Frank's Team vs. Maggs' Team

greasywheels121

It just has the feeling of Detroit going on to winning it all. Certain breaks going their way that seemingly went our way last year. Take tonight for example; Alexis Gomez is NOT a very good hitter, shown by a career .414 SLG% in the minors, and a .342 SLG% in the majors.

Tonight? Four RBIs with a two run homer and a two run single.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Come on THOMAS!!!!

Before the game, I got a phonecall from my Uncle who is a Tigers season ticket holder. He was bragging about the Tigers and I guarenteed him that Frank Thomas would hit a walk-off home run off of Todd Jones, and I almost looked like a genius. Half an inch away from making the most amazing guarentee in the history of sports. :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
I'm not going to lie, kind of made me happy to see Frank make the last out tonight.

There's no shame in being shut down by Verlander, but his last two ABs against Grilli (seriously, Jason Grilli!?) and Todd Jones were pretty pathetic. I expect Bonderman to make him look foolish as well.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
There's no shame in being shut down by Verlander, but his last two ABs against Grilli (seriously, Jason Grilli!?) and Todd Jones were pretty pathetic. I expect Bonderman to make him look foolish as well.

I think we both knew he'd have trouble against Verlander but ya as you said his last bat in particular wasn't very impressive. He had a few great ones to mash.

Edited by Rowand44

What Frank does in the playoffs won't change the fact that Thome, a lefty presence, had a better year in every category, was better than Frank, and it was the right move to keep Konerko, get Thome, and let Paulie go. And I would assume even the people who still defend Frank would have the common sense to admit that. Frank had a great year, but Thome's was better, as the numbers, the fans, and the Sporting News agree with.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
Hey Thome haters!

How about your hero choking with the bases loaded and two outs in the 9th? :lol:

I didn't know that you couldn't like both. I'll always like Frank; he'll always be my favorite player. However, I don't know why being in that club makes me a Thome hater!!!1!1!1!1!

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
I didn't know that you couldn't like both. I'll always like Frank; he'll always be my favorite player. However, I don't know why being in that club makes me a Thome hater!!!1!1!1!1!

Good grief.. If being a Sox fan meant that you couldn't like and root for former players I've not been a very good fan all my life. :huh

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
That Thome, this time, had NOTHING to do with this thread, yet it the Thome/Frank stuff was brought up again.

Ah okay, that is ridiculous. For some reason, I just assumed that you laughing, because you thought what he was saying was false. I think just about every Frank fan here won't disagree with what he said. We may be Frank homers to an extent, but we're not on the same level as Hawk. We have common sense.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not taking a shot at Frank Thomas fans (like myself.) I'm taking a shot at the clueless Thoms haters and their "He isn't clutch" or "can't hit LHP" excuses (how did Frank look against all of those RHP's?)

You are not part of that group.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
I'm not taking a shot at Frank Thomas fans (like myself.) I'm taking a shot at the clueless Thoms haters and their "He isn't clutch" or "can't hit LHP" excuses (how did Frank look against all of those RHP's?)

I misunderstood also. Sorry bout that.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)

Fair enough. Thanks for clearing that up.

It appears that in the past there have been times where people implied that if you like Frank, you obviously can't/don't like Thome and vice versa, when that just isn't the case. I don't know how long this debate will last, because it's obviously not dying down, with only one player still playing (at least through the weekend). However, I can't wait until Frank's name can be brought up without Thome's, and Thome's without Frank's.

And so the Big Skirt up and vanished again in a playoff series...........he didn't even have the sun in his eyes this time but he'll have some golf clubs in his hand come next week.

:lol:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
I think it's time we start discussing Thome v. Ordonez.

What does Thome have to do with any of this? He doesn't play for Oakland or Detroit does he? Based on the events of last night Id say its pretty clear who won this one between skirt and Magg$.