White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Then there should be a window to sign a long term deal then with Soriano. Soriano is a hell of a player and is young, and can play at a high level for a long time. But Bmac for a 2 month rental is a bit high. Prospects I could care less about, bmac actually showed that he could play in the majors.

What makes anyone think Soriano would want to ink a longterm deal with the Sox? My guess is he'd much rather be in New York, and I'm betting Steinbrenner would pay a hell of a lot more for his services than Reinsdorf. That's one reason this would be a terrible move, getting rid of a future top-notch starter for a two month rental. Kenny, don't do it!

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Then there should be a window to sign a long term deal then with Soriano. Soriano is a hell of a player and is young, and can play at a high level for a long time. But Bmac for a 2 month rental is a bit high. Prospects I could care less about, bmac actually showed that he could play in the majors.

Soriano is already 30. I wouldn't call that young.

I agree that B-Mac would be an insanely high price and doesn't make sense for a guy that is only a lock to be on your team for the rest of the year.

Piggybacking on what I heard today, my source conjectured if the White Sox aren't the final resting place for Soriano, he could be moved out of the AL Central for starting pitching or elite bullpen help. He also noted if Soriano was, in fact, to stay with the White Sox, he would imagine Williams would seek a new contract with Soriano so the trading of his cheapest, youngest starting pitching didn't net a three month rent-a-player.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Zito?

Now that's been whispered more times in the past 2 months than I have ever heard a rumor before. That would be interesting.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Mike... I do think Brandon would be right in the middle of the deal.

Sure would be helpful to have that BMac.Com set up right now.. :ph34r:

I would be surprised if both Anderson and McCarthy are in this deal. Scratch that I would be SHOCKED. I definately see Washington wanting more SP, and I could see us giving up Fields and Broadway as well, but not Anderson or Bmac.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
I would be surprised if both Anderson and McCarthy are in this deal. Scratch that I would be SHOCKED. I definately see Washington wanting more SP, and I could see us giving up Fields and Broadway as well, but not Anderson or Bmac.

I was being sarcastic about Anderson. :lolhitting

He does Rake against Lefties which is nice. I can only hope he is flipping him to a team who wants to give us a pitcher.

Of course this "source" could have been part of KW's plan to make detroit give up Zumaya in the deal.

QUOTE(spawn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
What makes anyone think Soriano would want to ink a longterm deal with the Sox? My guess is he'd much rather be in New York, and I'm betting Steinbrenner would pay a hell of a lot more for his services than Reinsdorf. That's one reason this would be a terrible move, getting rid of a future top-notch starter for a two month rental. Kenny, don't do it!

not that it would be the deal maker, but he did say he wants to play for a spanish speaking manager.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)

I think I would seriously cry if both BA and BMac are in a deal. Hell, I'd cry if one of the two is, let alone both. fish that.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Now that's been whispered more times in the past 2 months than I have ever heard a rumor before. That would be interesting.

Uh huh. It certainly would be. Especially when its now been said he is back on the block.

i don't know if i like letting go of bmac, especially the way we have been pitching lately, starting wise that is.

but man this deal would be killer, but do we really need more bats? are we doing this just to keep him away from the tigers? this is why kenny gets paid the big bucks and i am just on a message board. ;)

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
but man this deal would be killer, but do we really need more bats? are we doing this just to keep him away from the tigers? this is why kenny gets paid the big bucks and i am just on a message board. ;)

Maybe the rumor would make the tigers offer even more for Soriano?

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
3 things.

1. Do we have the money to sign Soriano to a long term deal?

2. Would Ozzie actually consider putting Pods in center over BA?

3. If Pods does stay and play center, would Pods, BA and Mack all platoon and play center?

Anderson is better than Pods right now. IF Soriano comes here, Pods has to go.

I would love to have Soriano on the White Sox. He's a great hitter, and will get better in the field. I don't think it would be wise to trade McCarthy for him for 2 months of his services. If KW ships McCarthy out for Soriano, either Soriano signs an extension or KW is going to ship him elsewhere, and keep him away from his closest rivals. McDougal has a lot of potential, and would be a decent piece in the pen if he can stay healthy. If BMac is shipped out, it wouldn't surprise me if next spring the White Sox try Cotts or Thornton as a starter. Hopefully what I heard was wrong or has changed and the SI guy is correct when he says Broadway and Fields. I much rather have KW move those 2 than McCarthy.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Rauch returns to fill Brandon's spot in the pen...

you could be right, Rauch pitched in the 9th with a 6 run lead yesterday after pitching the day before. That seems to me like a scout audition (I know there were Cardinal scouts in the stands)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)

Ding. Ding. Ding.

I always liked you, Rock.

Even if the White Sox aquire Soriano, I would imagine he would not even board the plane to Chicago before being moved elsewhere.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)

This could be the ultimate bluff to get Detroit or Minnesota to make their highest offer. I think KW would rather just keep Soriano off either roster this season.