I can't take this anymore....

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
I'm not burying my head in the sand. I know we haven't played well, but there's a difference between not playing well and not believing we're capable of playing well. I won't go so far as to say you root for them too do bad. I know you're a fan and want them to win, but you do revel in their losses. It gives you a chance to come on here and complain. This guy sucks, that guy sucks, gm sucks, coach sucks. We need to do this or that.... It's like you get to be the GM/Coach except when you're wrong and you were way wrong last year....nobody gives a crap. It's fun, there's no accountablity in what you do. When they're winning you don't have much to say. You might complain about a couple guys that aren't playing well, but overall you don't have much to contribute. I think you're favorite game is one where the Sox suck at almost every facet of the game, but still win. As a fan you still get the win, but with all the suckage you get to come on here and question everything....you live for that stuff. You can't wait to come on here and call someone out.

and to address BigSquirt....

I'm here every single day, whether they win or lose. I never ever call people out. When have I ever responded to someone's post after a loss and said, "I told you so?" You'll notice it's far more normal to see a pessimistic poster get called out by name when he or she was wrong than it is for a negative poster to call out an optimistic one.

I always commend the guys that are doing well. I mention how Thome has turned this team around, how Dye is having an MVP-type season, Anderson's defense is amazing, Uribe carries the team when he's hot, Thornton is unhittable most of the time, MacDougal has nasty stuff and great potential. I constantly praise Iguchi and Ozuna. I've mentioned time and again that I'd be happy with Anderson batting .230 and Uribe getting to .250, and I have mentioned that they met my expectations repeatedly.

The problem that most people seem to have is that I also point out the negative. Things like everything about Pods, the terrible SP's, Dye's lack of range in RF, Uribe's lazy defense, bad pitch selection, and Ozzie's complete denial of the SP's capabilities. And all of that gets focused on rather than the other things.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah if they're 5 games out of the wildcard, what's wrong with saying we're only 5 games out of the wildcard?? As a fan what are you suppose to do, hope for them to lose cause they're 5 back?? You root for them to find that magic and make a run...If they can make the playoffs anything can happen. I mean I know it's not the best position to be in, but it's not out of contention so you cheer for em to win it all. What benefit is there to saying, they have no chance, if mathmatically and realistically they do??

I'm just frustrated to watch a team with a $100M payroll get worse as the season progresses. I spend thousands of dollars each year following this team and expect a little better than what I'm seeing. As a fan I have the right to criticize this team on a message board. When I go to the games I root loudly for them and I always want them to win. I'm not sure how critical statements from fans on a message board are supposed to negatively affect this team. Whether I complain about this team or stick my head in sand, nothing I type on this board will have any affect on the team.

I'm not burying my head in the sand.

Yeah if they're 5 games out of the wildcard, what's wrong with saying we're only 5 games out of the wildcard?? As a fan what are you suppose to do, hope for them to lose cause they're 5 back?? You root for them to find that magic and make a run...If they can make the playoffs anything can happen. I mean I know it's not the best position to be in, but it's not out of contention so you cheer for em to win it all. What benefit is there to saying, they have no chance, if mathmatically and realistically they do??

I think what he meant, was that the Fluffy Clouds (those who only see the bright side) will in a few days, begin saying "were only 5 games out", as if to ignore reality (we shouldnt be chasing wildcard-but shouldve been in 1st place). My comment about the Imbeciles 8 miles north simply took his comment a step further (because the sheep up north will cheer despite being 5 games back with 4 to go)

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Is Kelly's winning percentage better than .586?

I have no idea what Tom Kelly's winning percentage is, but conceding it's less than .586, are you saying that stat means Ozzie is a better manager than TK?

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I have no idea what Tom Kelly's winning percentage is, but conceding it's less than .586, are you saying that stat means Ozzie is a better manager than TK?

I'm saying that it's ridiculous to want to replace a manager who is 20 games over this year, won a World Series last year, and has a .586 career winning percentage. It's beyond ridiculous really.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm saying that it's ridiculous to want to replace a manager who is 20 games over this year, won a World Series last year, and has a .586 career winning percentage. It's beyond ridiculous really.

Let's put it this way...if the 2nd part of those wasn't true...if Ozzie hadn't won that ring last year...games like last night are the kind of games that would have cost him his job, just as stupid decisions by Jerry Manuel cost him his job.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Let's put it this way...if the 2nd part of those wasn't true...if Ozzie hadn't won that ring last year...games like last night are the kind of games that would have cost him his job, just as stupid decisions by Jerry Manuel cost him his job.

Agreed. Also keep in mind that Ozzie has made this same mistake A LOT this year.

If it weren't for the stellar offensive output we received earlier this year in June we would be in real deep s*** now....

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)

So you're going to evaluate Ozzie on a game-by-game basis starting now? Why now and not from the start of the season? They are 20 games + .500.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)

Your response indicates you don't believe Ozzie is a better manager than Tom Kelly.

Also, the fact Ozzie's team is 20 games over .500 doesn't mean TK or any other decent manager wouldn't have this team playing even better.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
So you're going to evaluate Ozzie on a game-by-game basis starting now? Why now and not from the start of the season? They are 20 games + .500.

Like any player, if there's another man who can manage the Sox better, why shouldn't we look to improve the team?