Mark Buerhle

Harry Chappas

I expressed concern for Buehrle in the begining of the season, as I was wondering how he would handle things if the Sox didn't score runs for him. It is very easy to pitch 8 IP, 2 R ball when your team scores 8 runs, but can you do that when your team scores 3?

I think that, along Buehrle's inability to hold the slightest the lead and just lack of confidence has killed him this year. This is the first time in his career he is going through a slump. Since 2000, he's gone out there and pretty much dominated and was one of the more confident pitchers I've seen. Now, he looks shot out there and needs to get that fire and not rely on his teammates to the point where you hope they score a ton of runs or play perfect baseball.

I think Buehrle will be fine. He just needs to learn that there are times you have to step up and overcome mistakes by your teammates. Although he's pitched good the past few starts (except yesterday), he hasn't really taken over or overcome anything.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1

omfg.............i just dont know where to start...........i will side with mark here.. granted it didnt come out right... but, the point is there...... this team sucks........hes had 3 or 4 crappy starts that he alone can take full blame for.......but the others......well i have to put blame on the s***ty team that stands behind him..........the words he spoke do come from frustration.. if anyone here has ever met mark, they know he strives to make everything perfect........hes just that way.. and when he takes a beating he takes it very personally...........lack of confidence someone mentioned eariler here.. yeah maybe so, but not confidence on his part to do his job... but rather on the part of his teamates.....when you cant count on them theres a problem and in marks case hes not been able to rely on them often enough.........sorry he didnt take his deal?? nope hes not sorry........you guys seem to foreget something here.. this is a kid who wasnt supposed to be anything to begin with.....look at his accomplishments......wanna compare things... you guys bashing on mark is like those who bash on frank for speakin in the press and want him out of here cause he whines, without lookin at all hes done for the team.....granted marks not been here as long but his numbers have been better than those who are here ...........(with the exeption of bart of course).....cut him a bit of slack.......as we cut frank slack......they both are frustrated as hell and at least have the balls to speak out.... along with garland of course.....those we havent heard much from thus far are most of the ones who arent doing s*** to try to turn things around........ ;) mho

How many of you would like to bet that three or four years down the road he will be wearing a red cap and be the National League Cy Young winner?

...and would you also bet that for whatever reason, he won't ever win it as long as he is in Chicago?

I'll drive him!! Because no matter how you look at it, unless he, and the rest of this team, does a complete turn around his value is s***. Might as well send him on his way to greener pastures so he can at least be happy. No way he's happy here. No friggin way.

How many of you would like to bet that three or four years down the road he will be wearing a red cap and be the National League Cy Young winner?

...and would you also bet that for whatever reason, he won't ever win it as long as he is in Chicago?

Mb may be in red and he will be a .500 pitcher

would you be happy here with this s*** team?????? i would be screamin to get me the hell outta here..........

Michelle.. I'd make the best of it. Not mess myself everytime I thought about playing somewhere else.. ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh steff.. thats not fair.... thats actually what hes not thinking of right now...........i figured you of all people would know that........ ;)

oh steff.. thats not fair.... thats actually what hes not thinking of right now...........i figured you of all people would know that........ ;)

I have been thinking that all along. But enough of the excuses (the clubhouse stuff we've been made aware of). As you know Mark does a damn good job or separating himself from that s***. You know he doesn't hang out with the s***head. He's super focused - normally. Maybe it's not moving. But it's something. But you'd be crazy to think that when he gets home, turns on SC, and sees what the Cards are doing that he doesn't occasionally let out a little sigh... :rolleyes:

omfg.............i just dont know where to start...........i will side with mark here.. granted it didnt come out right... but, the point is there...... this team sucks........hes had 3 or 4 crappy starts that he alone can take full blame for.......but the others......well i have to put blame on the s***ty team that stands behind him..........the words he spoke do come from frustration.. if anyone here has ever met mark, they know he strives to make everything perfect........hes just that way.. and when he takes a beating he takes it very personally...........lack of confidence someone mentioned eariler here.. yeah maybe so, but not confidence on his part to do his job... but rather on the part of his teamates.....when you cant count on them theres a problem and in marks case hes not been able to rely on them often enough.........sorry  he didnt take his deal?? nope hes not sorry........you guys seem to foreget something here.. this is a kid who wasnt supposed to be anything to begin with.....look at his accomplishments......wanna compare things... you guys bashing on mark is like those who bash on frank for speakin in the press and want him out of here cause he whines, without lookin at all hes done for the team.....granted marks not been here as long but his numbers have been better than those who are here ...........(with the exeption of bart of course).....cut him a bit of slack.......as we cut frank slack......they both are frustrated as hell and at least have the balls to speak out.... along with garland of course.....those we havent heard much from thus far are most of the ones who arent doing s*** to try to turn things around........ ;)  mho

amen

Guest hotsoxchick1
I have been thinking that all along. But enough of the excuses (the clubhouse stuff we've been made aware of). As you know Mark does a damn good job or separating himself from that s***. You know he doesn't hang out with the s***head. He's super focused - normally. Maybe it's not moving. But it's something. But you'd be crazy to think that when he gets home, turns on SC, and sees what the Cards are doing that he doesn't occasionally let out a little sigh...  :rolleyes:

then i guess you dont know........ :o

I'll drive him!! Because no matter how you look at it, unless he, and the rest of this team, does a complete turn around his value is s***. Might as well send him on his way to greener pastures so he can at least be happy. No way he's happy here. No friggin way.

This must be one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. His value is s***? LO f***ing L. Buehrle could lose 20 games this season and his value will still be higher than anyone on this team with the exception of Magglio and Colon, who will be gone after this season. Give the guy a break and get off his back.

I don't care what he's done in his last 4 starts. The issue is that he's been playing footsie with the Cardinals for the last few seasons and he got exposed as not joking around when he turned down the latest very generous Sox contract offer. If you're going to let everyone know that you'll be on the first plane out of town when given the opportunity, you'd better be one hell of a pitcher or you're going to get the Boobirds. Sorry precious Mark, but a 2-10 record from a guy who wants huge bucks in a city other than Chicago is going to catch flak. You've made your bed, now lie in it, donkey.

This must be one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. His value is s***? LO f***ing L. Buehrle could lose 20 games this season and his value will still be higher than anyone on this team with the exception of Magglio and Colon, who will be gone after this season. Give the guy a break and get off his back.

Ehem.. read again. :bang

Guest hotsoxchick1
I don't care what he's done in his last 4 starts. The issue is that he's been playing footsie with the Cardinals for the last few seasons and he got exposed as not joking around when he turned down the latest very generous Sox contract offer. If you're going to let everyone know that you'll be on the first plane out of town when given the opportunity, you'd better be one hell of a pitcher or you're going to get the Boobirds. Sorry precious Mark, but a 2-10 record from a guy who wants huge bucks in a city other than Chicago is going to catch flak. You've made your bed, now lie in it, donkey.

you are way off base.... that is so not true..................

QUOTE (IlliniBob72 @ Jun 12 2003, 12:10 PM)

you are way off base.... that is so not true..................

How, pray tell, is it not true. If you can point out the part of it that is inaccurate, with decent reasoning, fine. But unless I hear something other than "you are way off base", as far as I know, it's completely true.

I'm not even going to argue about this anymore.

I'm going to support Buehrle regardless.

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

To all his doubters....

:fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou

And how about a :fyou to you for being a supporter?

And :fyou for having an opinion.

How's it feel...??

I'm not even going to argue about this anymore.

I'm going to support Buehrle regardless.

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

To all his doubters....

:fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou

And how about a :fyou to you for being a supporter?

And :fyou for having an opinion.

How's it feel...??

Feels great, thanks.

Ouch.

The whole "St. Louis" thing, not signing the contract extension, and now comments in a post-game interview.

Run support or not, Buehrle sure isn't endearing himself to the fans.

One thing players should remember about Chicago and New York fans - you piss them off and they will ride you like a racehorse. If he thought the booing was bad yesterday, just wait until he pitches against Boston on Monday.

The so-called St. Louis thing is a nothing comment made in jest as a nod to Mom and Dad and is nothing.

The so-called contract - remember that Buehrle, Hahn, and KW had agreed to something and then JR changed it and that is what MB has not signed - had the MB/RH/KW contract been unaltered, MB would have signed.

One mild comment yesterday is nothing. Some Sox fans must have the thinnest skins in the world. We have someone good who has done a lot for us and who has a rough period and we s*** on him.

To be compared to Boston and Yankee fans is not a compliment. I thought we were better than that.

MB is very endearing to me.

CW,

My sister lives in Boston, and my aunt and uncle live in the Bronx. I've been to 4 Red Sox games in the last decade, and 3 Yankees games as well. I also go to about 10 White Sox games a year. Believe me, fans in Chicago are just as vocal and just as loud. Not as obnoxious or vulgar, but just as mean and nasty.

Winning cures all. If the Sox were in first place, no one would give a crap about the comments last night. I just think that the Sox fans have reached a boiling point, and Buehrle's comments popped the top off of the pressure cooker. He's not the whole problem, but his 10 losses are one of the problems.

I only hope that MB can finish the season like John Smoltz did in 1991. He started out 2-10, and finished the year 14-12.