Official High School Football Thread!!!

Brian

Chicago Ag is NOT selective enrollment, but it is a very good magnet school.

Lindblom is a great school; it's selective enrollment. Brooks is selective enrollment too and pretty good. King is selective enrollment...it's ok.

Curie is magnet and has a great IB program.. Kenwood is ok for a neighborhood school, I guess. That's probably it on the South Side...

I'm a product of Catholic schools from K through 12th (and have a degree from DePaul), but as I've begun to look into high schools for my 12-year-old brother who's in a Catholic elementary school, the cost is just insane. My dream is that he can test into a Lindblom or other good selective enrollment or Curie IB program where he can get a better academic education without the ridiculous cost of a Catholic school, but I'm prepared to pay a good chunk of tuition at D or Rita if necessary because he's not setting foot in a neighborhood school on the South Side of Chicago. Also, I don't trust any charter schools...only 2 or 3 decent ones in the entire city.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)
I live in Mt Greenwood.

EP is actually better than it was

MoPo is not an option

Ag School is select enrollment

I have one at Rice and two in catholic grammar school. It is worth it thus far as the education is pretty good. My son did get $3K off for being a bright kid. The community involvement is what makes these schools and neighborhoods thrive. I really like where I live compared to when i lived in the south suburbs. I have always lived in Chicago and like it.

They converted the tennis court to parking and some of the front entrance greenery is parking now as well.

Be weary of Brother Rice until you see how Loyola goes.

The starting QB for Rice and the starting QB for Marist both played in the MHR backfield four years ago....Rice kid was the QB.

I'm going braindead. What is MHR?

I grew up on 103rd and Homan. I was doing a google earth type search and i followed Homan all the way down to 118th street and the Mt Greenwood Little League fields. However one video made it look like the fields were gone. Are u familiar with Mt Greenwood Little League? Are those old fields still up on about 118th and Homan? thx.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:43 AM)
I'm going braindead. What is MHR?

I grew up on 103rd and Homan. I was doing a google earth type search and i followed Homan all the way down to 118th street and the Mt Greenwood Little League fields. However one video made it look like the fields were gone. Are u familiar with Mt Greenwood Little League? Are those old fields still up on about 118th and Homan? thx.

Possibly Most Holy Redeemer? It's a school near that area.

The Ag School is not open to all Mt Greenwood families. While it is an option not all can attend. I am not certain what that makes it but I know it is a good school but all of Mt greenwood can not simply enroll there as they can with Cassell and Mt Greenwood School.

MHR is Most Holy Redeemer

The fields at 118th and Homan....Merionette Park? Mt Greenwood baseball was swallowed up by Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park and Merrionette Park. They are trying to get something going but travel baseball and those neighboring leagues kill them.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
Downers Grove North football is taking it back to '04 and bringing home a state championship this year. Book it.

They'll be lucky to make the playoffs. They'll probably be 2-4 heading into a winnable final 3 games. That program has been way down the past couple years.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)
They'll be lucky to make the playoffs. They'll probably be 2-4 heading into a winnable final 3 games. That program has been way down the past couple years.

Yeah, you're right :lol: I was joking. Our coach (who happens to be my history teacher) is running such an outdated offense and is too stubborn to change it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
Maine South already has two losses including a manhandling by Loyola

I forgot about that already. Shows how much I am following this season.

I was probably thinking undefeated in conference since MS has run of 70 straight in CSL

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)
Yeah, you're right :lol: I was joking. Our coach (who happens to be my history teacher) is running such an outdated offense and is too stubborn to change it.

DGN has run the option for like 30 years. If they didn't change it for David Edwards the last 4 years, they aren't changing it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
DGN has run the option for like 30 years. If they didn't change it for David Edwards the last 4 years, they aren't changing it.

Yeah, I know they aren't. The team doesn't like it though. Even Edwards (my neighbor, told me this directly) grew tired of it/our coach's playcalling last season.

Brother Rice back on track by pounding St. Ed's in a gimme game. Still don't think the spread no huddle hurry offense with four to five receivers at a time is the answer in sports. Gimme my best athletes on defense and run a more 'traditional' run oriented high school offense with maybe 15 passes a game max. 10 to 15. Defense wins in high school. Great defense.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
Brother Rice back on track by pounding St. Ed's in a gimme game. Still don't think the spread no huddle hurry offense with four to five receivers at a time is the answer in sports. Gimme my best athletes on defense and run a more 'traditional' run oriented high school offense with maybe 15 passes a game max. 10 to 15. Defense wins in high school. Great defense.

St. Francis was ranked. Was not a gimme game. Rice has to have one of the more impressive resumes right now, even with the pounding by Loyola.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
St. Francis was ranked. Was not a gimme game. Rice has to have one of the more impressive resumes right now, even with the pounding by Loyola.

Nice. I figured St. Ed's sucked. Good to hear. I watched the Loyola thrashing though and I don't see how Bro Rice can improve enough to compete against team(s) like that. Loyola was so much better. Maybe Rice just had a bad day. I know these are just high school kids.

I feel like I'm talking to myself but high school sports are big in Kansas where I've lived a while so I've tended to follow Brother Rice in football and basketball and have an interest. I still want to come back and go to a game on the south side sometime.

I see Bro Rice outscored St. Laurence in another no huddle offense fest. I think it was 51-35. I could have sworn Rice's good back got hurt on the last series of the game, but the announcers didn't say who it was that went down on highschoolcube.com.

Rice is 4-1 but I'm assuming Rice isn't a contender for anything significant courtesy of the 28-0 Loyola thrashing. I think Rice plays Mt. Carmel this week so another tough game. I remember back in the day St. Laurence was pretty good in football, but they kind of reek now.

I also saw Marist lost to Benet Academy. Does Marist suck this season? Rebuilding or ? Benet is 4-1 but again I don't think that team is headed for anything significant.

GO SOX!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
I feel like I'm talking to myself but high school sports are big in Kansas where I've lived a while so I've tended to follow Brother Rice in football and basketball and have an interest. I still want to come back and go to a game on the south side sometime.

I see Bro Rice outscored St. Laurence in another no huddle offense fest. I think it was 51-35. I could have sworn Rice's good back got hurt on the last series of the game, but the announcers didn't say who it was that went down on highschoolcube.com.

Rice is 4-1 but I'm assuming Rice isn't a contender for anything significant courtesy of the 28-0 Loyola thrashing. I think Rice plays Mt. Carmel this week so another tough game. I remember back in the day St. Laurence was pretty good in football, but they kind of reek now.

I also saw Marist lost to Benet Academy. Does Marist suck this season? Rebuilding or ? Benet is 4-1 but again I don't think that team is headed for anything significant.

GO SOX!

Marist and Rice are similar in that they will get good classes now and again but are not strong enough to win in 8A. Marist may end up 5-4 and open 8A playoffs at Rice (if they win out) or HF...who will destroy them

Rice and MC this week could be a blow out either way or close. Rice has not looked good the last two weeks against lower class teams but each have talent.

Loyola is in a class all by themselves right now.

St Laurence revamped their football program and are getting better.