Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
The Salukis OOC home games next year are gonna be really tough if they draw Butler, but I really like that. If they get Butler in the bracketbuster, they already have Butler and Indiana coming to the Arena, Murray State is always in the mix, and possibly St Marys again. I hope Carlton Fay is as good as Salukitalk.net thinks he is. :)

Hopefully IU doesn't buy out of that game. As for Fay, from everything I've read he is the real deal, I haven't seen him play though.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 06:54 AM)
Um, yes, he could. Durant is that sick.

So that game a week ago when he only put 12 on Villanova was McGrady-esque? Give me a break, he's still in college, and his numbers won't immediately translate to the NBA.

Marquette down three to USF with about a minute to play. F***ing trap games...

W00T! 12 seconds left, tie game, USF ball. McNeal steals the ball and finishes the game off with a layup! Marquette wins 70-68!

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
The Salukis OOC home games next year are gonna be really tough if they draw Butler, but I really like that. If they get Butler in the bracketbuster, they already have Butler and Indiana coming to the Arena, Murray State is always in the mix, and possibly St Marys again. I hope Carlton Fay is as good as Salukitalk.net thinks he is. :)

The tentative schedule for next year is:

Indiana, St. Marys, Butler(most likely)/Bracket buster return, Western Kentucky, and BB game at home.

Washington Huskies, Murray State, St. Louis, and Charlotte on the road.

And probably a tournament.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
Cause no one ever wants to play in Carbondale.

I hope we play it, but I can understand if we don't. First, because the contract was made before Sampson got here, and second, the perception is that it's not beneficial for us to play the game.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I hope we play it, but I can understand if we don't. First, because the contract was made before Sampson got here, and second, the perception is that it's not beneficial for us to play the game.

Judging by what happened last time, you would be right.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
This isn't football, plus the team wants to watch cable TV at night. :D

Ha, that's an acceptable excuse. Brian is talking about your championship team in 02 though that came into Carbondale and got beat.

Edited by Rowand44

Enough of this ludicrous talk about IU being afraid to go into SIU.

They went into Kentucky this year, not to mention Duke and UConn. IU always plays a tough schedule, so to think they would weasel out of a game with a mid-major is a joke. The only game I know that IU ever backed out of was a scheduled game at Texas Tech right after Bobby Knight was named their Head Coach. That was more of a mutual agreement between the two schools, than IU backing out.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)

They went into Kentucky this year, not to mention Duke and UConn. IU always plays a tough schedule, so to think they would weasel out of a game with a mid-major is a joke. The only game I know that IU ever backed out of was a scheduled game at Texas Tech right after Bobby Knight was named their Head Coach. That was more of a mutual agreement between the two schools, than IU backing out.

Rex, don't be surprised if they "weasel" there way out of that game. First off, like Zach said, the contract wasn't made when Sampson was there, 2nd, the contract was only made because of football considerations and third, no major conference schools ever, ever, ever come to Carbondale. I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting IU to buy it out.

Thanks for the mid major label too, I guess when you're one of 15 teams to make the NCAA tournament the last 5 years, you're a mid major. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
Rex, don't be surprised if they "weasel" there way out of that game. First off, like Zach said, the contract wasn't made when Sampson was there, 2nd, the contract was only made because of football considerations and third, no major conference schools ever, ever, ever come to Carbondale. I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting IU to buy it out.

Thanks for the mid major label too, I guess when you're one of 15 teams to make the NCAA tournament the last 5 years, you're a mid major. :)

SIU is a mid-major, plain and simple. If you don't like the tem, that's your problem. But SIU doesn't have the budget nor the advantages the schools in the big conferences have. So whether they are a a top 20 team, a top 5 team or in 10th place in the Valley, they will be a mid-major. The term does not have anything to do with the quality of the team.

Lastly, there is no way IU backs out of that game. There is no reason for them to.

i don't think anyone really thinks iu is "afraid" to go to siu. i just think that the perception of a lot of coaches is that it doesn't do them much good in the long run to go to a place like siu. it's why i expect sampson to get out of it if he can, and a similar reason i don't expect weber to pick up a contract with siu anytime soon. not saying it's right or wrong, it's just how it is.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
SIU is a mid-major, plain and simple. If you don't like the tem, that's your problem. But SIU doesn't have the budget nor the advantages the schools in the big conferences have. So whether they are a a top 20 team, a top 5 team or in 10th place in the Valley, they will be a mid-major. The term does not have anything to do with the quality of the team.

Lastly, there is no way IU backs out of that game. There is no reason for them to.

Says who Rex? There is no true definition of "mid major" as it's basically a made up term. Problem is that most people use the term by quality of the team. Best example being Gonzaga, as most people say that they shred their "mid major" label. If you're using the term by athletic budget, then fine but most people do use it by if you're capable of playing with top teams.

Lastly, I hope you are right, but to say there is no shot of IU buying out that game is completely untrue.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
If you're using the term by athletic budget, then fine but most people do use it by if you're capable of playing with top teams.

I don't think that's true. People don't consider Northwestern, Rutgers, or Baylor mid majors because they consistently suck. It's more of a conference affiliation which comes with more money and exposure which helps in the way of success.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
I don't think that's true. People don't consider Northwestern, Rutgers, or Baylor mid majors because they consistently suck. It's more of a conference affiliation which comes with more money and exposure which helps in the way of success.

Thanks I think you explained it better than I did. Mid-major is not a negative term unless you have a chip on your own shoulder. Emrace it!