Sox fall to Twins again

shoota

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Did anyone else catch Hawk insinuating that the White Sox bullpen is equal to Minnesota. I believe it was right before that same bullpen s*** themselves in the 6th. What an asshole.

On paper you could possibly argue that. But looking at the performances in real life, and how guys like Cotts have gone backwards over the past month, unfortunately it's not the case.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 03:45 AM)
Please no one blame the fan. Hell, he at least tried to help us win. That's more than I can say about quite a few of the guys who played tonight.

You are correct. Plus to answer the post title and question about "what's new?"

I say to you the day is new. I will be watching on WGN and hoping for some fire and a good approach against Santana.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
Ryan Sweeney: .348 OBP, .448 SLG, .796 OPS

And that is in an extreme hitter's park. If he can't even manage to be an above average hitter in AAA in a hitter's park, what makes you think he is ready to do anything but fail in the majors? Sure, call him up, but don't play him unless it is mop-up time. Podsednik is beyond awful. Mack, Gload and Ozuna are all better in LF. And each would be better than the not-ready-for-the-majors Ryan Sweeney.

How is his batting line of .296/.351/.453 below average? Quoting The Cheat here for a second:

Entering the night, he was 7th in the IL in OPS against RHP. 3 of the guys ahead of him are non-prospects, the other three were Elijah Dukes (who knows what's going to happen to him), Delmon Young (probably the best prospect in baseball) and Chris Denorfia (who is a little old, but still a spec)

I'm also looking at the improvement that Sweeney has shown as the season has progressed. His OPS has risen and gotten better month-to-month. The last two months, he's posted OPS' of .857 and .870.

I don't know how much of an improvement over Podsednik RS would be. I'd make a move like this more because I'd want to try and provide a spark to this team. But you can't deny that he'd be a defensive upgrade over any of your options, and I don't think he'd hit worse than Pods.

At this point, though, I just want Podsednik gone. I'd love to see Ozzie use a three-headed monster of Gload/Mack/Ozuna in LF, but I don't think he has the guts to do it.

Edited by CWSGuy406

I talked with someone who saw Sweeney play last night, and even though he said both of his doubles should have been errors, he did say that Sweeney should definitely be playing instead of Pods right now. He said Sweeney made a great running catch on a tough play in the outfield. His reviews of Fields weren't nearly as good though.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
Did Ozzie dive across the plate for a ball clearly outside and poke a three-run homer for Minnesota? Did he hit the hanging slider from MacDougal when the best the Twins could do against Mac's fastball were bleeders back up the middle?

Jesus, shut up already and credit this loss to absolute lack of luck.

So is it luck every time Hunter beats you?

Maybe tonight he can run into AJ like he ran into your catcher a few years back, and at that point there is no turning back!

So it is luck when the Twins win, but skill when you win? You will need luck tonight to beat our ACE. I'm not saying that it is impossible, I am saying you will be lucky if you do!

Go Twins!

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 06:45 AM)
Did anyone else catch Hawk insinuating that the White Sox bullpen is equal to Minnesota. I believe it was right before that same bullpen s*** themselves in the 6th. What an asshole.

At least you recognize!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I talked with someone who saw Sweeney play last night, and even though he said both of his doubles should have been errors, he did say that Sweeney should definitely be playing instead of Pods right now. He said Sweeney made a great running catch on a tough play in the outfield. His reviews of Fields weren't nearly as good though.

The one to Young definitely wasn't a double. He Ole'd it on a hard hit ball that would have landed against most RFers.

Your source is inside the D-rays org, right? We're getting similar info, though I suspect from differing outlets.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
The one to Young definitely wasn't a double. He Ole'd it on a hard hit ball that would have landed against most RFers.

Your source is inside the D-rays org, right? We're getting similar info, though I suspect from differing outlets.

Yes, he's with the DRays.

QUOTE(KFran @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
So is it luck every time Hunter beats you?

Maybe tonight he can run into AJ like he ran into your catcher a few years back, and at that point there is no turning back!

So it is luck when the Twins win, but skill when you win? You will need luck tonight to beat our ACE. I'm not saying that it is impossible, I am saying you will be lucky if you do!

Go Twins!

well, while we're talking smack, I guess a World Series beats division titles...... :huh what do you think?

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
well, while we're talking smack, I guess a World Series beats division titles...... :huh what do you think?

THat was last year, this is this year....

I perfer to live in the present not the past, this is why I haven't brought up when we had all the division titles....