AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

greasywheels121

Keeping with my 'only positives' from SSS...

-Give it up for the starting pitching in this series, specifically Vazquez and Contreras. Saved our semi-depleted bullpen, and were absolutely dominant against a pretty good lineup.

-I really hate doing and saying something like this, especially considering I'm way more stats oriented than 'intangible' oriented, but -- could Ozzie's pre-game speech be his best personal move of the year?

-Great to see Hermy back on the mound. I doubt he helps us a whole lot down the stretch, other than some mopup innings like this, but it brings back some good memories seeing him on the mound.

If this is the Jose we're going to get down the stretch, we now have four starters doing what they're supposed to do. Obviously, you can't seem to get to confident with any of our starters other than Garland, but who knows? This rotation really hasn't had an even good run this whole season -- if they bring a great run out now, it'd certainly give this team a great shot at the postseason (obviously).

BTW -- who are we rooting for in the Tigers/Twins series? I think I'd rather have the team who wins the first game sweep the series, but really, any outcome will be good for the Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
I'm rooting for the Tigers to sweep the Twins.

Very nice win, I think we all needed it. We were the better team this series, it's too bad the results didn't reflect that.

Completely agree, a Tigers sweep would be huge especially if the Sox can take care of business Vs the Indians. If the Sox lay an egg against the Indians and the Tigers sweep the Twins, the Sox are still right there in the Wild Card race. If the Sox sweep the Indians to go along with a Tigers sweep of the Twins, the Sox are looking at a 3 game (in the L column) buffer on a playoff spot. There's way more upside to a Tiger sweep than to a Twins sweep.

Kinda agree with that, but as of right now, I want a Twins sweep. Tigers really dont scare me right now, and with a good run by the Sox, I think the Tigers could be on the outside looking in...

I want a Twins sweep coupled with a Sox sweep of Cleveland cause we'd be right back in the division hunt.

I want the division title.

We are defending World Champions. I wanna go for the crown.

This reminds me of the Twins series at the Cell. A couple of close losses and then a blowout to end the series. I don't think this team has turned a corner, and I still expect inconsistency down the stretch. Twins and the Tigers are playing poorly, though, so maybe we can sneak in.

A great performance by Jose tonight. I didn't think he was injured, just out of whack, and I believe this proves it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Completely agree, a Tigers sweep would be huge especially if the Sox can take care of business Vs the Indians. If the Sox lay an egg against the Indians and the Tigers sweep the Twins, the Sox are still right there in the Wild Card race. If the Sox sweep the Indians to go along with a Tigers sweep of the Twins, the Sox are looking at a 3 game (in the L column) buffer on a playoff spot. There's way more upside to a Tiger sweep than to a Twins sweep.

That's the way I'm seeing it. Say the Twins sweep and we end up splitting with Cleveland. That puts us at 3 back of both teams... not good.

There were quite a few things I enjoyed during last night's game.

1. Pods not hitting lead off. Has Ozzie finally seen the light? Don't bet the season on Pods turning it around. Put your faith, instead, in the team. We have guys who can perform up top for a month. Use them.

2. Contreras cruising. We have to have Jose go on another win streak to have a chance.

3. Dustin Hermanson! Boy it was nice to see him on the mound again. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy ended up helping us in some key moments this month.

4. Thome's 4 for 4. He had some easy pickings, but he didn't miss them.

5. JD's catch in RF. JD's a gamer. Sore back and all, he didn't hesitate to dive and catch a ball that completely extinguished any hope Boston might come back. His bomb over the monster was pretty good too. Nice to outplay Big Papi in Boston.

6. Detroit lost, and Minnesota lost a late lead to a team they completely owned. The herky-jerky rookie reliever Neshak got tagged for back-to-back dingers.

Let's make this the start of a beautiful winning streak.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
I don't think this team has turned a corner

I do, and I think it started before last night. With the exception of Freddy's start in KC, the starting rotation is, as Coop pointed out this week, coming together. It easily could've been back to back CG in Boston.

Like Konerko said, the offense feeds off those strong starts. Sox have a tough test ahead with no breaks in the schedule. Cleveland is playing good and the Angels are putting together a run and we all know what the A's are doing. Even Seattle is battling.

I think we're in for a good run to the finish.