretty good out of the pen, andwe're still stuck with Politte, so how much better does it actually make us.

If we were to recieve 2 quality bullpen arms, then we might have something here.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gooch /= a leadoff hitter

It just doesnt fit. AaRow can stay in Philly...if we get a new LFer, he damn better be able to leadoff in the order too.

This is big Xbox thinking here, but if the Sox were able to get Abreu to replace Pods, would you honestly be too worried about a "true" leadoff hitter?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
This is big Xbox thinking here, but if the Sox were able to get Abreu to replace Pods, would you honestly be too worried about a "true" leadoff hitter?

Good speed, reliable stolen bases, very high OBP. I'd lead him off.