Game Thread 8/8/06 Sox-Yanks

Jake

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really interested to see how the Sox respond to Chien Ming Wang's sinker. While I don't have the stats handy, don't the White Sox have difficulty facing pitchers they have never faced before? Let me know if this is wrong. Although, Wang has struggled away from Yankee Stadium, he has a record of 4-3 and an ERA of 4.99, at home, he has a record 9-1 and an ERA of 2.66.

To add to Yankee momentum, Robinson Cano is said to be returning to the lineup tonight. Cano was batting .325 with an OBP of .353 prior to his injury. Still, in his 4 career AB's facing Freddy, Cano was unable to reach base.

Tonight is going to be very tough for the White Sox. While the White Sox were returning home from Toronto to prepare and play a game against the Angels, the Yankees were flying from Baltimore and resting.

In regards to tonight's starting pitching, I really don't know what to say about Freddy, but it's obvious his velocity has departed, and he hasn't signifanctly changed his delivery to make up for this lack in velocity. Compound this with a manager who believes a bit too much in his starters (or demands too much) and there is a recipe for disaster. Then there is the bullpen. With a collective ERA of 4.33 (currently ranked 19th in the majors), it is understandable for Ozzie to be hesistant to turn the ball over to an inconistent bullpen.

With all these difficulties involving the bullpen, the White Sox still hold the lead in most runs scored at 625. The offense has done it's job this season, it's time for the pitching to catch up.

As a personal note, if it's true Uribe's back is really the cause of his absence, please get well soon Juan.

Edit: sorry for the repeat of Wang's stats Tito

Edited by soxunited

If Cano really is back for the series tonight, we're going to be facing the best lineup in all of baseball. If our pitchers can't make big pitches in clutch situations, we're going to see more 5 and 6 run starts by our starters.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
If Cano really is back for the series tonight, we're going to be facing the best lineup in all of baseball. If our pitchers can't make big pitches in clutch situations, we're going to see more 5 and 6 run starts by our starters.

Interestingly enough, I think it's entirely possible for the Yankees to look at us and say exactly the same thing. Except that their pitchers have been doing what you ask a lot more than ours have.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
Interestingly enough, I think it's entirely possible for the Yankees to look at us and say exactly the same thing. Except that their pitchers have been doing what you ask a lot more than ours have.

I love the mixture of speed, power, and on base ability of the Yankees with Abreu and Cano in their lineup now. I think our offense has been great basically all season, but this Yankees lineup impresses me more than any other team's lineup.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
I love the mixture of speed, power, and on base ability of the Yankees with Abreu and Cano in their lineup now. I think our offense has been great basically all season, but this Yankees lineup impresses me more than any other team's lineup.

$200 million worth of names will do that. If constructed correctly though, I'd still take ours, not even counting the fact that our guys are better defensively. That assumes of course that PODSEDNIK gets a few damn hits and stolen bases some day.

"I am really interested to see how the Sox respond to Chien Ming Wang's sinker. While I don't have the stats handy, don't the White Sox have difficulty facing pitchers they have never faced before? Let me know if this is wrong. Although, Wang has struggled away from Yankee Stadium, he has a record of 4-3 and an ERA of 4.99, at home, he has a record 9-1 and an ERA of 2.66."

The White Sox have problems against pitchers with good changeups. If Wang's sinker is floating, Thome will light him up all night. Just need Pods and Gooch to get on base though. Oh, and Freddy to man up and stop throwing junk all night long and pound some Yankees inside.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
The White Sox have problems against pitchers with good changeups. If Wang's sinker is floating, Thome will light him up all night. Just need Pods and Gooch to get on base though. Oh, and Freddy to man up and stop throwing junk all night long and pound some Yankees inside.

Garcia's game plan was to pound it inside on the Yankees last time, and after two bombs by Jeter and ARod, he had to change his strategy. Their hitters are too patient/strong to try to bust 87 mph fastballs in on their hands.