Scotty Po

aboz56

With Matthews Jr. and Pierre now off the market at ridiculous prices and Dave Roberts seemingly in line to get overpaid as well, could the Sox be forced to bring back Podsednik?

The only options I really see the Sox having an interest in are Carl Crawford and Chone Figgins.

Crawford would likely take Mac + big league regulars to obtain and Figgins would likely cost us either a combination of top level prospects or a starting pitcher + prospects.

If Pods were to be retained, he'd have to certainly split time with Sweeney in the OF and be on a short leash.

Unless KW has something up his sleeve to bring in someone established to take over the leadoff spot, will the Sox be forced to bring back Pods? I don't see a lot of options out there so maybe it is possible. I guess the upcoming weeks should tell us a lot.

I really hope KW has a plan to grab us some speed so we're not forced to watch another year of Podsednik botch balls in LF and get caught stealing. If we do have to keep him, hopefully he's relatively healthy and doesn't have nagging injuries all season. Hell if we could get a 2005 year out of Pods that wouldn't be too shabby.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
How do you platoon two lefties?

Guess I should have reworded it, split time with Sweeney would be better. In other words, go with whoever is playing well at the time.

I am actually in favor of bring Pods' back at this point, as well as leaving the team as is.

Could we use help in the OF ? Yes, but the White Sox, one year ago, were extremely high on Brian Anderson, and going into his season, love Ryan Sweeney. If Pods' can come into camp in great shape, perhaps the White Sox can rest him more often and rotate the 3 players in LF/CF.

I think the biggest focus this off-season needs to be resigning Dye, Crede, and other players not far off from free agency - the White Sox don't want to get involved in the free agent market - I can't blame them for that. They also seem intent on improving their minor league depth, and that could improve by not trading away minor league talent for immediate help in the majors.

This team won 90 games last season not reall clicking.

We've seen what playoff runs do to pitching staffs the folowing season and we have Minny and Detroit in the division - I expect these teams to come down to earth as well.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 02:53 AM)
Pods sucks. He will be too expensive with what he brings to the table. Sweeney at the new major league minimum of $380,000 is a better option. I'm really not worried about who then leads off. Perhaps someone else could be acquired, but the leadoff man is only guaranteed to lead off once a game.

Yeah. He's really not a good baseball player. There's a reason he didn't stick with a big league team until he was 27. There's better options available in free agency, even if they don't want to pay big money to JD Drew, such as Jose Guillen. It would be an absolute failure of an offseason if #22 is still prancing around LF next season.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
I am actually in favor of bring Pods' back at this point, as well as leaving the team as is.

Could we use help in the OF ? Yes, but the White Sox, one year ago, were extremely high on Brian Anderson, and going into his season, love Ryan Sweeney. If Pods' can come into camp in great shape, perhaps the White Sox can rest him more often and rotate the 3 players in LF/CF.

I think the biggest focus this off-season needs to be resigning Dye, Crede, and other players not far off from free agency - the White Sox don't want to get involved in the free agent market - I can't blame them for that. They also seem intent on improving their minor league depth, and that could improve by not trading away minor league talent for immediate help in the majors.

This team won 90 games last season not reall clicking.

We've seen what playoff runs do to pitching staffs the folowing season and we have Minny and Detroit in the division - I expect these teams to come down to earth as well.

PLEASE don't even suggest leaving the team as it's currently structured. It seriously aggrivates even to think about such a scenario.

Why exactly would Williams find it necessary to rearrange his ballclub after winning a World Series, yet the following season - when his team misses a playoff birth- leave everything as is? I understand the 2005 Chicago White Sox were unlikely to repeat if no changes occured, but similarily, neither will this ballclub.

It's lazy general managing to pat himself on the back and suggest, "well, this team just didn't click. I'm going to set back and revel in the beauty of my creation. No further moves are necessary."

Williams decides not to tamper with the offense? Fine. It's understandable. But this pitching staff needs McCarthy within it and someone removed; preferably for a generous package including SP prospects. It's just no reasonable to expect Williams to sign contracts to every upcoming FA.

For example - If a team were seriously considering overpaying for Dye, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. No way in hell he's signing another contract here if his numbers are anywhere close to last seasons. I appreciate what he's done in White Sox uniform; but considering his performance last year, his impending FA, and what he could provide in a trade - I'd be open to discussions. Although, to be clear, I wouldn't move him for anything less than an absolute killing.

Well I could see Chone Figgins being an acquisition perhaps, don't think we'll be trading for Crawford or signing a Dave Roberts.

When Pods is 100% healthy, he can contribute, unfortunately for the last season and a half that hasn't been the case very much.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
Compared to some of the other contracts we're seeing, it's really not that awful. We have such a glaring hole in LF/leadoff, I don't think it's too much of a risk.

agreed 100%

If he gets hurt, like he's been prone to doing, Owens/Sweeney are waiting in the minors and will be more than suitable as stopgaps. Podsednik is likely to make somewhere around $3-4 mill this year.

For this year, is an upgrade defensively, on the basepaths, and likely at the plate worth $1 mill more to go along with a DL stint?

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
Compared to some of the other contracts we're seeing, it's really not that awful. We have such a glaring hole in LF/leadoff, I don't think it's too much of a risk.

I'm just not thrilled with the thought of Dave Roberts patrolling LF beyond next season. For a 1yr solution, without quesiton; but not beyond 2007.

I'd rather select Podsednik over Roberts if it means one extra season of conditioning a possible replacement (Fields/Sweeney), or perhaps understanding whether or not he's capable of recovering from injury.

If Podsednik has a good season next year, they can sign him to a long term deal. If not, we'll let him go and persue other options.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 05:17 AM)
I'm just not thrilled with the thought of Dave Roberts patrolling LF beyond next season. For a 1yr solution, without quesiton; but not beyond 2007.

I'd rather select Podsednik over Roberts if it means one extra season of conditioning a possible replacement (Fields/Sweeney), or perhaps understanding whether or not he's capable of recovering from injury.

If Podsednik has a good season next year, they can sign him to a long term deal. If not, we'll let him go and persue other options.

We have such a short window though with this current team, and like others have said, KW will have failed us if he didn't upgrade at the leadoff/LF spot. The Southtown reports that we're more likely now to bring Pods back. I can't believe that's even a consideration after his pathetic effort last season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
We have such a short window though with this current team, and like others have said, KW will have failed us if he didn't upgrade at the leadoff/LF spot. The Southtown reports that we're more likely now to bring Pods back. I can't believe that's even a consideration after his pathetic effort last season.

I consider issues with our pitching staff to me much more important.

If Williams were unable to find a replacement for Podsednik it would irritate me, but not nearly as much as holding onto all starters.

He'll fail us (IMO) if the return package for any starter is not an obvious win in our favor. Think about it - our future depends upon it. We may need MLB ready pitchers by 2008 in the event Garcia/Buehrle (if not already traded) were to depart.

And I'm not looking for Carlos Lee deals where the package itself is crap, but money saved from the transaction goes towards the salaries of other players. No, none of this should occur. I don't care if it helped win a World Series, either. If receiving the best package means eating all of a starter's 2007 salary - do it. If such a decision means names such Pelfrey or Danks/Hurley are included, it's well worth the financial burden.

With this current market, it's nearly impossible not to have trade proposals in your benefit when five, six ballclubs are searching for solutions which don't require a 90 million dollar commitment. That's why listening to the Rangers balking at Danks for Vazquez alone is mind-boggling.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)

PLEASE don't even suggest leaving the team as it's currently structured. It seriously aggrivates even to think about such a scenario.

Why exactly would Williams find it necessary to rearrange his ballclub after winning a World Series, yet the following season - when his team misses a playoff birth- leave everything as is? I understand the 2005 Chicago White Sox were unlikely to repeat if no changes occured, but similarily, neither will this ballclub.

It's lazy general managing to pat himself on the back and suggest, "well, this team just didn't click. I'm going to set back and revel in the beauty of my creation. No further moves are necessary."

Williams decides not to tamper with the offense? Fine. It's understandable. But this pitching staff needs McCarthy within it and someone removed; preferably for a generous package including SP prospects. It's just no reasonable to expect Williams to sign contracts to every upcoming FA.

For example - If a team were seriously considering overpaying for Dye, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. No way in hell he's signing another contract here if his numbers are anywhere close to last seasons. I appreciate what he's done in White Sox uniform; but considering his performance last year, his impending FA, and what he could provide in a trade - I'd be open to discussions. Although, to be clear, I wouldn't move him for anything less than an absolute killing.

Tizzle - I am not opposed to making changes, and I'm sure Kenny is going to do something here in the weeks before Christmas, but they don't need a makeover - they can use another relief pitcher, another veteran OF would be nice, and some resolution on the starting pitching - besides that, I'm not really in favor of overspending on the free agent market.

Would you agree that they don't need to make drastic moves ? Would you agree that they need to improve their bullpen still ?

As far as the offense is concerned, the reliance on the home run is bothersome, and I'm hoping they can find another leadoff hitter, as well as get the bottom of the order more consistent. I don't want Dave Roberts for what he's asking, I love C.Figgins's versitility, but he a definite upgrade over what we have in LF ?

As far as trading a starting pitcher, I can deal with that to some extent - what I'm not sure I'd be interested in doing is trading a proven MLB pitcher for prospects - yeah, I know prospects are young, full of potential, and that's great, but I want to win next season, not lessen my chances by trading a Garcia for someone who may/may not help in a year or two. If that means McCarthy has one more year in the pen, he'll have to deal with it. Saying all this, I do believe Kenny will move one of these guys for the prospect deal you mention with the possibility of keeping at least one of the players they get back on the roster to hopefully upgrade the bullpen.

As far as Dye is concerned, and I've said this before concerning Crede, let's act like the large market team we are, and get them locked up before they leave. We're not the Pirates, and yeah, we're not the Yankees either, but there's no reason our best offensive player should be leaving. (Note - this is of course dependent of Dye asking for fair market value - not market value + a few more millions).

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)

You sign Roberts to a 3 year contract and IF he comes up big next season, he can always be traded as long as they don't give him a no-trade. It may be worth the gamble.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
pods tends to have a good year followed by a bad year. So hopefully hes due for a good year. I think if he comes back healthy he hits .280 and steals 50 bases.

Please. The guy lost his burst. If he can't steal, he's worthless. He hasn't been very good for at least a year and a half.