Fields and Sweeney not available

DBAHO

You can probably scrap the Linebrink talks then;

But the GM did say that two players at Class AAA Charlotte (Josh Fields and Ryan Sweeney) are not available.

“They can ask,’’ Williams said, “but they can’t have them.’’

Williams particularly gushed over Fields, who ranks among International League leaders in batting average (.327) and also has 24 doubles, 14 home runs and 54 RBI.

“He’s an all-star player,’’ Williams said.

“A minor-league all-star?’’ the Sox’ GM was asked.

“No. Up here,’’ he said.

Fields is an interesting prospect. Selected out of Oklahoma State (where he also was a standout quarterback) in the first round of the 2004 draft, the 23-year-old Fields is a natural third baseman.

That just happens to be Joe Crede’s position, but Williams said Fields has the athletic ability to play either corner outfield position. Crede has blossomed into a star with the Sox, and he’s not eligible for free agency until after the 2008 season.

Jermaine Dye is having an MVP-type season, and the White Sox’ right fielder has a club option for next year that is almost certain to be picked up.

Fields eventually might find a home in left field, which currently is filled by Scott Podsednik. The speedy leadoff man is a weapon when healthy, but there already has been some doubt cast on Podsednik’s future with the Sox due to health and defensive concerns.

As for Sweeney, he can play all three outfield positions. After going 4-for-4 and driving in 4 runs Tuesday for Charlotte, Sweeney hiked his average to .295.

Then Fields should be tried in the OF then, right? He's certainly not going to replace Crede at 3b.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
You can probably scrap the Linebrink talks then;

IMO, a trade for Linebrink would start with Freddy anyway.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 07:20 AM)
Then Fields should be tried in the OF then, right? He's certainly not going to replace Crede at 3b.

IMO, a trade for Linebrink would start with Freddy anyway.

Crede could be dealt similar to what happened to Rowand (although I wouldn't want to see that happen, and I really don't think it will happen).

Here's another snippet from Kenny Williams in the Tribune:

"No one in the American League is interested in helping us," said Williams, estimating there are no more than six or seven teams that might be willing to deal with the Sox.

"So you've effectively reduced it to a handful of teams, so now you have to deal with teams that are in contention. So now you have to give to those teams who need help now. I'm not interested in trading anyone off my major-league club.

"So the talk is about prospects. Well, teams in contention don't want or need prospects because they're trying to win now."

That virtually leaves Williams with the possibility of exploring three- and four-teams deals, "but really, only through the National League."

----So, with no one on the major league roster available, and Sweeney and Fields, the sox must find a fit with the few teams in the NL who must choose between the sox other prospects.

If KW is being a straight shooter with this, none of what he says is a surprise.

He's been looking to add to his major league roster, not take away from it. As for Sweeney and Fields not being available, no surprise there either.

However, guys like Charlie Haeger, Wes Whisler, Ray Liotta, Heath Phillips, etc. should be on their toes.

No big surprises there... Who is really going to want to help the World Champions, who already happen to have the second best record in baseball? The only chance the Sox have is to try to catch a team who decides at the last minute to just dump all of the salary that they can and play for next year. Otherwise the Sox are going to have to way overpay to get a guy they like.

The 06 trade market is going to be another Geoff Blum kind of year.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
However, guys like Charlie Haeger, Wes Whisler, Ray Liotta, Heath Phillips, etc. should be on their toes.

Add in Broadway maybe and see if the Sox minor league pitchers match up with any teams that have bullpen guys available. Philly may.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Add in Broadway maybe and see if the Sox minor league pitchers match up with any teams that have bullpen guys available. Philly may.

Philly and Pittsburgh are probably the 2 teams KW will target.

Philly has Gordon, Rhodes and Cormier, all who have been rumored to be possibly dealt at the deadline, while the Pirates have Torres and Hernandez, although it seems the Yanks may end up with Roberto very, very soon.

Considering the Phillies lack of SP in the minors and in general, that's probably our best chance of a deal, and KW and Gillick have traded before.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Has Fields played in the outfield in Triple A this year? If not, what are they waiting for?

Because if you make a move now, it possibly ruins his trade value a little, and I guess since we don't know for sure if Pods is going to be back or not, the Sox Brass just don't want to make a move yet.

Something could happen contract wise with Joe Crede as well with Bora$$ as his agent.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
Because if you make a move now, it possibly ruins his trade value a little, and I guess since we don't know for sure if Pods is going to be back or not, the Sox Brass just don't want to make a move yet.

Something could happen contract wise with Joe Crede as well with Bora$$ as his agent.

I understand the Bora$$ thing. but why would it ruin his trade value? It's not like he would forget how to play third base if he played some games in the outfield this year to see if he can do it.

If what KW is saying is true, then I have only one thing to say to it:

f***!

Fields has to be, by far, our greatest non-ML trading chip. We have a 3B already that will be here for a while, so he isn't exactly vital to us. I really want him traded for something that can help us a lot.

I'm kind of shocked that KW would annoint Fields a major league all star before he has ever played 1 major league game. I'm also shocked a GM of a team looking to add young players does't want to trade with the White Sox because they are champions. I think you go for the best deal to help your organization regardless of who the trading partner is. If KW is not going to trade Fields, he should move him to the outfield immediately. If he's going to be the LF next season, don't make it doubley hard on him by having him be a rookie learning a new position.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
I'd much rather keep Lummy than Fields to be honest. Sweeney is a guy I do want to keep but I have no problem trading Josh if the price is right. Still, imo this is just Kenny trying to drive up the price of his players.

That's what I'm really hoping it is.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
It's gotten to the point where even if it's true, I pretty much don't believe anything KW says publicly regarding trades or player movement.

Yup. Even if nothing major happens, this sounds like "under the radar" talk to me. If there is someone that KW wants badly enough, I can still see Fields or Sweeney being moved. Either way, if Fields and/or Sweeney were there for the taking, do you really think Kenny would tell the press that?

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
If KW truly thinks that Fields will be a ML All-Star, then he must be thinking that say 2 years from now, Fields winds up in left, Sweeney in right, BA in center. Makes any thoughts about Abreu or Vernon Wells seem unlikely.

I bet that is the plan. Unless Dye keeps playing well, then the Sox would be hard pressed to let him go. But Pods is not long for this team. Who would lead off? Not sure. But that outfield you have proposed there... yea, that's very nice.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
Only thing I need to hear when KW is talking about trades is that laugh and you know somethings up....

I think he learned to control the giggle giveaway. He used to be so easy to read because he couldnt control himself. Are we trading a player, KW "No!" , giggle, smirk, shy smile. Then you knew something was up.