Why does ESPN Classic suck so bad?

My guess, and I have no facts to back it up, is that it is much cheaper to buy the rights to old boxing footage, than it is to buy the rights to old MLB and NFL footage.

I do wonder why they dont just rerun games that were on ESPN and were good. But I dont really know the licensing agreement, so maybe they still have to pay per showing.

I like me some ESPN Classic bowling action!!!

[Chris Schenkel]

"...if Earl Anthony can get a strike and 8 in the 10th frame, he will close out Nelson Burton Jr. and win the Firestone Classic here in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and the grand prize check for $5,000...."

[/Chris Schenkel]

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
My guess, and I have no facts to back it up, is that it is much cheaper to buy the rights to old boxing footage, than it is to buy the rights to old MLB and NFL footage.

I do wonder why they dont just rerun games that were on ESPN and were good. But I dont really know the licensing agreement, so maybe they still have to pay per showing.

It could also have something to do with the NFL Network and NBA TV...i've watched a few classic games on both channels, maybe they wanted to be the ones that showed the old games...

I totally hear ya about this channel. Before it was ESPN Classic it was "Classic Sports Network" when it debuted in the late 90's ( 1997 or 1998 I think ) and it was AWESOME!!! I would get off work and click it on and there would be a great NHL Playoff game going ( who remembers "Frozen in Time" with Al Trautwig? ) , or a classic baseball game from the 60's or something, or MJ hitting the game winning shot against the Cavs in 1988 or a series of season reviews for the Bears in the 80's and 90's.

Now it's all bulls***. They ran the world series of poker this whole last weekend for chrissakes. ESPN bought out this network and totally ruined it. I totally agree guys that this network has so much potential but it was totally spoiled.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Yeah, it does seem like the only thing I have ever seen on there is boxing.

but not nearly enough Muhammed Ali. they don't have enough of the other greats, either. my idea is ESPN Classic should have 2-3 hours set aside per day for Michael, Bird, Magic, Gretzky, Rice, the '85 Bears, Payton, Barry Sanders, Brett Favre and perfect games/no-hitters. and a lot less 2-year-old college football games.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
I totally hear ya about this channel. Before it was ESPN Classic it was "Classic Sports Network" when it debuted in the late 90's ( 1997 or 1998 I think ) and it was AWESOME!!! I would get off work and click it on and there would be a great NHL Playoff game going ( who remembers "Frozen in Time" with Al Trautwig? ) , or a classic baseball game from the 60's or something, or MJ hitting the game winning shot against the Cavs in 1988 or a series of season reviews for the Bears in the 80's and 90's.

Now it's all bulls***. They ran the world series of poker this whole last weekend for chrissakes. ESPN bought out this network and totally ruined it. I totally agree guys that this network has so much potential but it was totally spoiled.

Exactly. I remember fighting my cable company to be able to get the channel about 5-6 years ago. It has gotten progressively worse since ESPN bought it out several years ago. I never even check to see what it on now.

It has really regressed, it used to be better with a few classic Sox games, or they'd do a Chicago weekend and you'd get some 85 Bears (not an actual game, but a little montage type thing of the season), dynasty Bulls, or some Sox games. Now you feel lucky to get any baseball or basketball game.

On the same note, what the hell Comcast Sports Net, when it launched we were promised classic games of the Chicago sports teams, years later, I think there was maybe 1 old Blackhawks game?

it's got to be a money issue or the rights to baseball, football, basketball games are tough to get from MLB,NBA,NFL, etc. because perhaps they would rather sell these games at part of dvd packages than have classic play them and have someone tape them. but then again, after the sox won the WS, comcast sports net was able to play all the playoff games in the offseason. so who knows?