Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Just want to throw this out there:

I'd only be in favor of a 4 team playoff if a playoff ever arises in the future. Any more and college football will lose all its excitement.

So here's your matchups for the 4 team playoff:

Michigan vs Florida

OSU vs ??????????????

I realize trying to decide the #4 team isn't as quite as important as deciding the #2 team, but my point is that every year you'd more than likely have some problems/debates.

Whether the system is perfect or not (well it's not perfect), one thing is for sure: from week to week, college football is exciting as all hell. You never know what's going to happen, and losses are huge. I mean, if there was an 8 or 16 team playoff, that UCLA win would have meant relatively nothing. USC's in the playoffs anyway. How cool was it to watch that upset today?

I don't know what the solution is, but at least the sport is compelling.

It's exciting and no one is going to argue that but I want to see an actual champion, some team earn it on the field. If we see OSU-Mich and Mich wins we might be looking at a split national championship again and that's just ridiculous.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, i can't stand when people b**** about the BCS and talk about how the computers are 'stupid' and all that garbage. Only 1/3 of the formula is computers, and the mich/fla rankings in those will be a wash basically.

2/3 is humans. Ultimately, they'll decide who plays OSU. If you don't like the BCS, at least put the blame where it should be, and that's with the humans. There's too many ignorant people running around talking about how college football is decided by computers, and that's just wrong.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Why should Michigan get to play OSU again? They already lost. I think it would hurt the rivalry if OSU and UM play again. Bring someone else on, I would of liked to play USC though.

This isn't the salvation army. If you think Florida has a better resume, fine. I am a Michigan fan, but I have no problem with UF going. But don't say they deserve to go because you don't want to see a rematch.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Just want to throw this out there:

I'd only be in favor of a 4 team playoff if a playoff ever arises in the future. Any more and college football will lose all its excitement.

You have to go to 8 teams to appease the BCS conferences who would each be guaranteed a representative.

I'd go with 8 - The 6 BCS conference champions (Which might neccesitate the Big 10 & Pac 10 to come up with a play-in solution) and 2 at larges.

ND would be guaranteed entry by meeting each of two criteria.

1) Ranking in the BCS top 8 (I propose keeping it around)

2) Ranking in the top 2 of the at-large eligible teams which consists of those from non-BCS conferences and non conference Champions from BCS conferences.

Seeded by BCS, it would most likely look something like this in '06..

#1 OSU vs. #15 Wake Forest -----

\

\

-------

/ \

/ \

#4 LSU vs. #5 Louisville ------- \

\

-----------

#3 Florida vs. #8 USC ---------- /

\ /

\ /

-------/

/

/

#2 Mich vs. #10 Oklahoma--------

Notre Dame misses out because they rank behind the two at-large teams (#2 Michigan and #4 LSU)

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
The thing is that Michigan lost by 3 in Columbus. What if the game is in Ann Arbor, Michigan wins, and the tables are turned? A rematch can be justified, but I'm not sure it's the best thing for college football. A new opponent would make sense.

the game wasnt as close as the final score. And apparently playing Michigan in Ann Arbor hasnt made much of a difference the last few years anyway.

Ignoring the sexiness difference between the two teams, Florida clearly has the resume to get in. Ran through the best conference in the country with one loss, beat 9 bowl teams. It's not like anyone has to stretch just so they don't see a rematch, Florida has every right to play in the NC.

I believe if ya throw the two resumes down without names at the top, basing it off of wins, losses, who you played, who you beat, etc, you'll come out with Florida as the pick.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
BTW, i can't stand when people b**** about the BCS and talk about how the computers are 'stupid' and all that garbage. Only 1/3 of the formula is computers, and the mich/fla rankings in those will be a wash basically.

2/3 is humans. Ultimately, they'll decide who plays OSU. If you don't like the BCS, at least put the blame where it should be, and that's with the humans. There's too many ignorant people running around talking about how college football is decided by computers, and that's just wrong.

Exactly. If UF jumps Michigan in the polls, they'll be in.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
This isn't the salvation army. If you think Florida has a better resume, fine. I am a Michigan fan, but I have no problem with UF going. But don't say they deserve to go because you don't want to see a rematch.

MICHIGAN already lost to OSU, get over it. Why do they deserve another shot??

THEY DONT!

Bring someone else on....

GO BUCKS!

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:23 AM)
MICHIGAN already lost to OSU, get over it. Why do they deserve another shot??

THEY DONT!

Bring someone else on....

GO BUCKS!

Me thinks you are fearful that on a nuetral field, the results my somewhat different if they meet again.

I don't really have an issue with the rematch or non-rematch. First of all, for those that have been hiding under a rock, I am a Michigan fan, just to make that clear.

My problem is this. There are several ways one can look at this that can make sense. Michigan is the 2nd best team. Florida had the better schedule. No one wants to see a rematch.

What bothers me is that people will make their decision this week based on what happened yesterday. If those that voted last week and the week before didn't consider these kinds of comparisons then they weren't doing their jobs. If they suddenly change their votes this weekend why are they doing it?

Is it because there were less games to watch so they were able to focus on this particular scenario more?

Is it because they expected USC to keep it from getting hard before and now they actually have to think a little bit?

How much is their decision influenced by the fact that only one of the two teams played this week and they played on a national stage?

Is it fair that he who goes last wins? Compare to who gets the last recruiting visit for an impressionable HS senior.

If people really think Florida is the better team or has earned the shot, then why did the polls not reflect this before yesterday? Based on the system we have, I just think it is unfair to Michigan the way it could unfold. That doesn't mean it is the wrong decision. Part of me isn't for the rematch either. But the other part of me wants the best two teams there because that is what the BCS was designed to give us.

The thing that is funny about the BCS to me is when it was originally designed, it was made to lessen the human element in the equation and use more objective measures (computers, strength of schedule, etc). Because people didn't like those results, the formula is back to 2/3 human polls, which is what it was designed to go away from in the beginning.

Either way, I am okay with what happens today. I just don't like the mentality that today is it okay to start evaluating these teams like this is the first time they are rated. Why even have rankings if what people voted for the past several weeks gets flushed down the toilet in one day when one of the teams did not have a chance to perform.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
Me thinks you are fearful that on a nuetral field, the results my somewhat different if they meet again.

Ha, not even close. Why would it be fair to OSU if UM wins and is crowned the champ? The series is tied 1-1 and the games were played back to back, given the 2 months in between. I just think that if UM wins then they should play another game to break the tie, I know this wont happen but it would only be fair. If UM does play in this game and win I bet the BCS will make a change in the rules that says only those teams who have won their individual conference are eligible to play in the National Championship game.

GO BUCKS!

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
Ha, not even close. Why would it be fair to OSU if UM wins and is crowned the champ? The series is tied 1-1 and the games were played back to back, given the 2 months in between. I just think that if UM wins then they should play another game to break the tie, I know this wont happen but it would only be fair. If UM does play in this game and win I bet the BCS will make a change in the rules that says only those teams who have won their individual conference are eligible to play in the National Championship game.

GO BUCKS!

I understand that feeling completely. I even posted right after the first game that if Michigan gets the rematch and wins, a split NC should be done unless the game is a total blowout (which I don't see happening).

The problem with changing the BCS rules everytime a situation comes up is that none of these rule changes can fit every possible scenario. They continue to be reactive with the BCS formula, yet it is never right because they cannot predict every possible scenario. I just find it funny that the BCS is now closer to what we had before the BCS and farther away from how it was originally designed.

If it's a rematch and Michigan wins, there should not be a split NC. They'll have 40 days to think about how this is THE title game, and the regular season shouldn't matter. All the regular season does is put the 2 best teams in the championship game (presumably). Game should be for all the marbles.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)

GO BUCKS!

It doesn't matter if the series would be tied up 1-1 because that is the championship game. In Super Bowl XXXIV, the Titans and Rams played and in the regular season, the Titans beat the Rams but in the Super Bowl, the Rams beat the Titans. That means the series is tied at 1-1, should they play another game for the tiebreaker? You put the 2 best teams in it and if you think the Florida Gators are the 2nd best team that's ok, but don't say no to Michigan because you don't like them, or don't want to play them again.

Edited by WilliamTell

The Florida Gators took over the No. 2 spot in the final USA Today top 25 coaches' poll, a major hurdle cleared on the SEC champions' way to facing Ohio State in the BCS national championship in Glendale, Ariz.

Florida (12-1) received 1,470 votes -- 26 better than Michigan -- and leaped ahead of the Wolverines after USC's stunning loss to UCLA on Saturday.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Florida is number 2 in the coaches poll, big move. Not good news for UM fans.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
It doesn't matter if the series would be tied up 1-1 because that is the championship game. In Super Bowl XXXIV, the Titans and Rams played and in the regular season, the Titans beat the Rams but in the Super Bowl, the Rams beat the Titans. That means the series is tied at 1-1, should they play another game for the tiebreaker? You put the 2 best teams in it and if you think the Florida Gators are the 2nd best team that's ok, but don't say no to Michigan because you don't like them, or don't want to play them again.

Wait is this the NFL or College Football we are talking about???

Thats right its the NCAA, there are no playoffs.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Florida is number 2 in the coaches poll, big move. Not good news for UM fans.

Wait is this the NFL or College Football we are talking about???

Thats right its the NCAA, there are no playoffs.

I'm just giving you an example where that's happened before. Don't get too defensive about it. I don't care if you think Florida is better, that's fine but if you just don't want Michigan in there because they already played Ohio State that's not as good of a reason.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
Why should the last few years matter into this season?

Just trying to find something to argue? Look at what I was responding to, then post.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)

Funny that you bring up a league where there is a playoff system and try to compare it to the BCS, considering its a completely apples and oranges comparison.

The only argument coming up is, oooo you dont want to play them again. Apparently nobody actually watched the game, as OSU had the game from their first drive, secondly they are 5-1 against UM with tressel as the coach, and we are nails in bowl games. I just dont want to see a split national title, which would happen if UM beat OSu in the BCS title game.

I dont understand everyone saying that UM deserves to even be in this game. They didnt win their conference, they already lost to the team in the game, and FLA won the SEC with the hardest schedule and only lost 1 game in the process. The SEC champion deserves to be in this game, or consideration for this game EVERY year.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
That sucks..... I think UM would of took it too OSU at a neutral site.

Yes, the warmer weather, better field condition and a majority of the fans being OSU fans would definately hurt their offensive production away from the shoe.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I'll be there althought I havent secured my tix as of yet, still waiting on those. The tailgate should be solid.

I am still looking for a ticket. Nice stadium and areas for great tailgating.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Rock you going out there for the game? I get out there Saturday and am playing some golf on Sunday.

Where are you staying at? If I could make a recommendation on golfing go to the Wigwam close to the stadium and all the stars go there. Wigwam is the best course in the valley.