Sweeney coming up in September?

beck72

God Damnit, DO NOT START THE KID'S ARBITRATION CLOCK! WE HAVE NO SPOT FOR HIM UNTIL 08! AND HE'LL SPEND MOST OF NEXT YEAR IN THE MINORS ANYWAY!!! ARGH!

The one good bit of news is that might keep Mack out of CF. But the cost of starting Sweeney's arb clock this early is pretty damn high, IMO.

Who cares about his clock? If he can help us win games now we need that.

If Pods continues to suck, can he play lf. Can the guy run?

I want the pennant this year.

The Sox have a real chance to get it done if somehow they get their heads out

of their ass and play ball.

In the past, there aren't a majority of seasons you are still in the race in late

August. We are in the race even if our guys aren't playing like it.

Why can't the Sox play with some urgency and get it done again

this year??? Bring up anybody who can help us and who cares about his

arbitration clock?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
God Damnit, DO NOT START THE KID'S ARBITRATION CLOCK! WE HAVE NO SPOT FOR HIM UNTIL 08! AND HE'LL SPEND MOST OF NEXT YEAR IN THE MINORS ANYWAY!!! ARGH!

The one good bit of news is that might keep Mack out of CF. But the cost of starting Sweeney's arb clock this early is pretty damn high, IMO.

I thought the expansion of the rosters to 40 man for September call-ups did not begin the arbitration clock??? Am I wrong?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
Sweeney better not take time away from Anderson. I really hope we get a good look at Sweeney this season, but in LF.

Sweeney in Lf and BA in CF would improve the sox defense. I've had it watching Pods tiptoe after balls, allowing and teams to take an extra base on him, let alone run on his arm.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
That is what I am hoping. A Platoon of Eric Byrnes and Sweeney in LF would not put a dent in the payroll really at all, and IMO would be much more effective than Pods.

No Byrnes. He's not worth it for under $1 mill let alone his salary

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
No Byrnes. He's not worth it for under $1 mill let alone his salary

He'd easily be our 2nd best overall outfielder this season. He has the type of energy that this team is lacking this season (besides Ozuna).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Heres a question. Where in the lineup would sweeney be most effective? 2-hole?

In a perfect world, 8 or 9. The Sox might need him at 1, so as not to disrupt the other hitters. Yet I don't see Sweeney getting many starts, unless Pods is 0 for the rest of August. More likely Ryan would be a late inning defensive replacement in LF, spot start in CF.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Heres a question. Where in the lineup would sweeney be most effective? 2-hole?

I think that by the end of next year, and maybe even by the beginning of next year, the best 2-hole hitter on our team will be Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
He'd easily be our 2nd best overall outfielder this season. He has the type of energy that this team is lacking this season (besides Ozuna).

Energy is one thing. Talent is another. Byrnes is a hack defensive OFer, that turns routine plays into highlight reel catches. I'm not sure he's better than Ozuna in LF. People rightfully complain about the Sox OF defense. Byrnes won't help.

Who is eligible for arbitration?

A player becomes eligible for arbitration after reaching three years of Major League service (although how this three year term is defined is for smarter folks than me). Additionally, a player who has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and is among the top 17% of players who meet that criterion in total service time is eligible for arbitration.

Protected Player: A player with less than 6 years of Major League service that is not signed to a multi-year contract. If that player has less than 3 years of service or was not eligible for salary arbitration, his contract can get renewed in the first two weeks of March or earlier for at least the minimum major league salary of 327K or the minimum minor league salary of $54,500, if he has at least 1 day of service or 2 years on the 40-man roster. Protected players can also receive split contracts with different salaries for the Majors and Minors. The player would receive the Majors' salary if on the 25-man roster or if on the 15 or 60-day DL. If the player was eligible for salary arb., he can sign a 1-year deal or can sign a multi-year deal. A player is eligible for arbitration if he has 3,4 or 5 years of service. A player who has 2 years of service and is deemed a "Super-Two" by an arbitrator can also be eligible for salary arb.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
When everyone was talking about Iguchi going down to the 6 hole this season, I thought Anderson could work. Obviously that wasn't the case this season, but I think Anderson can/will turn into a solid 2 hole hitter.

I'd love to see Anderson be in the 2 hole in the future especially if he can get that average around .275 for a season with a high OBP.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Energy is one thing. Talent is another. Byrnes is a hack defensive OFer, that turns routine plays into highlight reel catches. I'm not sure he's better than Ozuna in LF. People rightfully complain about the Sox OF defense. Byrnes won't help.

Byres isn't a great defensive player, but he's at least serviceable out there. That's a lot more than you can say about Ozuna and Pods. However, I don't think he'll be as cheap of an option as many people think. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a 2 yr, 9 million dollar contract this offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Byres isn't a great defensive player, but he's at least serviceable out there. That's a lot more than you can say about Ozuna and Pods. However, I don't think he'll be as cheap of an option as many people think. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a 2 yr, 9 million dollar contract this offseason.

The difference in defense is too slight for the money he'd make [$2.2 mill this yr and likely to get more as a FA]. The sox would be better off letting Sweeney progress in LF than spend money on a guy like Byrnes who may hurt the sox w/ his glove more than he'd help hit vs LHP.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
The difference in defense is too slight for the money he'd make [$2.2 mill this yr and likely to get more as a FA]. The sox would be better off letting Sweeney progress in LF than spend money on a guy like Byrnes who may hurt the sox w/ his glove more than he'd help hit vs LHP.

Who's out there? Usually I'd agree with you that it's easy to find that righty platoon outfielder, but judging by this year, it seems like it's impossible to find that type of player. I'm actually coming around to the idea of getting Mathews Jr. to play LF next season (and then move to RF in 2008).

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Who's out there? Usually I'd agree with you that it's easy to find that righty platoon outfielder, but judging by this year, it seems like it's impossible to find that type of player. I'm actually coming around to the idea of getting Mathews Jr. to play LF next season (and then move to RF in 2008).

It depends on what the sox want to do at leadoff. Coco Crisp could be had for Freddy. Or the sox might go for a SS to leadoff--though few fit that bill that teams want to part with.

Am I reading things right, some of you are actually suggesting having Sweeney as our leadoff or #2 hitter at the start of next season.

I hope you guys are planning on having a rebuilding type season cause if your frustrated now you'll be going nuts next year.

Sweeney is fine, but if you are going to do that you better have acquired a SS to be our leadoff hitter and made some substantial changes to the rotation. Following that have both Sweeney/Fields up playing LF and platoon them a bit with them also getting ocassional AB's at DH and maybe even RF/CF, etc. Basically just ease both of them into the majors.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
It depends on what the sox want to do at leadoff. Coco Crisp could be had for Freddy. Or the sox might go for a SS to leadoff--though few fit that bill that teams want to part with.

No way will the Red Sox trade Crisp for Garcia. The Red Sox are going to be in the market to acquire starting pitching this offseason, but they're not going to settle for a medicore pitcher like Garcia has looked this year. Their fans are going nuts regarding their starting pitching, and rumors are that Theo's going to be making a lot of blockbuster moves this offseason (bye bye Manny?).

Hello everyday LF in 2007. This talk wouldn't be happening if that wasn't the plan, as mentioned this has Anderson 2005 written all over it, plus despite the payroll increase, Rick Hahn and KW have said they want to continue to add young (cheap) talent to the team every year, including starters if they are good enough (which with the way he's improved at such an young age in AAA, Sweeney seems good enough).

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
If we're going to have Sweeney in LF and Anderson in CF, I wouldn't mind an offensive upgrade at SS.

I think the front office is thinking along the same lines as you are in that regard. There is a reason we have seen Uribe publicly put down this year, and it's not just because Ozzie is nuts (although that's part of it).