Mariotti rips Hawk

Controlled Chaos

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to rigidly enforce that superstition in game threads as much as possible when and if there's a potential no-no going on. Never works, but it's always fun to do.

I also sort of enjoy Farmer and Singleton's casual attempts to talk around it.

Would I be annoyed if an announcer started talking about it? No. Why? Because somehow the fans are going to figure it out, and if there's a perfect game on, the fans who just turn in won't necessarily know that the pitcher hasn't walked anyone unless you tell them (Walks aren't a standard part of the scoreboard). Farmer and Singleton have a habit of saying "zeros across the board" or something like that, which is vague enough but still says waht is going on.

But to spend an entire column ripping on an announcer for actually saying that a pitcher's been perfect? Yowza. That's what I call a slow news day.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Who is this Mariotti guy?

Never heard of him.

Tell me what Morrissey and Downey had to say.

No Morrissey today. Downey was in usual form talking about the Mannings that play for the Bears.

I won't acknowledge the Sun-Times columnist and am also totally against superstitions. However, I was in Phoenix at the airport and checked the score on my Blackberry. I noticed Freddy had a no-no and then did some digging to see he was also perfect through 6 at the time. I was pretty careful not to mention it to any of my fellow travelers on the way to Chicago. To me it is more than superstition. It is kind of a fun tradition to avoid mentioning perfection or no hits. As much as I dislike Farmer, I love how careful he is to send the message without using the words. Hawk typically avoids jinxing players while DJ seems to do it deliberately to get under Hawk's skin. Hawk probably just couldn't contain himself yesterday.

I was torn since I really don't care for Garcia but I thought it would be great for a Sox player to pull it off. I am certain even some Angels fans at the game were hoping to see history.

It makes sense that noone in the dugout should talk about it, but I don't think the rule applies to anyone else. I've heard that in such a situation, not only does noone in the dugout talk about the fact that a nohit and/or perfect game are happening, but on top of that, noone even talks to the pitcher, at all. Not sure how true that is, though.

Outside of the players and coaches the superstition just does not apply.

I was at a game where Santana was pitching and he was perfect for a while, I kept saying it as much as possible. Strangely nothing ever happened until I basically stopped doing it, and then he gave up a hit.

So am i to believe if only I would of kept talking about it he would of continued to be perfect?

Silly Jay writing sports articles is for grown ups.

Its funny Boers and Bernstein were just criticizing Chris Rongey for not mentioning it and praising hawk. This just further proves that marriotti is even a bigger douche bag. Hawk made the right call, his job is to tell the listeners what they f*** is going on out on the field. To believe in crap such as by mentioning that Freddy was pitching a perfect game would jinx him is just the way the cub fans perceive baseball. That isn't what were about.

Edited by WinningUgly85

Balance is right.

ESPN deserves more blame.

I was watching here on ESPN because the office I was in doesn't

get WGN and as they cut in blabbering about perfection and the next pitch

Fred lost the no no.

Mariotti just picked another spot to ride the Hawk and I think some of that column

should have been printed in green.

It was bait of Hawk.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Outside of the players and coaches the superstition just does not apply.

I was at a game where Santana was pitching and he was perfect for a while, I kept saying it as much as possible. Strangely nothing ever happened until I basically stopped doing it, and then he gave up a hit.

So am i to believe if only I would of kept talking about it he would of continued to be perfect?

Silly Jay writing sports articles is for grown ups.

Right on.

Unless you are part of the game (in the dugout...) the whole jinx thing doesn't apply. As a broadcaster, you need to be telling people what's going on. Can you imagine how many people were getting in their cars yesterday around 4:00 or 4:30 and listening to the game? It's not the listener's job to figure out what's going on. He needs to be told.

A guy called into the Score and said he would have stayed in his car longer if he had known what was going on. Therefore, the Score failed to do their job, period. Same thing would go with Hawk if he had viewers tuning in and not knowing what was happening.

I don't think Hawk needs to say "he has a no hitter going" after every batter, but any person who turns on that game needs to know exactly what is going on, relatively quickly.

Jay's dead wrong here, as is anyone who thinks broadcasters have the power to jinx it.

Once again a Mariotti article has Sox fans crying. :lolhitting

Not talking about a no hitter goes back decades and decades tradition is what makes baseball such a great sport. For the most part it has remained unchained for over 100 years. How can you not hear the line "there are five hits in the game and the Yankees have them all" and not see that as better than he's got a no hitter going here folks. Some announcers are better than others.

Now, I will say Mariotti handled this poorly. A more tongue in cheek, humorous approach would have created a better article IMHO.

What is even funnier to me is if Mariotti took 85% of the posts here the past three weeks and published them under his byline, you'd all line up calling him and idiot, doesn't know anything, jackass.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
I'm going to agree with Mariotti on this one. You don't talk about no-no's or perfect games. Fans should know or find out by themselves like I had to. He should've ripped ESPN too for cutting to the game.

Redirkles!

Mariotti was seen wandering aroubd West 35th Street today carrying 2 dozen rabbits feet, a Walgreens bag stuffed with Turkey wish bones and a large birthday cake, smothered with candles balanced on his fat head.

he was reported to have been asking passers by for directions to the bullpen.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Not talking about a no hitter goes back decades and decades tradition is what makes baseball such a great sport. For the most part it has remained unchained for over 100 years. How can you not hear the line "there are five hits in the game and the Yankees have them all" and not see that as better than he's got a no hitter going here folks. Some announcers are better than others.

Tradition for people in the game...those in the dugout. It's the same thing in hockey, you don't talk about a goalie's shutout during the game if you're on the bench or in the locker room between periods.

Has nothing to do with announcers, who's job it is to tell you exactly what is going on in the game. You shouldn't have to read between lines or anything like that.