Should 9-11 be a national holiday

southsider2k5

Is it time to make September 11th a national holiday?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no...

• Yes
    • No

I don't think so. Designating it as a special day would be the first step to trivilize it. I like the spontaneous remembrances, the community events run by volunteers, etc.

Tonight, I will be at a small event hosted by the Boy Scouts. I don't need the atmosphere of "do we get Terrorist Day off?"

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
A "holiday"... poor description, IMO.

National Day of Mourning, perhaps.

As a country we have bastardized the work "holiday" anyway, when using it to describe things like "sweetest day" anyways. The word derives from "holy day", which has obvious religious implications, so yeah, a national day of mourning would be a more accurate discription, but we do have somber holidays in this country like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, so it could fit in with how we use it now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
As a country we have bastardized the work "holiday" anyway, when using it to describe things like "sweetest day" anyways. The word derives from "holy day", which has obvious religious implications, so yeah, a national day of mourning would be a more accurate discription, but we do have somber holidays in this country like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, so it could fit in with how we use it now.

I don't think it fits in at all. Memorial Day and Vet's Day "celebrate" something so very far from what happened on 9-11 they are not even in the same universe, IMO.

I agree that calling it a holiday trivializes what it means to society, but I dont have a problem with a day of remembrence that doesnt involve everyone getting a day off. There are plenty of holidays that people get to take a day off that remember wars and independence, we dont need another one.

I don't believe celebrate and holiday are mutually required. Christmas is a holiday, but not every American celebrates that day. Oops, bad example. I understand what Steff is saying, and I agree it seems like a strange set of words. Pehaps the question is better stated, should 9.11 have an official designation on the Federal calendar? Maybe we need a new category.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
I agree that calling it a holiday trivializes what it means to society, but I dont have a problem with a day of remembrence that doesnt involve everyone getting a day off. There are plenty of holidays that people get to take a day off that remember wars and independence, we dont need another one.

Agree regarding the day off. Not necessary. I think what took place this morning and what has been done the past 4 years is appropriate.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
It should be remembered, but it shouldn't become a holiday for the same reasons December 7th isn't one.

That was one of the interesting points people made both pro and con. Even Dec 7, 1941 was an attack on a military instalation. IIRC, the last time civilian interests were targeted in the US on this scale (obviously WTC93 happened, but was no where near this size) was the Civil War, and the War of 1812 if you look for a truely forgein enemy.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
Isn't 9-11 already informally referrred to as Patriot Day. I've seen calendars that reference it that way, anyway.

Linkity

As we remember September 11, 2001, we reaffirm the vows made in the earliest hours of our grief and anger. As liberty's home and defender, America will not tire, will not falter, and will not fail in fighting for the safety and security of the American people and a world free from terrorism. We will continue to bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to them. This Patriot Day, we hold steady to this task.

By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the Congress has designated September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2003, as Patriot Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services and candlelight vigils. I also call upon the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff on Patriot Day. In addition, I call upon all Americans to display the flag at half-staff from their homes on that day and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent victims who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 07:36 AM)
It should be remembered, but it shouldn't become a holiday for the same reasons December 7th isn't one.

I believe you are correct.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
That was one of the interesting points people made both pro and con. Even Dec 7, 1941 was an attack on a military instalation. IIRC, the last time civilian interests were targeted in the US on this scale (obviously WTC93 happened, but was no where near this size) was the Civil War, and the War of 1812 if you look for a truely forgein enemy.

General Pancho Villa and a renegade band of the Mexican Army raided and briefly laid siege to a town in New Mexico in 1916.

1944, Japanese forces occupied 4 Aleutian Islands in Alaska, but they were virtually uninhabited.

I don't believe that either resulted in civilian deaths on the scale of 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, though.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
General Pancho Villa and a renegade band of the Mexican Army raided and briefly laid siege to a town in New Mexico in 1916.

1944, Japanese forces occupied 4 Aleutian Islands in Alaska, but they were virtually uninhabited.

I don't believe that either resulted in civilian deaths on the scale of 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, though.

In the middle part of WWII, the Japanese deployed thousands of "Balloon bombs", air balloons launched from Japan carrying explosives and inciendiary bombs, with the hopes of starting forest fires in the west. They failed, in part because they were launched outside of the fire season. They did wind up killing one family in Oregon though.

I don't think it should be a holiday. In fact, I think there is something almost beautiful about the country continuing to carry on and keep on track on the anniversary of such a tragedy.

On a more cynical note, it will be interesting to see in 60 years how much people remember September 11th. My hunch is that much like previous dates that had a lot of history importance (V-E Day, Pearl Harbor, Normandy, Kennedy's assasination), it will fade into the collective unconcious and really only be mentioned in passing at the end of news shows.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
I don't think it should be a holiday. In fact, I think there is something almost beautiful about the country continuing to carry on and keep on track on the anniversary of such a tragedy.

On a more cynical note, it will be interesting to see in 60 years how much people remember September 11th. My hunch is that much like previous dates that had a lot of history importance (V-E Day, Pearl Harbor, Normandy, Kennedy's assasination), it will fade into the collective unconcious and really only be mentioned in passing at the end of news shows.

In 60 years, I'll be dead, or if still alive, I'll not give a s*** :P

Seriously, I doubt it will take that long. I hope that it's because of extended peace and prosperity, not because it is dwarfed by another event.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
In the middle part of WWII, the Japanese deployed thousands of "Balloon bombs", air balloons launched from Japan carrying explosives and inciendiary bombs, with the hopes of starting forest fires in the west. They failed, in part because they were launched outside of the fire season. They did wind up killing one family in Oregon though.

In addition to at least one attempted-kamikaze plane. A pilot managed to reach the West Coast and drop one incindiery bomb, before ditching in the ocean and surviving. That pilot is now a US citizen. I love that story.

But not to derail the topic. No holiday needed. What we are doing now, as with 12/7, is appropriate I think.

Interesting. To be honest, there is a lot more support for a holiday down here in the financial district, but that is probably due to how many people died in our industry, and those related to it. I feel like almost everyone else in the fact that it should be remembered and commemorated, but not a national holiday. Plus the factor that no one else has mentioned, and that I fully believe there will be more 9-11 style attacks in the future, and I don't think we can stop the world for everyone. The whole point is to not let our lives be disrupted, not to do them the favor and stop living life because of the terrorists.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
A "holiday"... poor description, IMO.

National Day of Mourning, perhaps. Which is what, IMO, is done every year already.

Thats what I was thinking. I voted yes due to lack of options but I think it should be more of a rememberance of the fallen. I associate holidays more with cheer and celebrating. I do think it should be nationally recognized and schools and most jobs should have off to be with families and what not. It would be one of the most effective days of the year for family because I dont think anyone alive 5 years ago will ever forget what happened whereas something like Memorial day gets confused with a long weekend.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)

I think its a little different because, A. its called by the date it happened and B. it happened when there were no military conflicts we were involved in and in a time of greater technology and the overall severity of how it was accomplished. It was a complete act of terror.

I searched "Patriot Day Sale" in Google.

And came up with this.

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/patpatdy.html

And this.

http://www.cellphone-store.com/patriots-da...pons-deals.html

Don't forget your Mickey Mouse Patriot Day Pin!

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage...ection_Id=13826

Get your patriotic embroidered shirt at 20% off this Patriot Day!

http://www.embroidery.com/sales.asp?sid=&a...&shopstop=1

In Youngstown Ohio, if you buy jewelry at the Southern Park Mall today, don't forget your free Patriot Day American Flag pin!

http://www.simon.com/mall/event_details.as...0&EID=50591

Let's not get confused, there is also a Patriots Day in the northeast

Patriots' Day (sometimes spelled Patriot's Day or without the apostrophe) is a civic holiday in the U.S. states of Massachusetts and Maine, and a public school observance day in Wisconsin. Traditionally it was observed on April 19, in honor of Lexington and Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War, fought on that date in 1775. Since 1969, however, the holiday has been observed on the third Monday in April, providing a three-day long weekend.

The Boston Marathon is run on this day every year. Also, the Boston Red Sox have traditionally played a home game at Fenway on this date every year since 1960, typically starting at 11:00 AM. Many schools, elementary through high school, take the entire week off as "April vacation."

Occasionally Tax Day falls on this day, causing the tax deadline to be extended by a day for the residents of Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and the District of Columbia. This is because the IRS processing center for these areas is located in Andover, Massachusetts, and is closed on Patriots' Day.