Game thread Sox(73-50) at Detroit(79-45)

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I still stand by my statement that if we don't make the playoffs, the turning point of this season was Joey Cora sending Iguchi homer on Tuesday night in the 5th inning with 2 outs. Prior to that play, we had our swagger back and were rolling. Immediately after that, Vazquez gave up a 2 run bomb, and we've been playing with no intensity since.

Being a baseball fan for 50 years, I got to agree with this-many seasons have turned on things like that-call it swagger, call it confidence, they have been pressing most of the time since then-

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
I think we'll need a major house cleaning in our starting rotation next year.

It's not happening from within. If we're expecting Broadway to replace any of the current starters we're in trouble.

And don't expect any trades benefiting us. Williams, to both his advantage and disadvantage, has openly stated he doesn't conduct trades to rip-off opposing managers. With this rotation, it's a definite problem -- we'll need someone to drastically overpay and lend us stud pitching prospects.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
So then there were pitchers switching teams that could have helped us. Good job, Kenny. It's depressing to think how much of an overhaul this staff needs for next year.

But yeah, we're locked into these guys for a couple of more years. Awesome!!

Wow! WTF are we gonna do? We thought we were operating from a position of strength. We ain't got SHIIIIIAT!

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
when this team plays to its potential, it's probably the best team in all of baseball. When it doesn't, you get fiascos like tonight. And Sunday. And Friday. Why they don't play more consistent I have not a clue. But it's not one thing.

Yankees, since the deadline, are definitely the most talented team in baseball now. It's fun rooting for them like I did this weekend, where every guy coming to the plate is dangerous.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
when this team plays to its potential, it's probably the best team in all of baseball. When it doesn't, you get fiascos like tonight. And Sunday. And Friday. Why they don't play more consistent I have not a clue. But it's not one thing.

We're 17-22 over our last 39 games. There should be no more talk about potential. We're just not a very good team, period.

If McCarthy doesn't even warm up tonight, I'm going to start thinking that something is going on. He wasn't used in the Minny series, despite the fact that there were plenty of times to do so. He hasn't been used since August 16th.

God bless Kenny, Coop, and Ozzie if they're actually stretching the kid out. God bless 'em.

Did anyone see what type of reaction Rowand got when he came to bat tonight at Wrigley?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
If McCarthy doesn't even warm up tonight, I'm going to start thinking that something is going on. He wasn't used in the Minny series, despite the fact that there were plenty of times to do so. He hasn't been used since August 16th.

God bless Kenny, Coop, and Ozzie if they're actually stretching the kid out. God bless 'em.

Isn't it funny that this comment actually makes me giddy?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)

Keith I think you are giving them too much credit. The 2006 Bmac === 2005 Ross Gload. Ozzie thinks that this rag tag group of guys with 4 plus ERAs is better than anything the kid can give us. I want whatever they are smoking.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus someone needs to ask the question at soxfest, Ozzie and KW what happened to Freddy's velocity.

.....and your answer will probably be along the lines of "who cares about Freddy? He in the National League now. You don't want to throw hard, you not going to pitch for me."

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Didn't you say you weren't worried about the Yankees a couple of weeks ago?

Never said I wasn't "worried" about them. Some were giving them the pennant as soon as they got Abreu. Their pitching is still suspect. But as of "right now" they're the favorites.