Sweeney coming up in September?

beck72

So I just want to get a grasp on this here.

So far this season Pablo Ozuna has 137 AB's in 61 games. Ryan Sweeney for Charlotte has 421 AB's. That's almost a 3 to 1 ratio of AB's right there.

So my point on this whole issue is this. If you're going to use Ryan Sweeney next season, he should play everyday. If he's going to be in a platoon situation, why not just keep Ozuna, who has hit well this season, let Ryan get much more AB's in Charlotte to continue his development, which will help him immensely.

I think it's more likely Josh Fields would get used everyday over Sweeney at this stage for next season though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 05:28 AM)

So far this season Pablo Ozuna has 137 AB's in 61 games. Ryan Sweeney for Charlotte has 421 AB's. That's almost a 3 to 1 ratio of AB's right there.

So my point on this whole issue is this. If you're going to use Ryan Sweeney next season, he should play everyday. If he's going to be in a platoon situation, why not just keep Ozuna, who has hit well this season, let Ryan get much more AB's in Charlotte to continue his development, which will help him immensely.

I think it's more likely Josh Fields would get used everyday over Sweeney at this stage for next season though.

Pablo is also a righty. IIRC, Sweeney is a lefty. If you run a strictly-platoon situation, the lefty is obviously going to get more AB's, because there are more right handed pitchers.

But yeah, Sweeney should still be in AAA next season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 07:28 AM)

I figure that Fields will be a counter balance until Crede signs a long term deal. The minute we lock up Crede, Fields get dished for pitching. Sweeney makes a better move for LF for next year. He can platoon like Pods did this year. He has a nice swing, and we have enough power on this team already.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
When everyone was talking about Iguchi going down to the 6 hole this season, I thought Anderson could work. Obviously that wasn't the case this season, but I think Anderson can/will turn into a solid 2 hole hitter.

Anderson will never EVER be a 2-hole hitter. He has always struck out too much and his swing is just too long to ever consistently change that. Anderson, at best, is a #6 hitter and that is in a perfect world. More likely he'll spend most of his career around 7 or 8...

That being said, with his energy and his defensive talents playing one of the middle field positions, that would be A-OK with me. A great defensive CF who can hit .250-.260, with 15+ homers, and 15+ steals is something few teams have. In fact, I think Anderson could become a 20/20 guy, but with an inconsistent average and far too many strike outs to be higher in the order.

I love the kid, but he does have limitations...limitations that mean nothing unless one over-projects him.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Anderson will never EVER be a 2-hole hitter. He has always struck out too much and his swing is just too long to ever consistently change that. Anderson, at best, is a #6 hitter and that is in a perfect world. More likely he'll spend most of his career around 7 or 8...

Gooch never strikes out.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Ok, well then the question is, do you think Gooch is a good #2 hole hitter?

Indeed he is. He could also be a terrific hitter in some of the power positions. Iguchi probably could hit about anywhere.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Duh...Read my post. I was referring to Anderson.

You completely missed my point. You think that Anderson won't be a good 2 hitter because he strikes out too much, yet as you say, Iguchi is a good 2 hitter. Fact is, Iguchi strikes out a lot too. I don't see how you are seeing a difference between the two.

(Tony basically covered all of this in his posts too though :P)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
Im not sure if your going by the Brian Anderson of April, but if your looking at the Anderson over the last three months, Im not sure where you would draw your assessment of Anderson striking out TOO much for the two hole.

Iguchi is on pace for 117 K's this season. Yet you claim he is a good 2 hole hitter. So how many K's are you really expecting Anderson to have?

I draw my assessment based on his entire career and the way he bats. This is not to say I don't think Brian is great and I firmly believe he to be a cornerstone to this franchise for the next decade. He brings a lot to the table, but I just happen to believe he is a terrible choice as a 2-hitter.

Iguchi is good because he is the only player on this entire team that grades out as a 2-hitter and compared to the rest of the team he is all we have there. Overall, he is a very good hitter...good enough to hit in the 2-hole, but as I said would probably do well in a power spot. That was why there was some rumblings about trying Uribe in the 2-hole before the season, which we all knew would never come to fruition.

You want to see the perfect, the prototypical 2-hole hitter, I submit Chris Getz at Birmingham. He still needs to grow, but he has all the ingredients to be perfect in this spot...amazing eye, rarely strikes out, good bat handler, great plate discipline, and good speed. Getz is one of my favorite minor league players and while he is probably 2 years away, he is the type of player you look for in the 2-hole (unless you can get Derek Jeter) .

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
You completely missed my point. You think that Anderson won't be a good 2 hitter because he strikes out too much, yet as you say, Iguchi is a good 2 hitter. Fact is, Iguchi strikes out a lot too. I don't see how you are seeing a difference between the two.

(Tony basically covered all of this in his posts too though :P)

Some mis-understanding issues. For this day and time right now...Iguchi is a good 2-hole hitter. For 2, 3 years down the road? I hope we don't have him there. I would rather Gooch be moved down the order.

So right now...Iguchi is still the better 2-hole hitter than Anderson. In two years, who knows? The trouble with Anderson in the 2-hole is I believe he will develop into a solid power hitter and may follow Crede's path. Crede also had a longer swing like Anderson and it took him some time. Crede has become a prime talent.

I typically don't like guys in the 2-hole that are looking at anything >15 homers. I believe Anderson will hit 20+ consistently one day. Id rather have that stick down the order instead of pushing guys over a base, etc. Plus, as I said he will strike out his fair share. That has been a fact throughout his entire career.

I see another 2-hole hitter...I LOVE Chris Getz, but that is a year or two away.

One thing that you want from your top two hitters is the ability to battle. It is Iguchis job to look at a lot of pitches that way the guys behind him can see more pitches. I think the two hole will always have a lot of K's for this reason.

The difference between Gooch and BA is that Gooch usually has a longer at bat, he takes a lot of pitches and battles quite a few off, BA so far has a terrible time with two strikes, I think it may just be the pressure in his rookie season and not wanting to strike out, be K's on some really bad pitches. I think he will correct this in time, but I think he will not ever end up as a 2 hitter, he will probably be a Rowand like number 5 guy when he settles in.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
You want to see the perfect, the prototypical 2-hole hitter, I submit Chris Getz at Birmingham. He still needs to grow, but he has all the ingredients to be perfect in this spot...amazing eye, rarely strikes out, good bat handler, great plate discipline, and good speed. Getz is one of my favorite minor league players and while he is probably 2 years away, he is the type of player you look for in the 2-hole (unless you can get Derek Jeter) .

Yes, we can all look forward to Chris Getz -- the 23 year old in AA who is hitting .258 with an awesome .327 OBP and even better .325 SLG% -- to be our #2 hitter in two years. This is the Pittsburg Pirates that we're hoping he'll be starting for, right?

This is probably the most ridiculous slurping of a minor league player on this board. Getz will be lucky to make it as a bench player, much less make it to the majors. When Getz 'gets' that OBP above .360, then we can talk about him being a potential MLB player. He's not going to hit for power, so that OBP better be in the .360s-.370s, and at this point in time, there's really no indication he can do that.