Ryan Freel Anyone.......

joeynach

The fact tat we need a speedy leadoff hitter to play LF and Gary Matthews got 5 years 50 mil and Pierre got 5 years 45 mil is just absurd. KW is right this free agent market is really out of control. It is really a players market right now the prices are just ridicolous. That being said we need a LF to lead off. The only other free agent option is Dave Roberts who now is all but assured the 3 year 15+mil deal he is seeking. No thank you, KW is not one to overspend to make a splash, hes smarter than that. Our solution Ryan Freel. A scrappy hard nosed player from the Reds who IMO has a little Aaron Rowand in him. Freel is a career .274 hitter with a career obp of .376. He had 30 doubles and 37 steals last year and I think he would be perfect for us. Hes a pretty solid defender as well, love the web gems. Anyway since the free agent market is absurb I would do whatever it takes to get freel. Would you trade Broadway, Owens, Rogowski, etc. I think this is a deal we can get done and would love to see it happen.

Doesn't look too bad for the money. His D numbers look OK, but I've never seen him play, so that could be deceptive. He looks like he's been sort of Mack-like in moving around the field.

I'd be open to the idea, depending on what they wanted in trade.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Farney and The Cincinatti Police Department say high.

Huh?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Farney is the little voice that lives in Freel's head that tells him what to do.

Farney likes to drink and drive, and generally cause trouble.

Why would Cinci want to get rid of a cheap, versitile, excellent defender, with a high OBP?

Exactly, you have remember Kenny Williams generally goes after high character guys and will not hesitate to get rid of a troublemaker. Freel has some serious issues mainly having to do with booze and mental problems making him seemingly off limits to the Sox.

Cincinnati on the otherhand does not seem to mind his insanity/legal problems so there's really no reason for them to trade away a very good, youngish, cheap player.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Exactly, you have remember Kenny Williams generally goes after high character guys and will not hesitate to get rid of a troublemaker. Freel has some serious issues mainly having to do with booze and mental problems making him seemingly off limits to the Sox.

Cincinnati on the otherhand does not seem to mind his insanity/legal problems so there's really no reason for them to trade away a very good, youngish, cheap player.

I think you are being a tad bit dramatic. If Freel were literally insane, I seriously doubt he would have lasted 10 years in professional baseball. Also KW gave Jenks a chance and he had some substance issues.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Why would Cinci want to get rid of a cheap, versitile, excellent defender, with a high OBP?

Because Wayne Krivsky is the GM? There's always hope....

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Freel strikes out too much to lead off for us. He strikes out a lot against the mediocre national league, imagine what he would do playing with the big boys

Alright, if Freel can get on base at a .360+ clip and be a little speedy, why does it matter how much he strikes out?

And, I don't understand why he would strike out more in the AL.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
I think you are being a tad bit dramatic. If Freel were literally insane, I seriously doubt he would have lasted 10 years in professional baseball. Also KW gave Jenks a chance and he had some substance issues.

Kevin Mitchell was pretty f***ed up in the head but still managed to stick around for 13 years in the bigs. If you're a decent ballplayer you'll likely find work in major league baseball no matter what kind of issues you have. Considering how much it would cost to acquire a player like Freel, I'd say his off the field issues are enough to keep most teams away, he's been arrested for numerous DUI's, has a history of drug use (coke) and comes with a reputation for being incredibly dificult to deal with in the clubhouse. Freel would not come cheaply (unlike Jenks) making him an incredible risk to any team who attempts to trade for him.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Because Wayne Krivsky is the GM? There's always hope....

Alright, if Freel can get on base at a .360+ clip and be a little speedy, why does it matter how much he strikes out?

And, I don't understand why he would strike out more in the AL.

Hell Grady Sizemore struck out 153 times last year. I'd say he's a pretty damn good leadoff hitter regardless.vx

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
I like the idea of Freel as a fallback option, though I do not really dig the imaginary friend thing. I am still holding out hope for Crawford and I think that we can work out a deal that will bring him in.

Verlander and Bonderman dropped by as well

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
If indeed he got 2 DUI's in 3 years, and has shown attitude "problems", then I rescind my interest.

one of the DUIs was when he was going the wrong way on an exit ramp (4-5 hours after a game). I think his first offense was swept under the table too.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Farney and The Cincinatti Police Department say high.

:P , as long as hes not beating his wife(if he has one) or doing blow off of hookers, i could care less, so long as he plays hard on the diamond.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)

Carl Everett says hi, twice.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
:P , as long as hes not beating his wife(if he has one) or doing blow off of hookers, i could care less, so long as he plays hard on the diamond.

Carl Everett says hi, twice.

Better leave out Julio Lugo then.