Official College Basketball Thread

f***ing Greg McDermott. You don't need to hug the opposing coach at halftime. Act like you want to f***ing win.

Also, UNI rushed the court against a team picked to finish 11th in the Big 12. But I suppose thats the kind of win you attach your program to.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
Also, UNI rushed the court against a team picked to finish 11th in the Big 12. But I suppose thats the kind of win you attach your program to.

The UNI fans gave the same explanation as Iowa fans did when they beat you guys in football, "rivalry" game. Pretty s***ty for UNI fans to do so, made absolutely no sense. Idiots.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
Well that was the worst half of basketball we played this year. Get ready for this score: 50 to 36. Yup that's right.

Ugly it was but we improve to 5 and 1. We got a pretty good SLU team on Saturday.

Gonna have to score point to beat SLU and Central Michigan for sure. Had the feed online and seemed they were conservative still. Nobody wanting to shoot. Pass it around for 30 secs than shoot.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
ESPN does not know how to not run s*** into the ground. Please mention Greg Oden every 30 seconds, please.

OSU would of won with Greg Oden. :P

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Gonna have to score point to beat SLU and Central Michigan for sure. Had the feed online and seemed they were conservative still. Nobody wanting to shoot. Pass it around for 30 secs than shoot.

Mr. Shaw is staring to turn into the player we've been waiting for. The first half we were actually pretty aggressive(especially Mullins), then we got a comfortable lead and we just coasted. Tatum stunk tonight and the one thing that worries me at the moment is Young is MIA. SLU is a good team and we need TY to come back from his vacation, Saturday.

The Missouri Valley was a comeback shy - Bradley's 2-point loss to Tennessee Tech - of an undefeated night.

Not a lot of great wins, but a 6-1 night nonetheless. Hell, Evansville actually won (and big) on the road.

My thoughts on UNI rushing the court - while I am not a fan at all of rushing the court, I would assume that emotions were high since they were playing the team their coach bailed on them for. In their shoes, I'd take it personally. The MVC coaches continually talk about their conference being able to play with the big boys and how they don't see themselves as mid majors, yet as soon as an opening at a mid-level school in a bigger conference comes along, one of them jumps. Comes across as pretty hypocritical to me. Hence, making tonight a bigger win in a UNI fans' mind.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
OSU would of won with Greg Oden. :P

Since nobody has mentioned Greg Oden tonight.....

Is it me or does he not look 30? I mean I know you can't hide such a kid by holding him back, but damn, how in the hell is he 18 or 19?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
The Missouri Valley was a comeback shy - Bradley's 2-point loss to Tennessee Tech - of an undefeated night.

Not a lot of great wins, but a 6-1 night nonetheless. Hell, Evansville actually won (and big) on the road.

My thoughts on UNI rushing the court - while I am not a fan at all of rushing the court, I would assume that emotions were high since they were playing the team their coach bailed on them for. In their shoes, I'd take it personally. The MVC coaches continually talk about their conference being able to play with the big boys and how they don't see themselves as mid majors, yet as soon as an opening at a mid-level school in a bigger conference comes along, one of them jumps. Comes across as pretty hypocritical to me. Hence, making tonight a bigger win in a UNI fans' mind.

Wish Bradley could have held onto that one as they got up by 8 or 9 with about 8 to go, but ah well. As far as the UNI fans go, I know what you're saying but UNI is the better team and their fans should have acted like it. I know that it's a different scenario because of the McDermott situation but I think I've made my view point known here that you should only rush the court/field if you pull off a huge upset or win some kind of championship.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
ESPN does not know how to not run s*** into the ground. Please mention Greg Oden every 30 seconds, please.

well even on the bench he is probably the best basketball player in the building. With Oden expect 10 less points from UNC and 10 more for OSU, he is THAT good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
well even on the bench he is probably the best basketball player in the building. With Oden expect 10 less points from UNC and 10 more for OSU, he is THAT good.

I get it. But no matter who you're rooting for, that line gets old when they say it 39083298329839839 times during the game.

You can't deny that. You don't know how sick I am about hearing that Assembly Hall should be named Robert Montgomery Knight Hall every game. Just because Vitale has the brain of a goldfish, doesn't mean the viewers do.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)

He hasn't played a college game yet that's a stretch. He is exceptional but he's not going to change a game by 20 points.

Iowa fans, of all schools, have mastered the art of charging the field/court for no reason. But hey, there are a lot of reasons I hate that state and that's one of them. And UNC/Ohio State was one of the worst 2 team displays of defense I've ever seen in my entire life, but the offensive talent on those teams will carry them to the final 4 anyways. Scorers all over the place.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
Oregon just beat Georgetown 57-50 on the road. Impressive win for the Ducks who are still undefeated. G'Town meanwhile was way overrated preseason.

G'Town is being stupid. That Princeton system is designed to shorten the game, have long possesions, and keep you in it. Georgetown however, has A TON of talent, so they should be doing the complete opposite to try and turn the game into a talent contest. However I give Oregon credit, they have a ton of big time recruits on that team and this year, are finally figuring out how to play.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Wish Bradley could have held onto that one as they got up by 8 or 9 with about 8 to go, but ah well. As far as the UNI fans go, I know what you're saying but UNI is the better team and their fans should have acted like it. I know that it's a different scenario because of the McDermott situation but I think I've made my view point known here that you should only rush the court/field if you pull off a huge upset or win some kind of championship.

I would say that buzzer beaters or last second game winning plays are also acceptable. Hard not to let emotion get the best of you in those cases.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
He hasn't played a college game yet that's a stretch. He is exceptional but he's not going to change a game by 20 points.

We'll see, but he really is that good of a player. The hype is getting a little out of control, but you have to realize that the points in the paint for UNC would go down, and OSU would be feeding alot of balls to Oden on the offensive end.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I get it. But no matter who you're rooting for, that line gets old when they say it 39083298329839839 times during the game.

You can't deny that. You don't know how sick I am about hearing that Assembly Hall should be named Robert Montgomery Knight Hall every game. Just because Vitale has the brain of a goldfish, doesn't mean the viewers do.

I didnt hear the commentary because I was at a bar, but I also hate Dickie V doing that stuff every game. As much as I hate him though, he is very knowledgeable about college hoops and I would say alot of what he probably had to say was true, but he repeated himself 2 million times.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2681154

William Self signed a 5-year extension with KU.

This saids it all

The Jayhawks, who have won back-to-back Big 12 titles under Self, have also been upset in the first round of the NCAA Tournament the past two years.

A Self coached team hasn't beaten a better seed in the NCAA since he was at Tulsa.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, Rock, but how can you honestly say that Oden is atleast a twenty point differential? I saw him and Scheyer play last year against eachother and while it was clear who the more dominating player was, Scheyer at half his size was just as talented, and it's not like he's coming in right away and propelling Duke to glory.

The Oden hype needs to stop, he isn't the best basketball player in any gym, atleast until he goes on the court and shows that he is.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, Rock, but how can you honestly say that Oden is atleast a twenty point differential? I saw him and Scheyer play last year against eachother and while it was clear who the more dominating player was, Scheyer at half his size was just as talented, and it's not like he's coming in right away and propelling Duke to glory.

The Oden hype needs to stop, he isn't the best basketball player in any gym, atleast until he goes on the court and shows that he is.

Well, im just saying that because of the way the UNC finally was able to score points and take the lead. They decided to start taking it into the paint and because of the lack of height and paint players of OSU, UNC was able to dominate that area. Oden is a dominant defensive player in the paint, and I would expect that the rebounding as well as the scoring on UNC's end in the OSU paint would take about a 10 point hit. And consequently on the offensive end, I would pencil him in for several boards and about 10 unrealized points for OSU.

Im all about making him show everyone how good he is, infact the big ten will see it first hand starting in Jan, but im not the only one who is saying that he is a dominant player. There are many more knowledgable people than you and me that are saying he is already a great player, and seeing him myself, I agree.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Well, I'll be watching then.

At least whenever Dudley isn't dominating.....

Red-

Here is a nice highlight reel, something to note. The sweet PG, Lawson for UNC (who is felton part 2) and Oden were on the same Mcd's all american team. In this clip, the first play is Oden blocking a shot to lawson, and Lawson just runs around everyone. Oden also swats Durant pretty good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tCYVQlg2NUQ

Edited by RockRaines

Yea, was he impressive last night or what? Boston College finally came out playing like I thought they could all along. When you lose your two captains, it certainly will take a few games, I just wish they hadn't been embarrassed in the Vermont and Providence games.

Oh well, Go Eagles!

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Yea, was he impressive last night or what? Boston College finally came out playing like I thought they could all along. When you lose your two captains, it certainly will take a few games, I just wish they hadn't been embarrassed in the Vermont and Providence games.

Oh well, Go Eagles!

He has the goods thats for sure.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
How can you compare Scheyer and Oden.

One may be a first round draft pick, the other would have been the 1 pick over all last year.

You can't compare these two guys. People like to hate guys who get hyped, but that doesn't mean they aren't the real deal. I heard the same crap about Lebron James from people who had no clue, and just hated him because he was on SI as a HS sophomore. Its the samething with Oden. The entire basketball world would have to be wrong for Oden to be a flop, and I think I will go with the experts on this one.