Thome injury

BFirebird

Thome has been HUGE for us...which is why I'm baffled as to why he's being criticized as if he was one of our starting pitchers...

There's a lot of blame to go around for the Sox woes since the ASB. However, NONE of that blame should go to Thome, Konerko, Crede, Dye or most of the bullpen.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Thome has been HUGE for us...which is why I'm baffled as to why he's being criticized as if he was one of our starting pitchers...

I don't think anyone could possibly critisize him. I do think he's blamed too much for why our offense has stopped being able to execute and get the tough runs. However, that blame should fall solely on Iguchi and Pods because they are the guys that are supposed to be the small ballers.

Pods can't run and its kind of meant Guchi can't do his thing (although he has been very solid). Next year I propose a top of the order of Brian Roberts and Jimmy Rollins. Both are insanely fast and I have no idea how realistic it would be to land either of them (let alone both) but they would give the Sox a top of the order that could create runs when the big bats weren't working and give us the ability to pull out those 1 run games we may not have won last year, while also being able to ocassionally blow a team out of the water (when the bats are in business).

This year its been either us blowing a team out of the water or struggling to get the little things done and I think thats because we have lost the ability to create runs on the paths doing the little things.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)

He is a great hitter. I dont think he is the most effective where he is in the lineup. Thome cannot bat behind Iguchi and in the 3 hole, I htink Dye would be more effective. Dye is better with runners on, hits the ball better for singles, and makes more regular contact. Also you cant just cancel out the #2 and #3 hitters when a LHP is starting that day.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
There's a lot of blame to go around for the Sox woes since the ASB. However, NONE of that blame should go to Thome, Konerko, Crede, Dye or most of the bullpen.

I don't think the crappy play has been anyONE's fault, but Konerko has been sucking it up as of late. Yeah, his numbers are on par, but how many double plays has he hit into during key situations in the last 5 games with the twins and tigers? I can think of at least three crucial opportunities he let pass with a crappy slow roller to SS or 2b.

Hawk is smoking crack. Crede is our MVP thus far. He hits the most clutch shots to either win us games or get us back into games (see last night).

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
I don't think the crappy play has been anyONE's fault, but Konerko has been sucking it up as of late. Yeah, his numbers are on par, but how many double plays has he hit into during key situations in the last 5 games with the twins and tigers? I can think of at least three crucial opportunities he let pass with a crappy slow roller to SS or 2b.

Hawk is smoking crack. Crede is our MVP thus far. He hits the most clutch shots to either win us games or get us back into games (see last night).

Dye is by far our MVP.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
I don't think throwing a rookie into a line-up and having him play a position he doesn't usually play is a good idea in a playoff push. The Sox have some bench guys who would outperform Fields anyway at this point.

Oops, I meant DH. I agree it'd be tough for a rookie, but you don't think he'd have just as good of a chance as Gload who's only seen ~100 at bats this year?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
Dye is by far our MVP.

So long as we agree it's not Jenks! :cheers

Thome out for Twins series

The Associated Press

August 24, 2006, 1:09 PM CDT

DETROIT -- Jim Thome is expected to miss the White Sox's key weekend series with Minnesota because of a strained hamstring.

Thome was hurt during Wednesday night's win in Detroit and was not in the lineup for Thursday afternoon's series finale.

"It's about the same as it was last night," said Thome, who had ice and electrical stimulation on his leg before Thursday's game. "Hopefully, it will only be a few days."

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said the team will wait several days before considering putting Thome on the disabled list. Thome is hitting .294 with 36 homers and 91 RBIs.

"We can play without him for three or four days -- we've done it before -- and then we can bring up some kids on Sept. 1," he said. "I don't think we are worrying about the DL with him right now. This happened in spring training, and he came back fast."

Linkity

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)

Paulie has been money this year, consistently. I think hes trying to do too much and pick up the slack, which ALWAYS gets him in bad habits. Its Paulie trying too hard, thats all

Seeing criticism of Thome and Dye (a double play waiting to happen?) make me

think the dreaded disease has hit a lot of Sox fans.

WE ARE SPOILED.

Thome is getting criticised more than Anderson.

Amazing.

I haven't been able to get back to Chicago to see any games in person, but

I am hoping the Cell hasn't had this spoiled attitude.

From what I can tell on TV the crowds have been loud and not as

crazed as some on this board.

Some players do not deserve ANY criticism in my book and Dye, Konerko, Thome and

Crede are 4 of those. Perhaps Bobby also.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)

WE ARE SPOILED.

Amazing.

Some players do not deserve ANY criticism in my book and Dye, Konerko, Thome and

Don't worry. Most of the folks at the cell don't post on MB's so they are more forgiving in person watching the game. And thank God for that. I would have been arrested for attempted murder for trying to squeeze the living s*** out of someone if they were complaining like folks do here. :ph34r:

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)

WE ARE SPOILED.

Amazing.

How is Thome being criticized more than Anderson? Drama queen much? Thome is one of the best power hitters in the game. He just isnt in the right spot in the lineup for this team. Our 1, 2, 3 hitters all cant hit LHP for s***. Dye would be more effective in that spot. It will take Thome being out a few games for Ozzie to realize this.

I hate to see anyone get hurt, but I think this is a good thing for the White Sox. The lineup is definitely weaker, but maybe this will make the White Sox manufacture runs. One less home run hitter to rely on for a couple of days. Long term, we NEED Thome, but to break out of this mini-slump, this may change the mindset of the White Sox before he comes back...

...and yes, I know Thome being out doesn't change the fact that some of our pitchers are strug-a-ling.