Out of our 6 starters...

GreatScott82

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McCarthy, Garland and Vazquez will be in the starting rotation for sure next year IMO.

If Buehrle is not locked up before the start of the season then he must and likely will be traded.

Garcia must and likely will be traded this offseason, unless of course you're willing to give him a long term contract extension right now, which no sane person would do.

Contreras is the wild card, he's about 52 years old but still has some great stuff, he was fantastic up until his DL stint last year but after that he was pretty horrible. If a deal comes along that KW can not pass up I don't think he'd hesitate to deal him but if I had to put money on it I'd say Contreras will be in the rotation next year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
Mark or Freddy because it makes the most sense.

McCarthy makes almost no sense.

It makes no sense that KW would go into 2007 with no leadoff hitter. And the only really good leadoff hitter out there on the trade market is Crawford. To get a guy like him KW would HAVE to trade McCarthy. I see him locking up Buerhle to a 3 year extension. Garcia would be the odd man out if the Crawford thing doesn't happen.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
The Sox are going to have 99 million locked into 12 players in 2007. That doesnt work, I dont care how many people showed up to the park this season.

Garcia was very average this season and is making 8 digits next season.

So your saying KW should have Sweeney start in LF next year? What should we do about LF and our leadoff hitter role?

I think we may trade 2 starters, right now it would appear Jose and Buerhle would be the two guys.

My guess is that Williams puts every one of them on the market and trades the ones he can get the most for.

I would say that Vaz and Garland are the 2 most likely to stay, followed by B-Mac.

I understand why everyone is saying BMac, Garland and Vazquez next year, but why is everyone thinking Buehrle?

I would think that he would be the first pitcher they sign to a long-term contract. (Well, long term for the Sox, so a two or three year-extension.) Maybe rip up 2007 and renegotiate for three or four years to 2009-2010.

Why?

Again...young, lefty, pitches to contact, 200+ innings eater.

He has had one bad year and people want to trade. And even IF he has another bad year he will still have market value because of the reasons above. It's probably going to be, in order of who is most likely to be traded:

1. Garcia

2. Contreras

3. Vazquez

4. Buehrle

5. Garland

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
I understand why everyone is saying BMac, Garland and Vazquez next year, but why is everyone thinking Buehrle?

Because Buehrle and Garcia are the first 2 who will hit Free Agency out of the 6...at the end of 2007.

If Buehrle can be resigned, then he should be.

But if he wants to test the market or wants a higher price than we're willing to pay...we can't afford to lose a pitcher as good as him for nothing. We need to either have Buehrle or what Buehrle was traded for...we can't afford to have neither.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Because Buehrle and Garcia are the first 2 who will hit Free Agency out of the 6...at the end of 2007.

If Buehrle can be resigned, then he should be.

But if he wants to test the market or wants a higher price than we're willing to pay...we can't afford to lose a pitcher as good as him for nothing. We need to either have Buehrle or what Buehrle was traded for...we can't afford to have neither.

I think Buehrle would be traded not because of talent, but because they are going to be afraid they will lose him in FA.

Specifically I believe there are fears about STL.

I understand what you are both saying, but he is our only lefty and unless we can grab another one via trade or free agency, we can't let him go. Maybe we should take a page from Billy Beane. He's letting Zito walk, but he's got talent behind him....

Also, do you stay with the horses that got you there? I believe if Kenny wants to win now, he trades Garcia and keeps Buehrle, even if he ends up walking.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
I understand what you are both saying, but he is our only lefty and unless we can grab another one via trade or free agency, we can't let him go. Maybe we should take a page from Billy Beane. He's letting Zito walk, but he's got talent behind him....

Also, do you stay with the horses that got you there? I believe if Kenny wants to win now, he trades Garcia and keeps Buehrle, even if he ends up walking.

Yes, Beane is letting Zito walk...

But that's only 1/3 of the big 3. Beane also traded the other 2/3 of it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Garcia. Not only because of his salary, but because a power pitcher who has lost 8 mph on his fastball needs to go regardless. I dont care what trick pitch he reinvented, he is done in my eyes, and he is the most logical to go IMO.

Garcia is my 2nd choice...but Buehrle is more important, because Buehrle will bring back more in a trade than Garcia. But, if someone wanted Vazquez or Contreras enough to give us a much better deal than we'd get for Garcia, I'd be open to that as well.

Also, I wouldn't be terribly angry if we wound up dealing 2 starters, if the talent coming back was right. Even if it wound up with Haegar in the rotation...if it rebuilt our minor leagues or fixed some of our key problems from last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Garcia is my 2nd choice...but Buehrle is more important, because Buehrle will bring back more in a trade than Garcia. But, if someone wanted Vazquez or Contreras enough to give us a much better deal than we'd get for Garcia, I'd be open to that as well.

Also, I wouldn't be terribly angry if we wound up dealing 2 starters, if the talent coming back was right. Even if it wound up with Haegar in the rotation...if it rebuilt our minor leagues or fixed some of our key problems from last year.

I would rather trade the Count that Mark. Mark is such a character piece of this team and a leader of the staff, it would be devastating to me and i think the franchise if we dealt him.

I think Buehrle will be re-signed to a deal slightly higher than Garland's. He would have commanded much more before this season, but after a down year, he has lost some value.

Garcia seems to be the obvious choice, especially to a NL team in need of starting pitching. I could see him going to NYM, SD, LA, or even HOU.

There are more options than Crawford for leadoff.

This will be a very interesting off season to say the least.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
I think Buehrle will be re-signed to a deal slightly higher than Garland's. He would have commanded much more before this season, but after a down year, he has lost some value.

Garcia seems to be the obvious choice, especially to a NL team in need of starting pitching. I could see him going to NYM, SD, LA, or even HOU.

There are more options than Crawford for leadoff.

This will be a very interesting off season to say the least.

Always is with Mr. Williams controlling the team.

Garland is the only untouchable one.

Contreras is an unlikely trade candidate, if only because of his huge contract.

Vazquez is also unlikely, for the same reason as Jose, but also because he's younger and well liked by KW.

So that leaves:

McCarthy - unlikely trade bait as he's a bargin of a decent 5th starter. He's still unproven as a starter at the major league level, and has been average in long relief, so the Sox likely wouldn't get much for him in a trade. there is not real downside to keeping him and inserting him in the 2007 starting rotation. If he fails, you've spent - what $500K - and dump his ass. If he succeeds, you are all set for 2008. There's always Haeger...

Garcia - he's a favorite of Ozzie and, I believe, in the final year of a big contract. The Sox could deal him - the 1 yr contract makes him attractive as a starter for a contender, especially if the Sox throw in some cash... they might get someone decent in return.

Buehrle - I think he has a team option on his 07 contract for something like $10M. If that's the case, its likely the Sox will pick that up, then shop him - there would be a demand for a proven lefty starter. On the other hand, if 2006 was any indication, his best years are behind him. So maybe you don't pick him up and just use that $10M in the free agent market.

Tough call on this one - it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

1. Garcia 2. Contreras

Garcia for obvious reasons that have been stated. Contreras because I think his value can only go down. He's getting old, quite possibly pushing 40, and was terrible in the second half. The Sox need to go after another McCarthy. A package of Figgins and Santana would be excellent IMO. I know some hate Figgins, but getting Santana and locking him in the rotation for a long time cheap would be a huge lift for the rest of the team. I would not stop at trading 1 SP. I would most definitely trade 2. Garcia and Contreras.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Crawford is not the ideal leadoff hitter. KW can't afford to give up the cheapest, youngest pitcher we have. I'd much rather get Brady Clark/Ryan Freel/David Dellucci if we keep Mac.

The Little Hurt...I like it. Still have a foul ball that Grebeck hit straight at my head.

Anyway...yeah I don't give up McCarthy for Crawford either. Not when he's our only ML ready young pitcher. A quality leadoff hitter will be significantly easier to find and probably cheaper than a quality young starting pitcher, especially since we have veteran pitching that we can deal. If we dealt a veteran pitcher and got another young starter, I would not be averse to trading that starter for a leadoff guy.