what is your ideal offseason for the sox

cav38

i always look forward to the winter meetings and the free agent market of the offseason. just for fun (but be realistic) what are your top 5 moves for the sox in the offseason (u can go less than five).when your done, provide the lineup and SP rotation (u can add the bench to if you want). i always like to know what other sox fans feel need to be done, this should be interesting.

my top 5 moves in order:

1. Resign Dye/Iguchi (its a tie)

2. Trade Vazquez so theres room for BMac

3. New leadoff hitter (possibly trade for carl crawford)

4. Sign a DEFENSIVE 4th OFer

5. sign a long reliever/spot starter/mop up guy however u like to say it

Lineup:

LF Carl Crawford

2B Tadahito Iguchi

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

RF Jermaine Dye

3B Joe Crede

C A.J. Pierzynski

CF Brian Anderson

SS Juan Uribe

Im aware Uribe is an FA at seasons end, but i dont think hes worthy of the top 5, but I would like to see him back.

Rotation:

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

McCarthy

Edited by chisox08

Pick up Iguchi's option

Pick up Dye's Option

Pick up Buehrle's option

Trade Garcia or Garland (which ever helps the team more)

Bring back Riske. (as long as he is still pitching fine)

Trade Pods

Sign Latroy Hawkins or get a solid RHP to replace BMac

Get Tejada or maybe Vizquel if the price isn't bad

Sign Gary Matthews Jr.

Give both World Series trophies a nice shine B)

My ideal off-season would be picking up Dye's option than trading him and either Vaz/Garcia whichevr the Astro's want for Oswalt and maybe a bench player or minor leaguer or something. Resign Riske assuming he doesnt tank the rest of this season. Sign Gary Mathews Jr or Mark Derosa... both having great years for Texas.. preferably Mathews. Than trade either Vaz/Garcia whichevr wasnt involved in the Oswalt trade plus Uribe and a prospect for Jimmy Rollins

SP:Mark Buehrle

SP:Roy Oswalt

SP:Jose Contreras

SP:Jon Garland

SP:Brandon McCarthy

bullpen: Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton, Mike MacDougal, David Riske, Neal Cotts, ???

Lineup:

SS: Jimmy Rollins

RF: Mark Derosa/Gary mathews

DH: Jim Thome

1B: Paul Konerko

3B: Joe Crede

C: AJ Pieryznski

2B: Tadahito Iguchi

LF: Josh Fields

CF: Brian Anderson

It probably isnt all that realistic but its what my ideal off-season would consist of. If Derosa and Mathews jr. prove not to be near as good as they are with the bat this season just switch them with Iguchi. But I think both will be pretty good maybe not as great as they have been this season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
My ideal off-season would be picking up Dye's option than trading him and either Vaz/Garcia whichevr the Astro's want for Oswalt and maybe a bench player or minor leaguer or something. Resign Riske assuming he doesnt tank the rest of this season. Sign Gary Mathews Jr or Mark Derosa... both having great years for Texas.. preferably Mathews. Than trade either Vaz/Garcia whichevr wasnt involved in the Oswalt trade plus Uribe and a prospect for Jimmy Rollins

bullpen: Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton, Mike MacDougal, David Riske, Neal Cotts, ???

Lineup:

It probably isnt all that realistic but its what my ideal off-season would consist of. If Derosa and Mathews jr. prove not to be near as good as they are with the bat this season just switch them with Iguchi. But I think both will be pretty good maybe not as great as they have been this season.

I'd have absolutely no problems with that.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)

Lineup:

I'd like that as well.

Jimmy Rollins is a name I haven't seen come up in trade talks.

Since people are seemingly having a lot of fun with this (you guys will love the last one)...

-Send Vazquez and some cash to some other team for prospects.

-Send those prospects acquired along with Josh Fields, Scott Podsednik, and Freddy Garcia to Houston for Willy T (I don't like him very much, but he'd be an okay fourth OFer) and Roy Oswalt.

-Offer Riske arbitration.

-Sign Kerry Wood to an incentive laden deal. :ph34r:

2B Iguchi

LF Sweeney

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

CF Anderson

Bench = Cintron/Gload-Rogo/Stewart/Tavares/Mack

Rotation = Contreras/Oswalt/Buehrle/Garland/McCarthy

Bullpen = Jenks/Thorton/Cotts/MacDougal/Riske-Tracey-Logan/Wood

:)

The only change in the field would be in LF.

For the starting rotation I would insert B-Mac and a FA (Mulder) in place of Garica and Vazquez. Using the trades of Garcia and Vazquez I would acquire a reliever to replace B-Mac.

I like the Crawford idea which would be awesome.

I don't like the Oswalt idea because we have already seen what too many innings can do to a SP.

I'd like to see Kerry Wood on the Sox just because he could go to a team with good coaching. Let's see what Coop can do with him. He seems to have success with "stuff" guys (Thornton, Jenks, Cotts...to an extent).

Crawford would be awesome. Gary Matthews Jr. is a good idea, but how do you know 06 isn't a career year? Crawford is more proven. I don't know his contract situation, but Brian Roberts would be pretty great as well.

Trade either Garcia or Vazquez for prospects and a backup catcher...since I'm not too sure how much longer Sandy wants to go.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
When I read that Wood was done this season, and he wants to come out of the bullpen next season, it sparked my interest. I think a team will throw more money that they probably should, but if he is cheap enough, I would have NO problem with loading up a deal with incentives, and having Wood come out of the pen.

My prediction = Rangers