Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
Head to the bars, the joys of alcohol.

You would think thats what most would do but its not true, atleast not last night. Scottsdale was dead lastnight, besides for the Florida fans. I just want to go home, my flight does not leave until 6.

I'd think Meyer has a chance to totally cash in here. He could either get a major NFL deal (not something I'd suggest taking unless his dream is to coach in the NFL) or he could use the NFL teams coming to him to get him a ridiculous contract extension at Florida.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
You would think thats what most would do but its not true, atleast not last night. Scottsdale was dead lastnight, besides for the Florida fans. I just want to go home, my flight does not leave until 6.

Most of our fans havent seen a game like that in quite awhile. Its completely disheartening to see a team that is so good, play so downright terribly. Guess its time to shift to BBall and the bears, and next years team.

Watching the game last night I dont know what the hell OSU was thinking.

Their defense must have watched the Bengals play the Colts because Ive never seen DB's play so far off and watch as Florida ran every play in front of them.

As for the offense they decided that they wanted to prove they could be an SEC team with 5 WR's even after Ginn went down.

Now Im gonna have to hear about the SEC for another year, when this loss was 100% Tressel. Not sure what he was thinking, but some times you just have a really bad day.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
LMAO

Whats so funny? Did Smith's bad game last night make Brady Quinn a better player? Troy Smith by far had the worst game of his career, and spent half the game on his back. OSU was out coached and outplayed and Troy's timing couldnt have been worse. Its fairly obvious that the best QB in the draft is JaMarcus Russell. Not sure how thats hilarious to you? Maybe just need something to distract you from the dismal bball season?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)

Their defense must have watched the Bengals play the Colts because Ive never seen DB's play so far off and watch as Florida ran every play in front of them.

As for the offense they decided that they wanted to prove they could be an SEC team with 5 WR's even after Ginn went down.

Now Im gonna have to hear about the SEC for another year, when this loss was 100% Tressel. Not sure what he was thinking, but some times you just have a really bad day.

Agreed. They forgot how they won the title in 2002 and how they had success this year. They should have run the ball to keep the ball out of UF's hands as much as possible and to rest their defense that obviously didnt know what the hell they were doing. Tressel appeared to get extremely cocky and decided that he could win a shoot out with a team that prefer's that style over anything. Im positive that he learned his lesson after that embarrassment.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)

Dude, a 41-14 ass whoopin cant be ALL Tressel.. Florida was still a better team regardless

Smith proved that his lack of height makes him a total tweener in this league. He is'nt near the passer Quinn is nor the physical specimen that Jamarcus is and I'd be stunned if Troy went in the first round. In fact, I could see many teams looking him as a WR (unfortunately he isn't blazing fast) and I'd have to think he's a late 2nd, maybe even 3rd round pick.

Quinn is probably top 10-15, Jamarcus is #1 overall material (and if the right team is there, Quinn is a top 3-4 pick).

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Dude, a 41-14 ass whoopin cant be ALL Tressel.. Florida was still a better team regardless

No doubt and as I said a lot this year, Florida and LSU were the two best teams in the country and I think they both showed it to some extent.

Dude, a 41-14 ass whoopin cant be ALL Tressel.. Florida was still a better team regardless.

Actually I disagree. I think that OSU had a better team and that if OSU played OSU football that they would of won the game.

OSU let Florida dictate the style of play on both offense and defense.

OSU wanted to show its speed so it lined up in empty set shotgun time and time again. This formation is perhaps the worst formation to play against a speed team as it leaves the QB alone behind the line and makes the d-line not even have to respect the run. The entire game the Florida defense played pass rush on the d-line. How did OSU let that happen? How did the team with 2 RB's who would have started for Florida not make the game dependent on the run?

My belief is that it was pride. Tressel had heard enough about SEC speed and wanted to prove that OSU not only was better, but was faster. The problem was, is that once you get behind in football, especially more than 1 score, your options become very restricted. OSU had to leave the run game and that further played into Florida's hands, making the game even more lopsided.

On the defensive side it was as if OSU had never even watched Leak play. Instead of jamming the dbs and forcing Leak to make deep over the top throws, OSU played a soft zone. This led to the remarkable 8-8 start by Leak in which he had to make almost no difficult throws, most of them being 5 yards or less. Then to add to the problem, by playing dbs back and not jamming at the line Florida was able to run swing passes to Harvey and other players where they had 3-4 yards to before any OSU player was in the area.

Once Ginn went down, OSU needed to recognize that the passing game was going to be deficient and try and use time of possession and their running game to control the tempo.

Meyer called a better game and played to his team strengths. OSU let that happen and never could recover.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
Smith proved that his lack of height makes him a total tweener in this league. He is'nt near the passer Quinn is nor the physical specimen that Jamarcus is and I'd be stunned if Troy went in the first round. In fact, I could see many teams looking him as a WR (unfortunately he isn't blazing fast) and I'd have to think he's a late 2nd, maybe even 3rd round pick.

Quinn is probably top 10-15, Jamarcus is #1 overall material (and if the right team is there, Quinn is a top 3-4 pick).

No doubt and as I said a lot this year, Florida and LSU were the two best teams in the country and I think they both showed it to some extent.

Smith has too good of an arm to be a pure athlete in the NFL. His height may look bad on paper and he did play a horrible game last night, but he has proven to be accurate when his line actually blocks for him, and I see him as a Drew Brees type with better feet IMO. Keep in mind he is only 1 inch shorter than Grossman and has a higher release point than alot of QB's. I dont think it was his height that held him back last night, it was his timing, and his blocking which made him make poor decisions. I would be surprised to see him slip to the 3rd round, especially with Cle's need for QB, but I think his performance last night basically assured that he slips out of the first round.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Doesnt change the fact that Quinn does still suck, but Smith played his worst game of his career on the biggest stage. He really killed any hype he had at that point. Russell is obviously the best QB in the draft, hands down.

They forgot who they are, and totally were outclassed. I havent seen them play that bad in quite awhile. It should be a wake up call to the younger guys in the program.

:lolhitting

:huh:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
Whats so funny? Did Smith's bad game last night make Brady Quinn a better player? Troy Smith by far had the worst game of his career, and spent half the game on his back. OSU was out coached and outplayed and Troy's timing couldnt have been worse.

It's hilarious because you spent the entire season whining about how much Quinn sucks, and how Smith will go before him in the draft without a doubt. Well, you're wrong, and last night was just the exclamation point on the whole thing. So i'll keep laughing.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
It's hilarious because you spent the entire season whining about how much Quinn sucks, and how Smith will go before him in the draft without a doubt. Well, you're wrong, and last night was just the exclamation point on the whole thing. So i'll keep laughing.

I am wrong about the draft, duh. I think I mentioned that several times. I can admit when I am wrong, which is alot different from several other people on this site. Quinn's physical size on its own is assuring him a first round draft slot. Is he the #1 that you and several others proclaimed? Nope, and HE solidified that on his own. All Troy had to do last night was play how he has his entire career, and his team choked and he was the leader of one of the biggest choke jobs in OSU history. He will now have to prove himself at the next level, and I am confident he will.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Smith has too good of an arm to be a pure athlete in the NFL. His height may look bad on paper and he did play a horrible game last night, but he has proven to be accurate when his line actually blocks for him, and I see him as a Drew Brees type with better feet IMO. Keep in mind he is only 1 inch shorter than Grossman and has a higher release point than alot of QB's. I dont think it was his height that held him back last night, it was his timing, and his blocking which made him make poor decisions. I would be surprised to see him slip to the 3rd round, especially with Cle's need for QB, but I think his performance last night basically assured that he slips out of the first round.

Grossman also put up ungodly passing numbers for a couple seasons and had a rocket ship of an arm. And even than he went 24th overall and had the Bears not taken him (although there was speculation the Packers had interest) he probably would have fallen to the 2nd round.

I do think you are right, his arm is good enough but I wouldn't even think of comparing it to that of Grossman's. Brees was a 2nd round pick and took some time and I could buy this comparison a bit, however, Brees was 3 times the passer Brown was at the collegiate level.

I would rather draft Booty than I would Brown.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Grossman also put up ungodly passing numbers for a couple seasons and had a rocket ship of an arm. And even than he went 24th overall and had the Bears not taken him (although there was speculation the Packers had interest) he probably would have fallen to the 2nd round.

I do think you are right, his arm is good enough but I wouldn't even think of comparing it to that of Grossman's. Brees was a 2nd round pick and took some time and I could buy this comparison a bit, however, Brees was 3 times the passer Brown was at the collegiate level.

Someone has the Patriots on their mind. :P

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
Someone has the Patriots on their mind. :P

Except Booty has actually played QB, while Cassel was purely a clipboard holder. But yes if the Bears go down, my focus will be the Patriots and my favorite current QB in the NFL, Tom Brady.

However, I am now predicting a Pats/Bears superbowl. Of course first the Bears got to win a playoff game and than another and than we'll see what happens in the big game.

Did I mention how great Brady is. :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)

Not sure who Brown is. But Smith was somewhat of a late bloomer as far as passing goes. Last season he was almost exclusively thought of as a running QB, which hurt his passing numbers a bit. Not to mention OSU is and always has been a run first team. Brees was in a wide open spread offense that does inflate numbers quite a bit much like the system of Texas Tech. I would put him in the second round mold where it may take some time for him to adjust to the NFL system, but I think he will still be a successful NFL QB based on how quickly he came along and his propensity (except for last night) to play well under pressure.