Minnesota Twins Post Mortem Playoff Thread

I suppose that we need a Twins Watch. They're only like 34-8 in their last 42 games.

And allow me to bite the style of a slightly retarded, somewhat troubled young man (mang) that is no longer with us:

I hate Benchwarmerjim so much. Why can't he just go away? I know he hasn't posted, but just the thought of him lurking here pisses me off.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
:wub:

This is a Twins team that could win it all in the playoffs. With Santana and Liriano? Oh baby.

They must be destroyed.

Everybody talks about Liriano and Santana (rightfully so), but has anybody noticed how good Brad Radke has been the last two months?

Radke since May 29th: 5-1 (5 no-decisions), 2.60 era. He's lowered his era from 7.01 to 4.74.

If the Twins get in, they're HUGE favorites IMO.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
A Twins watch? For what? According to most of this board at the beginning of the year the Twins should be the last team on our mind. No offense and only a few good pitchers! Why worry about the Twins, are you stupid?

Well, in my defense, I never, ever dreamed Liriano would be THIS good. Nobody did. But besides that, yeah, I guess I was wrong about them.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
A Twins watch? For what? According to most of this board at the beginning of the year the Twins should be the last team on our mind. No offense and only a few good pitchers! Why worry about the Twins, are you stupid?

No one could have predicted the Twins to be this good, and they have been doing it with a complete bench outfield (no Hunter, Stewart, or Ford), now that is amazing.

Liriano came out of nowhere and was not even starting at the beginning of the year. Who knows what their record would be if he started from the opening series.

Everyone knows the good things about the Twins, but they still have a losing record on the road, a losing Divisional record, a losing record vs LHPs, a losing record vs winning teams in the AL. Also, Santana and Liriano will not win every game they pitch. They are hot, but it will be very difficult for them to keep this current pace.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 06:34 AM)
Also, Santana and Liriano will not win every game they pitch. They are hot, but it will be very difficult for them to keep this current pace.

I don't know what Liriano will do the rest of the way but didn't Hawk say the other night that Santana is 33-3 after the ASB in the last 3 years combined?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
I don't know what Liriano will do the rest of the way but didn't Hawk say the other night that Santana is 33-3 after the ASB in the last 3 years combined?

Contrary to popular belief amoungst Sox fans, Johan Santana was far and away the best player in the second half last year, the guy just kicks it up another notch every year after the break after dominating the first half.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
if you want a scouting report on the next Twins stud pitcher, check out Aaron Gleemans blog post today

Matt Garza

Awesome blog.

Reading the Chicago newspapers following the Twins' sweep of the White Sox was a lot of fun, but I still managed to become annoyed at this excerpt from the Chicago Sun-Times:

"The Twins continued to show they might be the best "worst" team in baseball. Despite few household names, Minnesota has gone 34-8 since June 8 to catch the defending World Series champions."

The idea that the Twins have "few household names" is either absurd or a major mark against the media's coverage of teams outside New York, Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago. Mauer is a former No. 1 overall pick who is leading baseball in batting average, Santana is a former Cy Young winner having another great year, Liriano is a rookie leading MLB with a sub-2.00 ERA after coming into the season as baseball's top pitching prospect, and all three of those guys were All-Stars.

Someone ought to email this dude and tell him NOT to read Joe Cowley articles. The best "worst" team in baseball? How severely effin' retarded is that? Talk about columns that will make you dumber.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
if you want a scouting report on the next Twins stud pitcher, check out Aaron Gleemans blog post today

Matt Garza

As if none of us seen this coming. :bang

Here's some quotes I found from the 2004 Draft, and shortly thereafter:

Official 2005 Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I just don't like drafting guys in the 1st round without a decent fastball. He has a hell of a curve though and seems to paint the zone which is a sign of a fast riser.

Drafting pitchers without a decent fastball should come as no suprise.

It must be written somewhere only Minnesota, Oakland, and Cubs draft pitchers with live arms. These players are always available for these organizations to swoop in and draft.

Over an hour later:

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Twins grab a RHP from Fresno

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Who will undoubtedly turn out to be a bullpen stud. :banghead

It's funny how much Jim trusted the Twins draft pick even before the name was known. Hell, even expecatations of "bullpen stud" will likely be surpassed.

Another thread, a comment I wrote:

KW: I Suck At Amateur Scouting

QUOTE(poorme @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
from today's sun-times

STAY AWAY: Williams was asked his thoughts on this year's draft, which ended Wednesday, and he came to a realization.

''The one thing that I have had to come to terms with is, I [stink] at amateur scouting,'' Williams said. ''I am so much better at evaluating minor-league players and major-league players that it's probably best for me to just get out of the way.''

I've always wondered why our organization is fascinated with developing Felix Diaz clones. Now I know.

Minnesota's 1st selection, on the contrary, was a typical pick: Pitcher with a 92-94 mph fastball, low 80's slider, and a developing curveball, changeup. Garza should be contributing by the time Nathan leaves and Crain takes over the closers role.

Again, slightly off on the projections, but it's as I (as well as others) knew their pick would be destined for domination. They simply know what their doing in Minnesota.

In future seasons, we should hire our advanced scouts to scout Minnesota's scouts. Then, steal their picks right from beneath them. Only way we're developing a Matt Garza, short of blindly picking a "diamond in the rough" from the 30th round.

With Garza/Santana/Liriano in your teams rotation for the next half a decade+, the White Sox are going to need their minors to immediately step up. I'll expect comparable pitchers to those three to be traded for or developed if we're going to have any chance of competiting with Detroit or Minnesota. I don't care how ridiculous that may sound. It needs to be done.

Edited by Flash Tizzle